Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
That's interesting for sure I have never tried to have three I have considered it though. Then I have a "lets get real" talk! Its not the dog care that frightens me its the Vet care! I have had some tremendous refinance the house kind of Vet bills so I would be leery of that. I would love having 3 dogs though I am happiest when I am around my dogs. I have few human friends so that's ok I trust my dogs a whole lot more anyway! Plus the friends that I do have don't understand why I don't want to go places or away and its because of the dogs my dogs have never been boarded I just know no one would take care of them the way I do. They are so special to me and yes I have them in my bed too! They don't crowd too bad but sometimes there is a struggle for covers. I have a friend who has 3 boxers they are kinda pack like though she has a male and female and their daughter dog but the male seems to be in charge. My dogs see me as the leader of the house they always look to me first if something is going on they don't understand.

Our dogs look to us as well if something is concerning or scary to them.
I understand your concern for the vet costs. We use Banfield for them so that helps. I've looked at insurance in the past and may regret not getting it someday... They are starting to get to the point where they do cost more with their lumps and things. I expect as they get older they'll continue to cost us more. I hope we don't have any mass costs...but also know it's a risk.
We boarded our older two twice when they were younger, but now if we have to go somewhere we use Rover and have someone come feed them so they can stay home. We aren't gone overnight or for long periods often so we don't have to leave them with someone else or alone for hours. They are a big commitment for sure and I'll be a mess when we lose them. For now they have a happy spoiled life and they will until we have to let them go. I hope to be there for that too.....and dread it.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
I have had 3 female boxers now the first one was extremely protective of the home and car not people friendly and not dog friendly my second female was a very loving dog not people friendly (except for a few people) very dog aggressive but would allow me to babysit my friends puppy for her while she was at work (also a boxer female) the female I have now LOVES everyone all dogs all people she is the most wonderful and loving girl so I think you can get both things I guess they are as varied as people. I have also had 3 males one aloof one social but reserved and this one I have now very friendly but all the males have been yard protective.
LOL, well you certainly had to go thru a few females before you got a "Good One!" But your current girl, sounds pretty much exactly like my Struddell, and I would dare say the "vast majority" of female Boxers?? :)

You "don't" have Dog Aggression or the Yard Guarding, Crap (which is useless for a watch dog) cuz you know if a dog ... "Barks at everything??" You tend to not pay attention, if something "unusual is up???" I have first hand experience on that one, my bad. :chair:

And of course actually "liking people" is a far sight better than "tolerating people" for the most part, for most of us. The potential for Human Aggression, is just another layer of "Crap" that has to be dealt with for some, "Average Dog Owner's, with "some" Dog's." :confused:

But your female has pretty much "all the traits" that one would look for me in a "Real Service Dog!" As there whole life's focus is "You!" But ... you don't tend to see a lot of "Boxer Service Dog's" as a general rule?? Although I have seen "One" and she was a female, in real life! Well two, if you count "TV" and the other was a "Seeing Eye Boxer???":)

But for the most part "Boxers" as actual "Working Dog's" and more so the "American Line's" than the "Euros" is a vast wasteland of ... "wasted potential??" Cuz you know most ot hem are just "pet's."

That work tends to go, to the usual suspects ie. ) Some spec bred WL GSD (seeing eye dog's) yep that is a "Thing" for some. As they can be spec bred for Service Dog work as can MAL's??? But Lab's or Golden's are the norm for service work for the most part. But a Boxer, even the right Boxer, just tends to take too much time! And time is money. But hey glad you finally found a great girl! :)

I think my female I have now would help someone rob the house but like I said she is the first one I have had like that.
JLOL, well yeah "generally speaking," that is certainly the impression they give???

Struddell was so bad or good??? With people, that I felt the need to "theft proof her!" Hence "on the Lawn." As if the rules were "Cyrstal Clear" to her ... she stood by them. Other that ... she'd happily, walk or drive of with anyone that called her???

Not that I ever left her alone for more than a minuet or so out front anyway. But hey crap happens and a quick dash in to the house to grab key's or coffee, you'd already poured and forgot and a "people friendly dog" can be gone???? :cry_baby:

My GSD on the other hand ... yeah he'd not be walking off with anyone. Still ... don't let the (Boxer) "Goofy" fool you. As she does know what is "normal and what is not???" And I'm pretty sure if she, saw or heard, windows rattling or door knobs being turned in the middle of the night??? She'd let you know ..."Cuz you know "this is not normal??? :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Last year we had the Polar Vortex come down in January I think. The high was like 10. The wind was blowing at least 20, he thought it was the greatest thing. I actually had to drag him in because I couldn't take it. lol

I'm not sure why it doesn't affect him, I'm always conscious of checking him, but he does fine, not a shiver or anything. No coat or vest for him. If anything he over heats very quickly, I'm more cautious in the summer
Bandit would like that too! The other two, not so much. Funny how different they can be.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I am sitting here watching Thor, my 7 mo rescued Boxer, try and bite dust particles in the sunlight beam shining through the front storm door...for the last 15 minutes. At least he seems to be able to be focused on a task at hand!
Too funny. That sounds like something our youngest would do He still hasn't figured out that the TV doorbells are not our doorbells (or the ding on family feud). He's lovable.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hello All! It's been so long! I am enjoying this thread so much! I haven't posted or checked in in months. I got a new phone and then forgot my password! Took me the better part of an hour today to get back in, so glad I took the time.
Quirky things Snow does... several lol
Tumbles - she does front tumbles when she is especially happy it is hilarious to watch especially if she does a running tumble.
Crouching - she does this when she sees other dogs on walks only tho and it's pretty clear to me she is NOT playing. I've been working on it but she gets down low and will not budge. As soon as they pass she lunges, hackles up and growls (sounds like she means business to me) and sometimes will bark. Its definitely challenging but I have learned to say that she is not friendly. Hard cuz she is so darned cute lmao.
Communicate? - she starts wiggling her butt and throwing her head around and like prancing. Also hilarious to me but idk what she is saying.
Mirror - she checks herself out in the mirror from time to time. Like head side to side and everything.
I could go on lol she is quite the character and I'm always laughing at her antics. IMG-20191109-WA0005.jpg IMG-20191103-WA0008.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Hello All! It's been so long! I am enjoying this thread so much! I haven't posted or checked in in months. I got a new phone and then forgot my password! Took me the better part of an hour today to get back in, so glad I took the time.
Quirky things Snow does... several lol
Tumbles - she does front tumbles when she is especially happy it is hilarious to watch especially if she does a running tumble.
Crouching - she does this when she sees other dogs on walks only tho and it's pretty clear to me she is NOT playing. I've been working on it but she gets down low and will not budge. As soon as they pass she lunges, hackles up and growls (sounds like she means business to me) and sometimes will bark. Its definitely challenging but I have learned to say that she is not friendly. Hard cuz she is so darned cute lmao.
Communicate? - she starts wiggling her butt and throwing her head around and like prancing. Also hilarious to me but idk what she is saying.
Mirror - she checks herself out in the mirror from time to time. Like head side to side and everything.
I could go on lol she is quite the character and I'm always laughing at her antics. View attachment 125244 View attachment 125246

Haha they really do the funniest things, and I love the pics too.

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
Finally got to the end of the thread! Snow definitely has a mind of her own. Her recall is okay. If I let her play in the backyard off leash she Never wants to come in and I have to call her many times. Can be frustrating she will stop. Stare at me for a few seconds and then resume playing lol If the weather is bad tho rain and/or too cold, I have to force her off the porch to use the bathroom and often she is back on the porch waiting patiently before I can even make it to the mess to clean it up lmao.
I am pretty sure she is super protective. Sometimes she barks at people if they talk to me Male or female or are coming down the street.
I finally took her to a dog park a couple weeks ago. She did better than I expected. She made a friend but that was "her friend" only lmao. She got into it with a couple dogs who wanted to play with them. She was all over the humans especially this one guy lmao. Like she knew him lmao but he was the owner of her new found friend so maybe that is why. Also he was a dog lover for sure, several other dogs had the same reaction. I learned pretty quickly that good owner follow their dogs around which I did mostly because I was not used to that situation. She was happy tho and kept looking at me like "I can run? For real???" She did good when I called her but I was definitely hovering a bit. I'm not all that comfortable around so many lose dogs and I had a not so great preconceived notion about dog parks in general. We will go back again. She acted much friendlier off leash than she does on leash which was suprising to me.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Finally got to the end of the thread! Snow definitely has a mind of her own. Her recall is okay. If I let her play in the backyard off leash she Never wants to come in and I have to call her many times. Can be frustrating she will stop. Stare at me for a few seconds and then resume playing lol If the weather is bad tho rain and/or too cold, I have to force her off the porch to use the bathroom and often she is back on the porch waiting patiently before I can even make it to the mess to clean it up lmao.
I am pretty sure she is super protective. Sometimes she barks at people if they talk to me Male or female or are coming down the street.
I finally took her to a dog park a couple weeks ago. She did better than I expected. She made a friend but that was "her friend" only lmao. She got into it with a couple dogs who wanted to play with them. She was all over the humans especially this one guy lmao. Like she knew him lmao but he was the owner of her new found friend so maybe that is why. Also he was a dog lover for sure, several other dogs had the same reaction. I learned pretty quickly that good owner follow their dogs around which I did mostly because I was not used to that situation. She was happy tho and kept looking at me like "I can run? For real???" She did good when I called her but I was definitely hovering a bit. I'm not all that comfortable around so many lose dogs and I had a not so great preconceived notion about dog parks in general. We will go back again. She acted much friendlier off leash than she does on leash which was suprising to me.

Good to see you back snowsmom.

Leash reactive isn't all that uncommon. I think most of the time its frustration because she can't get to where she wants to go. Would explain being good off leash. If she was overly protective she probably wouldn't leave your side off leash and would cause problems when people/dogs come near you. Its usually fear or frustration. In your case, it sounds like frustration

Look up "leash reactive" probably get some good tips on how to fix it.

Or wait for Chip to log on, I'm sure he has a bunch of videos. lol

·
Registered
131 Posts
Good to see you back snowsmom.

Leash reactive isn't all that uncommon. I think most of the time its frustration because she can't get to where she wants to go. Would explain being good off leash. If she was overly protective she probably wouldn't leave your side off leash and would cause problems when people/dogs come near you.

Look up "leash reactive" probably get some good tips on how to fix it.

Or wait for Chip to log on, I'm sure he has a bunch of videos. lol
Thanks Matt! Sorry to hear Zuke lost a good friend! These dogs are so incredible!
I have been trying to catch up on the posts.

Ah okay yes not overly protective then. She definitely was happy to be free lol. And usually when I let her off leash she sits and looks at me for the "okay" to run around lol

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Thanks Matt! Sorry to hear Zuke lost a good friend! These dogs are so incredible!
I have been trying to catch up on the posts.

Ah okay yes not overly protective then. She definitely was happy to be free lol. And usually when I let her off leash she sits and looks at me for the "okay" to run around lol

Thats good, and why if I had to guess its just frustration on her part. Probably a little easier to fix too. Although I have never dealt with it with any of my dogs.

Thanks for the kind words about Bruno.

·
Registered
556 Posts
We have been back to the dog park lately we took some time off and let the weather cool off too so I take my guys for a mile or two walk in the morning (I walk they run the whole time) then I take them to the dog park and let them run for another hour or so then we usually go out in the afternoon for about another hour just walk so its been nice. The other day when we were at the dog park my girl Kodie found this interesting toy (they leave toys out) and she played keep away with Mack for the whole time when it was time to go I leashed them up and its a little ways back to the car didn't notice anything but then I looked in the back seat and she had the toy she lifted it! She must have had it in her mouth the whole time! The next time we go back we will have to put it back! This dog has more toys than any dog needs but I guess she just wanted this one!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
We have been back to the dog park lately we took some time off and let the weather cool off too so I take my guys for a mile or two walk in the morning (I walk they run the whole time) then I take them to the dog park and let them run for another hour or so then we usually go out in the afternoon for about another hour just walk so its been nice. The other day when we were at the dog park my girl Kodie found this interesting toy (they leave toys out) and she played keep away with Mack for the whole time when it was time to go I leashed them up and its a little ways back to the car didn't notice anything but then I looked in the back seat and she had the toy she lifted it! She must have had it in her mouth the whole time! The next time we go back we will have to put it back! This dog has more toys than any dog needs but I guess she just wanted this one!
Haha, you got a thief. At least she isn't like that cat in England that was stealing the neighbors underwear. lmao

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Well welcome back! Most she sounds "normal" for the most part. And the cold she will most likely get to use to. The rain well ... if you take her for a walk in the rain, she will learn to deal with. :)

But if you give her a "choice" most likely she is "always" just gonna "Say No!" A coat my help ... and if she will wear a hat also ... let me know. Hat's were always a "Bridge to far" for my Struddell. :)

The recall ... well with my new "APBT/Boxer" mix, right now it's kinda like yeah "No!" For the most part. She was a year old when I got her and that made a bigger difference for me ... then I expected??? And I totally messed up the "treat" thing?? So yeah still working on that one. :chair:

But ... your Snow, that behavior sounds exactly like my Struddell! Because she is looking at you and won't come cuz, you know "why should I exactly??"
That one I think you can solve with treats (used correctly.)

Try a sliced up "Hot Dog!" And use it "right now" only for recall! SO at first just keep doing what your doing but the next time she does recall, reward her with a treat and praise! For at least a week?? Then fade out the treat, every other time and so you won't need them at all! :)

I finally took her to a dog park a couple weeks ago. She did better than I expected. She made a friend but that was "her friend" only lmao. She got into it with a couple dogs who wanted to play with them. She was all over the humans especially this one guy lmao. Like she knew him lmao but he was the owner of her new found friend so maybe that is why. Also he was a dog lover for sure, several other dogs had the same reaction. I learned pretty quickly that good owner follow their dogs around which I did mostly because I was not used to that situation. She was happy tho and kept looking at me like "I can run? For real???" She did good when I called her but I was definitely hovering a bit. I'm not all that comfortable around so many lose dogs and I had a not so great preconceived notion about dog parks in general. We will go back again. She acted much friendlier off leash than she does on leash which was surprising to me.
Hmm Ok, a lot going on here?? And Snow does not sound Dog Aggressive?? So yeah go with Leash Barrier Aggression. She sounds like a Dominate Female and a Bully. If she were truly Dog Aggressive ... you'd not be able to enter a Dog Park!

And sure "Million of Dog Owner's" go to Dog Parks everyday .... and nothing happens. And no one cares, it's only an issue when crap goes wrong! And don't forget about the "Owners!" Not "everyone" takes uh "kindly" to having there dog ... "assaulted."

There are ways to use "Dog Parks" and with a Dog in progress. Low traffic times are best! The fewer the better(for me) ... as it's something I have been doing with Bella and I prefer uh "none!" :)

It's a small town and the Park is sectioned. And Bella had played with a couple of Random Dog's and done great! But yeah she does have leash barrier aggression and has put on a pretty ferocious display from the other side of the fence "if" I can't get the other owner to back away from the gate!!

But it's dog specific, the dog's so far that I find OK are "Calm!" Dog's feed off the other Dog's energy .... apparently. If they are calm she is calm! Pretty sure a truly Dog Aggressive dog does "Not" respond like that??

Aww, well just observations the dog's I like are kinda rare??? She has only freely interacted with uh three in about three months??? Slow yeah but good enough for me. I have enough of breaking up Dog Fights and my dog will most certainly not be starting one! And the people thing?? If ... crap goes wrong??? You'll most likely find yourself out there breaking them up "alone??"

It's a calculated risk in any case?? But hey if the other owners are following there dog's, where you are that is a good sigh. :)

But right now with the barrier leash crap, the barking at people and the lung charge??? She sounds just like the kinda dog's I want to stay away from. But
whatever. Back on point and the people barking and the lunging aside how is she otherwise on leash and what "tool" are you walking her with???

Oh and the front tuck and roll??? I have never seen that, try and get us a clip if you can.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Moving companies NYC

We offer residential, commercial, local, and long-distance moves (both Interstate and cross-country). Expo Movers is ready to provide any moving service you need, from just furniture to an entire home or office, different types of storage services, Moving companies NYC, plastic bins rentals are available as well. With many years of experience and positive customer reviews, we are the experts when it comes to moving. Our relocation specialists will take care of every detail of your upcoming move.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Here is a Snowball tumble from earlier this morning lol When she is especially happy she does a running tumble. I tried to find a recording but I never seem to have my camera out in time and when I do I end up dropping it lol I couldnt upload the video here's a link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16OzsB4oJiK8Gl2rz0ZjhHHD0EF0w0O-Y/view?usp=drivesdk

Aww that is a hassle, you have to send a request to owner to access, that would be you. :)

But try again, save the file to your device ... where you can find it. And comeback here and scroll down below ... the "Submit and reply buttons." You'll see four Boxes. You want the second one, Manage Extensions. And I think from there you'll get it and it will upload the clip directly here.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Aww that is a hassle, you have to send a request to owner to access, that would be you. :)

But try again, save the file to your device ... where you can find it. And comeback here and scroll down below ... the "Submit and reply buttons." You'll see four Boxes. You want the second one, Manage Extensions. And I think from there you'll get it and it will upload the clip directly here.
I only have the orange reply icon. Doesn't appear to be an option for submit on my phone at least. I will try again later from my computer for now the link should work

·
Registered
131 Posts
I only have the orange reply icon. Doesn't appear to be an option for submit on my phone at least. I will try again later from my computer for now the link should work

Tried logging in from my computer and my video was still invalid lol but now I know why! it is because they don't support mp4 file type lol which is not visible on the taptalk app but clearly visible on the forum site.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Tried logging in from my computer and my video was still invalid lol but now I know why! it is because they don't support mp4 file type lol which is not visible on the taptalk app but clearly visible on the forum site.
Ok well that sucks. But plan "B" ... do you have a "Youtube Account??? If you do you can upload the clip there and then give us the link! That should work???

61 - 80 of 101 Posts