81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
4,940 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Ok so a new funny little thing has started happening....

Since her last season (so for about 4-6weeks now) every time Freya meets another dog on lead - they do the usual sniff but then she places one of her front paws on the other dogs head or neck and just leaves it there - usually with the other dog looking around like 'what the heck'.

Today it happened again with a Beagle. It kept trying to mount her then suddenly she flipped him over onto his back stood over him and pinned him to the floor for a few seconds (neither dog made a sound)

Anyone any ideas what she is up to, and why she is suddenly playing up these other dogs???

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
980 Posts

Since her last season (so for about 4-6weeks now) every time Freya meets another dog on lead - they do the usual sniff but then she places one of her front paws on the other dogs head or neck and just leaves it there - usually with the other dog looking around like 'what the heck'.

Today it happened again with a Beagle. It kept trying to mount her then suddenly she flipped him over onto his back stood over him and pinned him to the floor for a few seconds (neither dog made a sound)

Anyone any ideas what she is up to, and why she is suddenly playing up these other dogs???

A paw on the head or back of another dog is usually asserting dominance. Zuke has done that to I think two dogs and they were both pains in the asses.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Your Boxer Princess is saying "back off" to those other dogs or its a dogs way of saying chill out your too much! Sounds like she was telling that beagle to really back off or else! That mounting behavior people mistake for a sexual thing but its not its a dominance thing and she wasn't having any of it.

·
Registered
621 Posts

I agree with the others about the paw and mounting. Our boys will try to mount each other at times. We stop it when we see it, but there are not usually any noises or other verbal issues. When this happens, the other either stands and takes it or tries to move away.

I've seen some what I consider aggressive dominance by Jax with another male boxer that came over to our house a couple of years ago. We did a slow introduction and throughout the experience there were no attempts to bite or attack. We let Tundra and Zeke (the visiting dog) have some time in the backyard and they were fine- sniffed each other and did normal boxer playing moves.

We more cautiously let Jax interact with him and from the beginning Jax was declaring this his space and showing his dominance. The aggressive dominance as I call it was when Zeke would run or sprint. Jax was right on him (running next to him) and rolled him over a couple of times. Zeke was still wiggling and crouching with his front paws during the interaction. It made us nervous so we stopped it. They are much faster than us so we didn't want to risk it turning into anything.

We've seen rough boxer play between Jax and Tundra (litter mates) and people who don't have boxers or know how rough they can play can take it as serious when it's not- as a lot of people on here have shared.

Bandit will try to assert himself at times by sitting on Tundra or he will put his paw on him or Jax, or Bandit will push them out of the way with his entire body. They will all push the other out of the way if they want to. The other one just moves or gets squished. I read somewhere that you should try to support their pack dynamic and give the alpha things first and not try to balance things with your dogs.

I'd say we somewhat follow that. They know we are the ultimate alpha's. There are some hard no's (food or toy aggression- never had an issue with them and would not tolerate it) and at times we will stop them when we think we need to intervene (this is rare). The rest we let them sort out between them and they do well.

I don't know if letting them be lap dogs and sleep with us has impact on everyone getting along...or being all male boxers...or our training...a bit of all of it I'd guess.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I know what you mean by the running beside another dog and rolling that dog my male has shown some tendencies for that he is almost one now and I want him to play with other dogs and be dog social so I have been very careful about who I let him play with like you said I don't want it to turn ugly. I have not had him neutered either trying to wait like the Vet says for 2 years old but at the same time I feel like we are missing time learning how to interact with other dogs. My female is very dog social but I have had my male only limited contact with what I thought were suitable dogs.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Does anyone know what triggers ZOOMIES?

Probably just bleeding off excess energy. At least thats my guess, because I know Zuke will only do it the next day if we break our exercise routine because of bad weather or something.

If you ever find out exactly why or can predict when it will happen, you can probably become a very wealthy person. lol

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Probably just bleeding off excess energy. At least thats my guess, because I know Zuke will only do it the next day if we break our exercise routine because of bad weather or something.

If you ever find out exactly why or can predict when it will happen, you can probably become a very wealthy person. lol
I absolutely love seeing it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I love watching them take off like that and tuck their butts in and run I love it it always makes me laugh I just think they do it because its fun and they are happy!

·
Banned
15 Posts
Zuke did the crouching thing for awhile when he was a pup. Pretty sure its a submissive stance, getting lower than the other dog, although some people see it as stalking. He will still do the low crouch when he is greeting some of his friends that are older than him.

81 - 100 of 100 Posts