Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my limited experience with other breeds, they don't use their front legs/paws as much as our boxers do- whether boxing, nudging, shaking, etc....

Many of you have or have had other breeds. What do you think?
Do Boxers use their front legs/paws more than other breeds?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
In my limited experience with other breeds, they don't use their front legs/paws as much as our boxers do- whether boxing, nudging, shaking, etc....

Many of you have or have had other breeds. What do you think?
Do Boxers use their front legs/paws more than other breeds?
My golden did. Not Like a boxer, but he had no problem using his paws to throw a punch or two. lol

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Oh most likely all dog's do to some degree?? But Boxer's did get there name from what they do with there front leg's! They do tend to lead with there feet and not there teeth/mouth and that is kinda different in the dog world.

Cuz you know they are called "Boxer's" and not "Bitters" just saying. :)

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh most likely all dog's do to some degree?? But Boxer's did get there name from what they do with there front leg's! They do tend to lead with there feet and not there teeth/mouth and that is kinda different in the dog world.

Cuz you know they are called "Boxer's" and not "Bitters" just saying. :)
The name is fitting for sure!

I guess that also explains why some have a longer mouth, like the GSD...

There was a meme I saw that had a little girl, maybe around 8 years old or so, who was sleeping.
There was a large GSD on her left side, another on her right, and one fully awake with it's head up above her head. The caption said something like "The safest girl in the world." :) I'd agree...I think only a crazy person would mess with one, much less three of them.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
The name is fitting for sure!

I guess that also explains why some have a longer mouth, like the GSD...

There was a meme I saw that had a little girl, maybe around 8 years old or so, who was sleeping.
There was a large GSD on her left side, another on her right, and one fully awake with it's head up above her head. The caption said something like "The safest girl in the world." :) I'd agree...I think only a crazy person would mess with one, much less three of them.
Three watching over her??? LOL well that is an owner that has his crap together!! Most people struggle with one!!

But hands down and no crap ... if you get the GSD, thing right! That is a "Breed" that will put himself in harm's way for his "Family!" I have seen it and I was "Freaking stunned??" As were a couple members of "LE, when " two stray dog, came after rocky and I! And I slipped and went down on ice, while protecting Rocky.

And he was to my rear pretty bored with it all ... IE this old bit again?? But when "Daddy" went down??? Well this is different (Rocky)???

And he stepped over me to deter the remaining dog!! I was freaking stunned!!??? Cuz I was fully expecting to encounter a belly full of teeth! Cuz I roll hard and on my back or not ... that dog was not gonna get to "Rocky!! Without getting past me!!! But "Rocky" stepped up! Cuz you know (he thought) ... well I have not seen this before??? And you know ... perhaps' it's time to make presence known???

And he was freaking "Awesome" ... I hear a loud "Roar" from behind me and saw nothing but fangs, as he stepped over me to intercept??? And that last dog ... hit the brakes "Hard!" And just disappeared!!!???

I was freaking stunned??? As that behavior was certainly, not something I had trained??? And yeah ... it did take that, to change our relationship for me! But on that day, he was no longer a "burden, I had to bear?? But he became "My Dog!" :)

And while I still find "Boxer's" to be my first love. I get WL GSD's ... also! Just A different Breed's and different experiences???

And number three uh always or not, GSD's are "NOT" for everyone! In my view and you no, not recommending A GSD ... to everyone on a GSD Forum ... kinda ticks some people off! But hey I kept it "Real!"The "Good with the Bad" as it were. Are you worthy as it is?? Boxers as a "Breed" tend to like everybody, WL GSD's ... not so much?? :)

And even "Boxer's" I am reluctant to recommend to most people?? Cuz ,you know ... while not usually a threat to life and limb, Boxers can be a pretty hair pulling experience to a new "B" as it were??

I like to "Keep it Real" for folks ... regardless of Breed. :)

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
My poodle will use use legs & paws. He actually uses his paws kinda like hands at times if he wants to hold onto something. He doesn't box but he will grab with his legs & paws. Chips #3 she read dogs aren't for everyone...I don't think the breed is the biggest factor as some people just don't train and yes with a big working line breed its a big factor. I am dog sitting this week for a neighbor, we just finished up our walk and was headed into he driveway when my eye caught another neighbor dog (pittbull, barking and running back into his driveway). These are people that shouldn't own any dog. Nice people but irresponsible in that they think its ok to let their dog run out front to do its business. They always say he listens and we are there..hmm its takes 2 seconds..ok now I'm ranting. LOL

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Three watching over her??? LOL well that is an owner that has his crap together!! Most people struggle with one!!

But hands down and no crap ... if you get the GSD, thing right! That is a "Breed" that will put himself in harm's way for his "Family!" I have seen it and I was "Freaking stunned??" As were a couple members of "LE, when " two stray dog, came after rocky and I! And I slipped and went down on ice, while protecting Rocky.

And he was to my rear pretty bored with it all ... IE this old bit again?? But when "Daddy" went down??? Well this is different (Rocky)???

And he stepped over me to deter the remaining dog!! I was freaking stunned!!??? Cuz I was fully expecting to encounter a belly full of teeth! Cuz I roll hard and on my back or not ... that dog was not gonna get to "Rocky!! Without getting past me!!! But "Rocky" stepped up! Cuz you know (he thought) ... well I have not seen this before??? And you know ... perhaps' it's time to make presence known???

And he was freaking "Awesome" ... I hear a loud "Roar" from behind me and saw nothing but fangs, as he stepped over me to intercept??? And that last dog ... hit the brakes "Hard!" And just disappeared!!!???

I was freaking stunned??? As that behavior was certainly, not something I had trained??? And yeah ... it did take that, to change our relationship for me! But on that day, he was no longer a "burden, I had to bear?? But he became "My Dog!" :)

And while I still find "Boxer's" to be my first love. I get WL GSD's ... also! Just A different Breed's and different experiences???

And number three uh always or not, GSD's are "NOT" for everyone! In my view and you no, not recommending A GSD ... to everyone on a GSD Forum ... kinda ticks some people off! But hey I kept it "Real!"The "Good with the Bad" as it were. Are you worthy as it is?? Boxers as a "Breed" tend to like everybody, WL GSD's ... not so much?? :)

And even "Boxer's" I am reluctant to recommend to most people?? Cuz ,you know ... while not usually a threat to life and limb, Boxers can be a pretty hair pulling experience to a new "B" as it were??

I like to "Keep it Real" for folks ... regardless of Breed. :)
It sounds good and bad that you and Rocky had to have that experience. So many things help us bond. I think all owners should know what they are getting into- preferably before they get a dog. I think you have to be honest as it is not helpful to sugar coat or mislead.

My husband and I have discussed what we think our boxers would do if they were in a situation where they had to defend us or themselves. I hope we don't ever have to find out. Jax would likely take on another dog, but I don't know that he'd hurt a person. The other two I think would flee any situation.

Like you, we feel we are the ones who should be protecting them.

If I wanted a guard/family dog, it would be a GSD. My husband had them growing up, and my grandmother had one.
I really like how the Malinois look, but from what I've read about them, and my husbands experience with them (he was around the Military Police & their K9's), I'd never have one as a family dog.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
If I wanted a guard/family dog, it would be a GSD. My husband had them growing up, and my grandmother had one.
I really like how the Malinois look, but from what I've read about them, and my husbands experience with them (he was around the Military Police & their K9's), I'd never have one as a family dog.

Can..I too had GSD my entire life. As a child we lived a bit rural and wanted a dog that strangers would be afraid of. I always loved them and honestly I never had a problem like so many see to have today. I then got into Rottweilers, which is another breed that looks scary but the ones I had were extremely sweet and would hurt a fly. I always liked the look of a boxer however I probably would have gotten another Rottie but since homeowner insurance is a problem with both GSD and Rotties, dobermans (I've thought about them too) we decided it would be a boxer. Looks scary to those unknowing..not not he list that insurance companies were complaining of. so that how we ended up boxer. I am sure glad we did, he really is the most sweet dog I've ever owned. I love my st. poodle too but the boxer is more laid back now the he is mature.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Can..I too had GSD my entire life. As a child we lived a bit rural and wanted a dog that strangers would be afraid of. I always loved them and honestly I never had a problem like so many see to have today. I then got into Rottweilers, which is another breed that looks scary but the ones I had were extremely sweet and would hurt a fly. I always liked the look of a boxer however I probably would have gotten another Rottie but since homeowner insurance is a problem with both GSD and Rotties, dobermans (I've thought about them too) we decided it would be a boxer. Looks scary to those unknowing..not not he list that insurance companies were complaining of. so that how we ended up boxer. I am sure glad we did, he really is the most sweet dog I've ever owned. I love my st. poodle too but the boxer is more laid back now the he is mature.
It's funny how some of the scarier looking breeds can be so sweet.
It is hard to own certain breeds for the insurance, homeowners associations, and various laws in areas.
I'm glad it worked out for you as Kai seems like a wonderful companion.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
It sounds good and bad that you and Rocky had to have that experience. So many things help us bond. I think all owners should know what they are getting into- preferably before they get a dog. I think you have to be honest as it is not helpful to sugar coat or mislead.
LOL well I suppose "had to is a relative term??" As the saying goes ... "You don't know, what you don't know??" And, "Formal Obedience Training, does not solve "Behavioral Issues???" And GSD's are "High Rank Drive Dog's???" IE there social standing in the "Pack??" Oh yeah and Two dog's are a Pair and three Dog's are a pack??? And if Dog number three is "also" another Dominate Male??? The crap will hit the fan in about 12 to 15 months "if" you don't have your crap together! And six to seven months with a seven month old WL GSD ... apparently???

Oh yeah and "Pack/Rank Aggression" is not the same as Dog Aggression?? Cuz you know they don't have to "live" with some unknown dog. So you know ... they don't care about that dog. And on that note the next big thing I did not understand was that Molosser Dog's are Low Rank Drive Dog's?? IE there place in the Pack Order ... is fine by them. Boxer's, Band Dawg's, APBT/Boxer's that was my "back ground." So yeah ... I had no idea what I was getting into???

But people was the serious one?? Yeah they were an "issue" he was "Safe out and about" (after working with him and I did drop the use of a muzzle) and he did get meet many strangers! But at home ... yeah I could keep (everyone safe) but he would just as soon "Company leave, soon???"

So ... my initial assessment as a just a big furry puppy with a pointy face??? Was off by quite a bit?? But hey "WE" got over it. And it turned out fine in the long run! Live and learn as they say. :cheers:

My husband and I have discussed what we think our boxers would do if they were in a situation where they had to defend us or themselves. I hope we don't ever have to find out. Jax would likely take on another dog, but I don't know that he'd hurt a person. The other two I think would flee any situation.

Like you, we feel we are the ones who should be protecting them.

As a general rule, and we won't count the Euro Boxer's (Cuz they still do LE stuff) in the Mid West apparently???) But as a general rule Boxer's are still excellent guard dog's! I misunderstood that fact one dark night when Struddell "Exploded at the living room window???" I told her to be quite and she gave a small woof?? And did as told and continue to peer into the darkness, OK whatever?? And the next morning ... sure enough two car radios stolen from the cars in the driveway ... and Struddell saw them and let me know!

So you know if your Boxer goes off in the middle of the night and that is not something they usually do ... most likely it would be prudent to "Pay Attention!" A "Guard Dog's" job is to let you know something is up and you can deal with it! And what an untrained dog would do if he to confront a H/A to protect you??? Is anybody's guest, it depends on the dog???

But, WL GSD's and Mal's are "Man stopper's" and they are bred to bite Human's! And baring intervention and or proper training that is just what (some/many) are gonna do uh anyway??? And "indiscriminately" ... apparently, these day's??? It is a "Breed Characteristic" and yes, obviously if left "unchecked??" It's gonna cause ... "issues."

And of course the counter on GSDForum was always "Weak Nerves, Poor Breeding, BYB" Blab, Blab. Usually from the hand picked , Prima Donna Puppy, Crowd??

Well if "weak, nerves" is "always the case??" Then there is not much that can be done aside from proper management ie ... "no people" at anytime ever! A true "Bubble Dog." And such a dog is always gonna be both a burden and a responsibility in order to keep other's safe!

But many of them do have "Solid Nerves" and what works, works and those dog's can be "turned around successfully in many cases!" And you can get ... what is expected of the "Breed" still. I heard from many owners thru PM's, while I was a member on Germanshepardfroum and they all said "Thank You!" Rocky and I helped change those dog's from being a burden you had to bear to a "partner" you were "Responsible" for. :)

But the MAL's ... I don't know??? Most likely a perfect blend of Boxer Crazy and GSD H/A ... near as I can tell??? A law suit waiting to happen in unskilled hands but the Military Luv's them. And these day's they use Mal's and not WL GSD's as the K9's of choice???

LE tends to prefer Wl GSD's and Euro Boxer's in the mid west. Much safer around civilian's ... depending on how they are trained! Cuz, some of those dog's (Wl GSD's) are not safe around Civilian's!!

I got Banned for pointing that out ... one time to many ... to a Mod/K9 Handler/Trainer. The one with the Mal/GSD cross that attacked the Kennel Master I will also add! Course saying, that some K9 Handlers dog's were not as safe as my Dog was around people and that some LE handler's are not that good ... most likely did not help???

Nor did I suppose a link to a LE K9 handler who was going to jail that day because his uncontrolled K9, attacked a neighbor!! LOL, yeah I suppose I was a piece of work?? Kinda why I got a lot of private PM's! :)

But over here ...it's a lot less, "exciting??" Human Aggression in Boxer's is for the most part pretty rare??? As they are for the most part "Goofy, Happy dogs, that tend to luv people as a general rule?? Not that they can't make want one to pull there hair out at times?? But generally speaking they are not "Law Suit" on four paw's looking for a place to happen.

And I'd luv to get another WL GSD just like my Rocky, again someday?? But I missed my girl (first and longest.) She made me happy and brought the sunshine! And trying to capture that again was my goal but hey ... sigh life happens.

Ok well I gotta take Bella out and we may or may not go in the Dog Park?? If other's are already there??? She only get's to meet them if I see the owner's first and can't get out before they come in! I kinda find it hard to break 20 year's of no other dog's ... so yeah. Sigh we don't have Pack walks around here???

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As a general rule, and we won't count the Euro Boxer's (Cuz they still do LE stuff) in the Mid West apparently???) But as a general rule Boxer's are still excellent guard dog's! I misunderstood that fact one dark night when Struddell "Exploded at the living room window???" I told her to be quite and she gave a small woof?? And did as told and continue to peer into the darkness, OK whatever?? And the next morning ... sure enough two car radios stolen from the cars in the driveway ... and Struddell saw them and let me know!

So you know if your Boxer goes off in the middle of the night and that is not something they usually do ... most likely it would be prudent to "Pay Attention!" A "Guard Dog's" job is to let you know something is up and you can deal with it! And what an untrained dog would do if he to confront a H/A to protect you??? Is anybody's guest, it depends on the dog???
Raising dogs is kind of like raising kids...everyone has their own style and what's OK and what's not.

Bandit barks at 'everything' - just about, but I can usually tell a difference in his, hey the neighbors are outside vs. a stuffs getting real and someone should check it out bark.
It's funny too, with three of them...and Bandit being a few years younger than the other two, he'll be out barking at something in the yard...Jax may bark a little from inside...or sometimes, Jax and Tundra take off to go provide backup, or take over...or..whatever it is they need to do....at that point, Bandit is usually back inside by me or his "Dad" (my husband). Bandit waits for them to give the all clear...LOL

He sounds scary though, if you didn't know he was such a chicken, you'd likely not advance...you being most people.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The poster just randomly copies other peoples posts. Very odd
Agreed.

That makes me think of hollywood over the last few years...does anyone else notice how few original ideas there are and how many sequel, remakes or remake twists they do?

We are looking forward to the new Top Gun....hope its good.

I wonder if it's because of all the competition now days w/ Netflix, Amazon, etc...and there are more outlets to sell a script...or other reasons...anyhow, it's a digression from the forum I guess.

I like that there are more dog movies, and a lot more advertisements/ commercials with dogs...

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Agreed.

That makes me think of hollywood over the last few years...does anyone else notice how few original ideas there are and how many sequel, remakes or remake twists they do?

We are looking forward to the new Top Gun....hope its good.

I wonder if it's because of all the competition now days w/ Netflix, Amazon, etc...and there are more outlets to sell a script...or other reasons...anyhow, it's a digression from the forum I guess.

I like that there are more dog movies, and a lot more advertisements/ commercials with dogs...
Can't go wrong with a doggeh movie.:cheers:

Speaking of, my gf watches the hallmark channel constantly now that they are playing Christmas movies. ughh There is a good movie though called a Dog Named Christmas if you can catch it.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Can't go wrong with a doggeh movie.:cheers:

Speaking of, my gf watches the hallmark channel constantly now that they are playing Christmas movies. ughh There is a good movie though called a Dog Named Christmas if you can catch it.
Saw it just a few weeks ago. I think it's been out a couple years???

Gonna watch ... another Yellow Lab movie, "Christmas with Tucker," I've not seen that one yet!

And we watch lot's of "Hall Mark" X-mas movies every year! I sit a goal one year to watch ... "every" Christmas Movie ever!!

LOL uh yeah ... "NO," maybe it was possible a "Decade" ago?? But today ...
ugh "No!" Hall Mark ( three channels) cranks out dozens of new X-Mas movies every year???

My favorite Christmas movie was a "Nightmare Before Christmas." I used to watch with it Stewie (my first APBT/Boxer) but I lost him before he was a year old .... And I can't watch that movie without "crying" now. We watched it together. Although, it's been 18 years now ... so maybe I can try again???

But now my favorite dog based X-Mas movies are the Santa Claus.:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053241/

And that one is uh ... "weird??" But it has a "Boxer" in it!"

And of course being a cat person ... "Grumpy Cat!"
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3801438/?ref_=nm_knf_i1

And my all time Dog themed, Dean Cane, favorite ... "The Three Dogateers!! :clap:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3179402/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

But you know ... Marilyn won't watch it again/still. And my night time movie watching cat buddy "Spooky" won't watch it! Well they are both "snobs" as far as I'm concerned. :)

Bout the only part of it I find hard to believe, is when the three dog's steal the car to escape from the "Dog Catcher." Well they are small, dog's so of course it would take two of them to drive a car ... "Duh!" But you know dog's are color blind?? So how is "Barkcous" gonna know which wire colors to jump???

But aside from that ... I luv the movie! And I bet Struddell would have Luv'd it to?? Cuz as they say ... "Santa Is At The Mall!" :clap:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts