Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a pretty new drug on the market called Porphyromonas Denticanis-Gulae-Salivosa Bacterin.  :lol: You will be told it is the "Dental shot or teeth shot".  It is designed to help in preventing periodontitis.  Here is the web site and who makes it.  

http://www.pfizerah.com/product_overvie ... species=CN

It has been documented that this shot has caused a reaction in dogs (mostly smaller dogs) but after receiving the shot the dogs were painful all over, a vaccine reaction known as myalgia (muscle soreness). One recovered, but the other morphed into something even more sinister: polyarthritis.

What is polyarthritis?

Polyarthritis refers to multiple inflamed, swollen, and painful joints. Joint pain will often cause your pet to be reluctant to walk. Immune-mediated polyarthritis refers to an abnormal immune response by the body directed at the joints. Immune-mediated polyarthritis may be caused either by an infection (less common) or an auto-immune response by the body against its own joint tissues (more common).

When immune-mediated polyarthritis is caused by an infection in the body, the infection is usually not in the joints themselves. Rather the infection is deep seated elsewhere in the body. Minor or superficial infections in the body do not usually cause this disease. The presence of inflamed joints resulting from an infection elsewhere in the body is similar to having

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
thanks for the heads up!

G

·
0 Posts
OK oh my god!!!! my vet just recomended that to me and I said ok for both dogs duh i guess i should check before i do eh!! I have not given it to them yet nor will i know and i will be asking some question on their next visit in 2 days and sending this crap back refund or no refund.. he also told me i still had to brush their teeth (baby hates her teeth being brushed she usally tryies to run from me and i usally get more dog toothpaste on me then in her mouth moe don't seam to mind at all but baby grrrr its like trying to get a wall to lay down and hold it there to brushe her teeth and being preg it sucks that is why i thought it would be a great idea boy was i wrong...)anyway if any one has a sugestion on how to make this easier on me and baby please let me know i am only 4 months preg but look 7 months the baby is big so i am huge lol..and makes it hard to get her teeth done.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Thanks for the info Sharon!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
babygirl\";p=\"49901 said:
OK oh my god!!!! my vet just recomended that to me and I said ok for both dogs duh i guess i should check before i do eh!! I have not given it to them yet nor will i know and i will be asking some question on their next visit in 2 days and sending this crap back refund or no refund.. he also told me i still had to brush their teeth (baby hates her teeth being brushed she usally tryies to run from me and i usally get more dog toothpaste on me then in her mouth moe don't seam to mind at all but baby grrrr its like trying to get a wall to lay down and hold it there to brushe her teeth and being preg it sucks that is why i thought it would be a great idea boy was i wrong...)anyway if any one has a sugestion on how to make this easier on me and baby please let me know i am only 4 months preg but look 7 months the baby is big so i am huge lol..and makes it hard to get her teeth done.
Well, it is not proven to happen in every case and this is a very new product.  The negative information was on two pets, but my idea is why take a chance.  The hospital I work at is not going to carry the product......

My suggestion would be to wait until after you have the baby and then try to do the brushing :)  Dont get me wrong brushing teeth will help some, but the main thing with healthy gums and teeth in dogs is to keep them on dry kibble and also to make sure they have something that helps scrape the gunk off the teeth.  So there are plenty of dental type bones that will help with this. you can also brush them without any toothpaste.  You can take a rag and put it on your finger and just use warm water to swipe over them.  The main goal is removing some excess film from the teeth.

I will be honest....I work in the field and I do dental cleanings and I do not brush my dogs teeth.  The main one's I see that keep a pretty bad mouth and bad teeth eat can food or/and table scraps not a dry. :)

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Our reason for not having the product was not because of the new information on bad reactions but because of something they said when selling the product and I am actually suprised to see it right there on their web site.

It clearly states: Revaccination: Duration of immunity for this product has not been determined; six and twelve month intervals are being evaluated.

My thinking was they are not sure how long it even last, so how can they be sure it even works?  No thanks!

G

·
0 Posts
Ok thanks I do feed dry along with some raw but she chews these dental bones and basil and something dog treets for bad breth and tarter and she usally chews them white bones not to sire what they are called...oh yha raw hide bones at night to keep her self busy or if I have the young babies in the house she has to be in her crate till she calms down and she likes her raw hide bones especialy the ones with beef stuff in the middle..and she also has this kong thing that scraps off tarter from her teeth when I put peanutbutter on it she loves that..Thanks for the info I will try the wet cloth too she likes to jump in the bath with me at night maby I could get her to chew on an old towel or cloth to help...Thanks again connie and kids

1 - 13 of 13 Posts