Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aaron just called me and told me that Frye had another seizure today. He seems to be doing fine now, but he is taking him to the vet to see if they think we need to do any tests. If you remember, he just had a seizure on September 10th. (I am trying to keep track of them.) Aaron did not describe the seizure to me yet, but I will ask him later.

Please just help me pray for him. I hate that he has to go through this and I hope that they will stop! [-O<

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Oh no! I'm sending good vibes your way. I hope it doesn't happen again. Coby had a seizure over the weekend and I've been hoping he doesn't have another. I'll keep Frye in my prayers. >:D<

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Hoping for the best with Frye. >:D< Maybe the vet can run some blood tests and figure something out. Is he seizing while asleep or awake?

G

·
0 Posts
Poor thing! Are you sure that they are seizures? Has his heart been checked out?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I don't know for sure since I have not experienced them first hand, but Aaron says that he drops to the ground and runs in place for about 45 seconds. I just texted Aaron to see if the vet wants to check his heart. They had a play date last night with my bf 2 boxer girls. Could that cause anything?

He is seizing during the day. Last time it was around noon and today around 2:30pm.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess he had two seizures 15minutes apart. Vet said at his age and since he is healthy otherwise that it is most likely epilepsy. I know arbie has seizures..which we have gotten tips from...anyone else have their tips to?

Frye is sleeping next to me right now. He got a shot of valum

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Start keeping a journal of exactly when Frye has these episodes. What was he doing right before? What food has he eaten? Was he awake or asleep? What time did it occur? How long did it last? Was it around any medication dosing times..ex:heartworm meds each month etc.?
Any information you can add to your journal will help the vet and you to maybe identify what is triggering the episodes.
Has the vet done a complete thyroid check?
I hate that you are going through this. I know first hand how scary these things are to witness. Hopefully this will be the end of them and everything will be just fine.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
You want to test for an under active thyroid. Some dogs that experience seizures have hypothyroidism. This test will show if Frye has a lowered level of the T4 hormone, so you want to specifically ask for the Total T4 (TT4) test. Of course there are other conditions that can cause the T4 to decrease, so if this test comes back positive for hypothyroidism you should have additional tests run. IMO, this is the first thing that I would test for when dealing with seizures. Unfortunately it's a elimination process trying to find the cause of the seizures. Sometimes it's never known and you will get a diagnosis of just idiopathic epilepsy, meaning they really don't know what causes them.

BTW...Which one is Frye?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I was so hoping that it was an isolated incident..Lisa gave you some great advice, I've never had to deal with it on a continous basis, but I agree the thyroid test is a good place to start..Praying you get some answers soon

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Sorry for the long post - but necessary to try to explain seizurte activity.
I'd still get the thyroid tests done - you need to ask for a full panel (try to make sure he's not put on phenobarb before the tests as that effects results) - also get his blood sugar levels checked out - another possible cause of seizures. They are still not emergency situation yet as Arbie's are. If those tests come back negative it is probably idiopathic epilepsy which Arbie has - his are complicated by hydrocephalus. Epilepsy can be controlled (not cured as some people think) by meds. And although it's good to have all natural foods it won't bring about a cure - I have Arbie on them all - he still has to have the meds. Frye's seizures seem pretty mild at the moment and there is some distance between them which buys you time to get blood tests out of the way before starting meds. When the results of the blood tests come through you can then think of the next stage - (therapeutic meds).
The main things you need to look out for at the moment to keep Frye safe is if a seizure lasts 5 minutes (he doesn't stop fitting or doesn't or doesn't respond when you click your fingers) or one seizure follows another straight off (in a couple of minutes). By seizure I am including recovery state. For example - Arbie has a seizure - lasts one minute - he comes round when I click my fingers he responds but will pace blindly round the room. He is in recovery. 2 minutes later he has another seizure comes round etc - if he continues to have these after half hour it's time for emergency vets. Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Frye just had another one, the first one I have seen. Aaron said it was pretty mild. He has been sleeping when they occur...what does that mean? Also, his res recovery period was probably a couple of minutes long. He could sit on command but was running into things a bit.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts