Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would share a funny story with you guys about Penny.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
That's a great story Liz, glad your kids were there to rescue you, but tell us did you finally get her accept the crate?  Now you have Lilly of the Valley and Penny(ies) from Heaven.  Tell us more about your new girl.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
:lol: That is a great story and sorry, so funny.  Penny sounds like a character.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
wow that is hilarious!!! i wish the kids would have video taped it first so we could all see it   lol. I think you are wonderful for taking penny in and hopefully she wont sit on you anymore....by the looks of how tiny you are i think she might crush you if she sat on the wrong part of you   lol

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK...So Penny (Penelope) is 95 lbs and I'm 115 lbs.  So yeah, your right...If she sat on the wrong part of me I'd probably be a gonner.  She does think, much like Lilly, that I'm her personal couch.  LOL!!!

We are tsill working on the crate.  She loves FOOD!!!  So I'm gonna feed her in the crate and that will help her accept it.  I'm also gonna put her on three meals a day at 3 cups per (this way she's getting her 9 cups, but spread out).  She was being freefed, but I don't do or agree with it.  She needs to be on a schedule and this is one of the best ways to do it.

I'm so glad my kids didn't/don't know how to take a video or I would've been really embarrassed.  

She will go a bit into the crate, but only so far right now as she's never been crated and it's a foreign thing for her.  Training a blind dog to a crate takes even more patience and time, but can be done.  It also requires an imagination.  She's great for me though.  Now I need to get hubby out of his funk.  He's really weird, now, about how big, slobbery, and blind she is.  He thinks she's gonna take more work than either I can handle or she's just gonna be a nuisance or something.  

She is HUGE, slobbery and blind, but she knows the layout of my house already and has gotten really good at telling me when she needs to potty.  I wipe her up after every meal and drink she gets (to cut back on slobbers and dribbled foor on the floor---she's worse than Lilly if you can believe that) and I'm gonna have to start mopping at least every other day to keep the floor from getting slobber funks.

She's a red bloodhound, as the picture I posted depicts, and is bigger than average for a female (what's with me and the slightly larger than average female dogs?).  She has no eyes and has a slight eye infection that is scheduled to be looked at tomorrow.  She also has entropion [sp] (turning in of the eye lid) which causes excessive tearing in her case (no eyes to irritate).  Depending on what the vet says, I may go ahead and have the surgery done for it, just for her comfort.  Entropion is relatively common in Bloodhounds (as well as Boxers) because of the droopy eyes).

Training is going well.  She knows the touch signal for sit and is rapidly picking up the touch signal for down.  She VERY intelligent and picks up on her training well.

She's a blast!!!

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Well that's just wonderful!  I love bloodhounds.  And hey, at least she's not any bigger.  My Rocky puppy was 120 pounds and just loved to sit on me! :wink:  :lol:
Best of luck with her and let us know how it goes.

Z

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I can actually say that I think she's gonna put more weight on because I'm switching her from the crap puppy food (mind you she's 4 yrs old and was eating puppy food

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Liz what can I say you two just sound perfect for each other, or should I say you three.  Will Lilly be a seeing eye dog for her?  I'm serious about this question.  Would/will Lilly be able to work with you and Penny - like going to the beach or would that be too confusing for her?  Probably a dumb question, but just wondering.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually Lilly has already started to guide Penny around and about.  Penny is starting to look to Lilly to help her as well.

So I guess to answer your question...yeah.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Ok, after I picked myself up off the floor from laughing, my first thought was, I wish your girls had gotten a pic. Liz that is hilarious..Penny sounds like a joy and all she needed was someone that could take a bit of time to work with her...

As for our Lilly girl, well, it doesn't surprise me one bit that she has taken Penny under her paw and is working with her..Your Lilly is one in a million and it's going to help tremendously that she can work with Penny and teach her and be her eyes....

Give both of them a big hug from their Auntie Willow.... :)

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Lilly is one in a million and so are you.  I can't wait to hear how Penny progresses with her two new trainers.

·
Registered
780 Posts
That was a great laugh!  I agree a picture would have been perfect!  Sounds like you have a houseful now!  What a wonderful thing you are doing for Penny!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts