Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So drew and i have been talking about what type of dog to get Dungy for a future brother or sister.  We dont plan on getting one till dungy is around 2 but we wanna start looking now to get a good quality puppy.  

My first question is, we have been looking at bloodhounds, but do not know if they are too "lazy" or calm for a boxer.

And 2. we are defiantly considering a boxer but where would go to look for good breeders in Indiana.  I know that most ppl say to look at your boxer club in the state but ours seems to be a rescue and doesnt talk about breeders... if someone could help me that would be awesome!!!

THANKS

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I always resort to Peggy Otto's site http://www.pro-boxers.com/am_breeders.html

Look thru some sites and see what breeders are in your state.  Also just because they are listed here does not always mean they health test or are reputable.  Gotta do that work yourself.

I also tell people to go to a local dog show and see the boxers, meet the breeders  - for Indiana here are the upcoming shows -
http://www.infodog.com/panels/in.htm

**Not sure if Cincinnati it far from you but 10 minutes away is Fort Mitchell KY, and the home of the American Boxer Club Nationals.  All breeders and dog from across the US will be there.   First week in May - free to watch - and if you want to drool over some sexy dogs, totally worth the trip!!!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh my... i actually have been to that site and i got bored and went to like every breeder site on there lol

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Laura....my brother works for the Sherriff's Department and he trains and owns bloodhounds (search and rescue)....and I see probably off the top of my head about 7 or 8 of them at work.....IMO they would not be a good "playmate" for a boxer....total opposite personality....as pups they are so mellow and laid back...but they will dig holes to keep themselves busy....:) They are the hounds that are major barker's...Dont get me wrong wonderful, smart and cute dog/pups but just their own personality for sure and that is total opposite of boxer!
But, hey sometimes opposite is good :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
My dad had a Bloodhound when I was growing up.  You couldn't pay me to have one now!  They are adorable but they can be VERY hard to train.  They get bored easily if they are not doing what they were bred for. They are also prone to ear infections and skin problems.  I have to agree with Sharon they probably would not be a good playmate for a Boxer.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Well, if for some reason you didn't get another Boxer, a Lab or a Golden would be good choices..Myself personally if I couldn't have Boxers, I would have Goldens, love the breed, love the temperment...

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have basically decided on a brindle boxer LOL but we also were looking at other options. We both at some point want a French mastiff and a Newfoundland but we love how boxers play. My aunt has a French and it is the craziest thing ever but idk if it is too big and nefie is basically a big bear LOL.

This is why we r waiting two years to figure it out

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Hope you have lots of room for all those puppies! LOL. Dungy is such a little cutie-pie. Love his little smiley pic. I'm sure he'll love his little sis or bro when the time comes. I've been looking for a breeder, too. I've come across several names in Indiana but I don't know anything about them. I'm in KY. I'm meeting with a breeder in Bowling Green this weekend. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually go to school at University of Kentucky... we plan to get another when i graduate in 2 years so dungy will be a little older... its just deciding what dog would be best... but we both want another boxer so the decision has already been made lol

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Sounds like another boxer it is!
I don't know if I would get another breed (maybe a greyhound later since I think they are pretty) but IF you decide on another breed I would just see how Dungy plays with them at the dog park.  Felix loves labs and huskies, but will play with anything with the right personality. :)

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
A greyhound would probably be great--our whippet, Angelina is WONDERFUL with Bibby. She's the older, dominant one, even though he's bigger. They LOVE to run and wrestle and play! LOTS of arrrrr-ing and snorting!!  LOL!!  :lol:

xoxo

Julia

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I think another boxer is a wonderful choice!  :D
Atleast that way you already know the breed and know what to expect.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
boxers are best of course but i do like goldens and for small dogs i like bostons right now because they are hardy little dogs that could probably stand up to the play of a boxer. There are only a few small breeds i like so im looking for another dog for a townhouse. If i get a bigger house a boxer it is! I love french mastiffs too but i dont know how they play, do you?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Who is the breeder in Bowling Green, KY. We lost our boxer Monday and I'm looking for another one. I have been looking everywhere and can't find the one I want. I live an hour from BG.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Bloodhounds are noisy with their loud baying.  If running off-leash is a must to wear out your Boxer, I do think that breed is not reliable off leash.  I'd find a breed that didn't tend to bark or yip.  This could make for a peaceful household, and less stress on the Boxer.  They're easily set off into "alert" mode.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Donya\";p=\"113723 said:
boxers are best of course but i do like goldens and for small dogs i like bostons right now because they are hardy little dogs that could probably stand up to the play of a boxer. There are only a few small breeds i like so im looking for another dog for a townhouse. If i get a bigger house a boxer it is! I love french mastiffs too but i dont know how they play, do you?
My aunt and uncle have two and they are amazing.  They are big hooches from turner and hooch.  Theirs are really playful but u gotta watch out cuz they are freaking tanks and can take u out in a second.  I really want one i just dont know if they are right for boxers.... good thing i got a little while to figure it out lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts