Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s very odd that my two month old boxer puppy sometimes will use the dog door and do her business but other times she will pee on the carpet. I am struggling to know what steps to take when she pees on the carpet and how to reward her when she goes where I want her to. I’m amazed that sometimes she uses the dog door perfectly for such a young puppy.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Well I'm not much for doggie doors when they are young. I take my pups out to the same area on leash until they potty. Then I bring them indoors. Two month olds just don't get it consistently. Sorry I am no help in training with a doggie door, it certainly sounds convenient.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
To much freedom to soon and your gonna have more issues down the road. You can't fairly correct her for making a mistake (going potty indoors) when she does not understand the rules???

Lindar has it right (show them what you want) and right now, you are putting the Cart before the horse as it were. Potty train first and then you'd work on figuring out the doggie dog thing???

Now as for Training with a doggie dog?? LOL I've never heard it put in those terms before but I suppose that is what I did with my first puppy (my Band Dawg) ?? But we left the back slider open. But ... I spent two full weeks with him taking him in and out on a schedule. And if we had to leave for an hour or so ... I'd block off the kitchen and confine him in there till we got back home. Most likely there were a few accident but 18 years ago so I can't remember???

And puppies beyond Gunther were a piece of cake ... Gunther did the work. Always have one well trained before adding a second dog/puppy, that one I remember. :)

At any rate, the best advise is always going to be to crate train your dog/puppy. It makes it easier to set a schedule for potty break among other things. But short of that you could try an Ex pen for some degree of confinement, food and water in there and and after meals and a bit of time "watch her" then take her out on leash to a specific spot and say "Go Potty." :)

Some variation on that ... should work??? And an Ex-Pen ... :

https://www.chewy.com/b/dog-288?query=dog+pens&gclid=CjwKCAjw06LZBRBNEiwA2vgMVULyy2dWY8JVZ17kBPf1gMqmUgGjQZtRBQD6rn8-ZXivcyLhzrEmcBoCquEQAvD_BwE

·
Registered
6 Posts
We had a ton of luck bell training are Boston terrier, it is A different breed but if you look it up online it goes into get details the benefits......

Prob is though they also learn it meens let me out...so when he sees squirrels he rings the crap out of the bell.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
We had a ton of luck bell training are Boston terrier, it is A different breed but if you look it up online it goes into get details the benefits......

Prob is though they also learn it meens let me out...so when he sees squirrels he rings the crap out of the bell.
Oh BT's are kind of "smallish" but still Bully's so he or she is more than welcome here. :)

And yep the bell thing gets easily abused by some dogs?? There have been reports here of "Bell Trained" dogs, that ring the bell just to make there owners move?? And when they check the dogs go .. "naw, don't wanna go outside … just seeing if your on the job??" :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts