Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sophie spent the entire night gagging or coughing and trying to throw up, but nothing came out.  I gave her some honey in case her throat was irritated which she really liked and it seems to have calmed the hacking cough for the time being.  She was given kennel cough vaccine up her nose when she got her shots last week.  So I was wondering if this is a case of kennel cough, allergies or something serious I should take her back to the vet for.  Thought at first she had swallowed something she shouldn't have.  She isn't running a temp and I am at a loss what to do.  Thanks

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Poor Sophie!!  I would just watch her for the next few days and if it gets worse or she has any kind of discharge I would take her into the vet.  Chloe does the gagging/ coughing but she also has really bad allergies. Sending get well vibes to Sophie  :)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Teaki does that sometimes but it usually doesn't last that long.  We usually give her a piece of bread tore into pieces and that helps.  It seems like she has something caught in her throat, like a hack (weird sound!  8O ).  Hope it isn't anything serious for your baby!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your most reassuring responses.  It seems to have vanished this morning and she's back to being wild as ever.  I don't know whether the honey soothed her throat or if she did have something stuck in there.  It sure is scarey when they does these weird things in the night.  I'll try the bread next time too.  She is constantly chewing on things she shouldn't and maybe got some little bit of paper or something stuck.  Her favorite trick is unrolling the toliet paper in the bathroom.  I'm always picking up after her ticker tape parades. lol

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Wouldn't have any idea.  Hopefully its just a passing thing.

I have a couple questions wrt temperatures.
What is normal for our Boxers?
Is this done rectally?  If so, have you ever broken one off?  I can see Ringer getting a little upset and coming around at me while I'm still holding onto the thermometer.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Ear temps are the same as rectal temps and I trust recal temps more.  Everything Kate said is accurate.  Anything over 102 something is going on.  Temps 104-106 can get into the area of causing serious brain problems and a serious situation is going on....

Kate....I also would just watch her for a few days.  If a dog really has something caught in the throat they will lift the front feet and paw at the mouth and throat...Sounds more like allergy but keep in mind the nasal bordetella vac only covers a few strains of it. So keep an eye for getting worse, feeling bad or discharge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts