Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
sschumacher916 said:
Frye just had another one, the first one I have seen. Aaron said it was pretty mild. He has been sleeping when they occur...what does that mean? Also, his res recovery period was probably a couple of minutes long. He could sit on command but was running into things a bit.
They usually occur when sleeping or very relaxed. The recovery was normal - if he's running into things it means he is blinded and confused (all normal) - as long as he looks at you or tries to come towards you when you say his name or click your fingers then that's fine also. If he has any more before tomorrow then I would take him to the vets - he will need to be put on anti seizure meds.If a dog has two or more seizures in a twenty four hour period they are classed as cluster seizures and only meds can help with that. Arbie has the worst kind of cluster seizures - they just come one after the other - meds help to control them.
Also as Frye's not long had one and if he's fully recovered give him two tablespoons honey, put a fan on him and give him plenty food - if you don't feed canned normally it's a good idea to get some for after seizures.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Yeah, I would actually call the vet now and tell them that he had another one. I'm assuming your vet's office has an after hours emergency line, or you may need to get to an emergency vet.
Like Tracy mentioned above the honey would be good to give him now, but if you don't have honey, breyers vanilla ice cream is good to give after a seizure also.
The valium that the vet gave him earlier was used to stop another seizure from happening, so I would call them and let them know that it happened again no matter how mild you think it was. Seizures effect the brain each time they happen, so it's important to try to control them asap.
I'm really sorry you are going through this. >:D<

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
tootsie said:
Yeah, I would actually call the vet now and tell them that he had another one. I'm assuming your vet's office has an after hours emergency line, or you may need to get to an emergency vet.
Like Tracy mentioned above the honey would be good to give him now, but if you don't have honey, breyers vanilla ice cream is good to give after a seizure also.
The valium that the vet gave him earlier was used to stop another seizure from happening, so I would call them and let them know that it happened again no matter how mild you think it was. Seizures effect the brain each time they happen, so it's important to try to control them asap.
Also - it's very late here so I wasn't thinking straight - VALIUM MAKES ARBIES CLUSTER SEIZURES WORSE - mention that to the vet. Some dogs do not respond to valium - only phenobarb helps. I'm going to bed now but have Frye in my last prayers for the night - will check in in themorning nad advise you on other meds you can get etc. Good Night God Bless. You are both in my prayers. Hang in there - Frye will be fine - Arbie's been living with the worst kind of seizures a dog can get since eleven months and he's now 3 and doing great! [-O< [-O< [-O< [-O< [-O< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Arbiesmom said:
tootsie said:
Also - it's very late here so I wasn't thinking straight - VALIUM MAKES ARBIES CLUSTER SEIZURES WORSE - mention that to the vet. Some dogs do not respond to valium - only phenobarb helps. I'm going to bed now but have Frye in my last prayers for the night - will check in in themorning nad advise you on other meds you can get etc. Good Night God Bless. You are both in my prayers. Hang in there - Frye will be fine - Arbie's been living with the worst kind of seizures a dog can get since eleven months and he's now 3 and doing great! [-O< [-O< [-O< [-O< [-O< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
Thank you so much. We did get his phenobarb today and he took it at 6pm. The vet said it might take up to 10 days for it to kick in. I think I might be staying home tomorrow. I don't want to leave him home alone. Or my best friend with 2 boxers will be babysitting them, obviously not with her two.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
OK - if he has any more (two) between now and tomorrow morning just follow what I've said to do and then take him to the vets in the morning - he may need phenobarb put in intravenously to get it into his system quickly. If he has more than two you need to get him to the emergency vets. Each seizure can cause a knock on effect where they may get worse without something to stop them. Not trying to frighten you but I have loads of experience with seizures and I know you wouldn't want me to say everythings fine when it's not and I could help you help Frye. >:D< >:D<

21 - 25 of 25 Posts