Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what fruits and veggies, does your Boxer like or are good for him to eat?

I have found out, he will not touch cauliflower or brocollii or Rasperrries.

But, he loves Watermelon and Bananas.

And of course he loves peanuts.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I haven't found too many she didn't like. She tried a taste of spinach just the other day. The vet said she could even try cherry tomatoes in moderation. I thought they were bad for them. She loves carrots, green beans, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, even brussel sprouts. Apples, bananas peaches, strawberries watermelon. By far her favorite is cucumber. A whole one washed with just one end cut off and she will go to town.

·
Registered
995 Posts
My guy likes apples, pears, oranges, bananas, strawberries & blueberries. Sweet potatoes, carrots (he prefers them cooked rather than raw), green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts. We'll have to try watermelon & cucumbers.

I, too was under the impression that tomatoes are bad... but not true. So, we'll have to try that, too.

It's kind of exciting to be able to give him these... no allergy problems at all with any of these. :)

·
Registered
484 Posts
And not only are they not bad, they don't contain calories, and I can use some as treats. My dog is not allowed any regular treats but the veggies are good. Haven't tried broccoli or cauliflower raw. Actually none of the veggies except for carrots and cucumbers have been raw. She likes the strawberries and peach slices frozen. I know they say peaches are bad but it's the pit that's bad. I've even tried mango, but that gave bad diarrhea so not again.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Cucumbers, kiwi fruit, carrots, yam, tomatoes, apple (not the core as the pips are toxic). All in very small quantities, no grapes they are very toxic to dogs.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Vegetables for my guy - usually cooked. Fruits raw.

·
Registered
373 Posts
As Berkshire said just avoid the grapes (or raisins) VERY bad. If I ever have a question I always google it first just to make sure as many pits/seeds are toxic so try to avoid any if possible.
Last night was Wrangler's first time eating any people food (That I gave her). It was a small piece of strawberry and a small piece of kiwi, she liked both. If her tummy does okay (She's SUPER sensitive, the smallest change sets her off) I might venture to feet her a small piece of veggie or something while I am cutting it up. Maybe once she's on raw it'll be better, with kibble she's so unstable.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gave Hank a whole Zucchini today. He ate about 3/4 of it, and then chewed and left the scraps all around on the rest.

Gave him a banana as well, he really likes those.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Duke loves bananas too, I stuff them in his kong with peanut butter and a bit of pumpkin puree and freeze the kong, yummy treat for the summer.

·
Banned
12 Posts
My Boxer loves cooked broccoli. We give him the cooked vegetables that have been for too much in the fridge, maybe carrots, broccoli (how long does broccoli last in the fridge?), potatoes. Usually my husband eats them, but when he's not at home - our boxer, Mike, does that. I mix them with some meat and he loves it. I think he's able to eat everything that's mixed with meat, just like my husband. You save a lot when you have a husband and a dog which are always hungry, you don't throw away so much food, I don't throw away any.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just got an 8 week old and trying to find out what are some safe snacks to give him? I read fruits, veggies but at about how old?
Also, how long does it take before he sleeps through the night? He looks great.

·
Super Moderator
7,031 Posts
We just got an 8 week old and trying to find out what are some safe snacks to give him? I read fruits, veggies but at about how old?
Also, how long does it take before he sleeps through the night? He looks great.
Welcome to the forum :cheers:

In general most fruits and veggies are safe but only offer them in small amounts. For treats we give dehydrated pizzles, duck feet. Himalayan cheese sticks and antlers are great for teething puppies.

At 8 weeks of age your puppy will need 1-2 potty breaks through the night. At around 10 weeks that should drop to maybe 1 potty break and by 12 weeks he should be sleeping through the night.

Attachments

·
Banned
12 Posts
Fruit and vegetables should be an important part of your daily diet. They are naturally good and contain vitamins and minerals that can help to keep you healthy. They can also help protect against some diseases.

Most Australians will benefit from eating more fruit and vegetables as part of a well-balanced, regular diet and a healthy, active lifestyle. There are many varieties of fruit and vegetables available and many ways to prepare, cook and serve them.

You should eat at least five serves of vegetables and two serves of fruit each day. Choose different colours and varieties.
A serve of vegetables is about one cup of raw salad vegetables or 1/2 cup of cooked.
A serve of fruit is about one medium piece, 2 small pieces of 1 cup canned (no added sugar).

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Martin is addicted to red color. He eats everything of red color, especially pomegranates. At first I didn’t allow him to eat pomegranates in order or avoid some kind of intoxication or allergy. However, after reading some sources online I found out that many well known benefits of pomegranate work on dogs as well. The most important is that pomegranates aren’t toxic in small quantities for dogs. Contrary, these fruits are great antioxidants, high in vitamin C and potassium. In addition, it has a positive impact on dog’s digestive process, heart and gut health. In case a pomegranate caused side effects to your dog give him much water to drink and take him to the Vet.

·
Banned
12 Posts
My Martin is addicted to red color. He eats everything of red color, especially pomegranates. At first I didn’t allow him to eat pomegranates in order or avoid some kind of intoxication or allergy. However, after reading some sources online I found out that many well known benefits of pomegranate work on dogs as well. The most important is that pomegranates aren’t toxic in small quantities for dogs. Contrary, these fruits are great antioxidants, high in vitamin C and potassium. In addition, it has a positive impact on dog’s digestive process, heart and gut health. In case a pomegranate caused side effects to your dog give him much water to drink and take him to the Vet.

My Pako is the same. He is crazy about pomegranates and this makes me scary. Though, now I can be calm after reading your comment and information on website!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts