Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use garlic for fleas? I never had a problem with fleas until the last few days....now we see fleas jumping on us outside. Has anyone ever used garlic as a flea preventative? And if so do you use cloves or powder? and how much?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
garlic should be used in moderation with dogs. if given too much too often then it could be toxic. i know lisa said in a previous thread she used garlic, but i forgot how much or how often. I actually am going to look for the thread because i wanted to try it as well. we have got rid of the biggest flea issue, but we still have some.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
found it!! this is what lisa said she did with maddie

tootsie\";p=\"21669 said:
I give her a half a clove of garlic once a week, but only in the winter months. I don't use flea control in the winter, just use the garlic. In the summer I have to use revolution but don't like giving that year round.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Yep...thanks Andrea. I use the garlic when I don't use the revolution. The revolution I use May-October. I give a half of a clove a week, or one small clove depending on size, and I do use the heartguard to keep up the protection for heartworm. The fleas are not too bad November-April here but they are here. There are mosquitos here year round so I have to protect against those nasty buggers all year.  :wink:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I started using Brewers Yeast on mine Tami and it has garlic in it..Also one of the doggie treats I make has garlic in it and they both love those  :) The Brewers yeast they think is candy, so that is chowed down also...

·
Registered
220 Posts
When Maggie had fleas, I just sprinkled a bit of Garlic powder on some food.  She ate it no problem but that night she had an allergic reaction (about 4-6 hours later).  Not sure what it was from but I'm willing to try the garlic one more time and see what happened since it was a mild reaction (her one eye puffed up).  

But until I see fleas I won't bother trying the garlic at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thats a great idea. I just know the one time we gave Gracie Turkey that had been marinated with garlic her gas just about killed us... 8O

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It's the yeast in the Brewer's Yeast that repels the fleas, the garlic is just an added plus...I've used it on my cats as well, works great....Oh, there is one downside to it tho, it does have a tendency to make my 2 a bit more gassy....Ugh

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I did garlic powder this summer in the food and had no issues with tick and fleas.   Kinda releived that I save $$ on frontline or advantix.  Also glad that I did not have to put pesticides on their coats.  

Good luck, I love finding alternative methods!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
for those who buy brewers yeast where do you find it? just a local grocery store? or more of a specialty store? i have looked in our local grocery stores and either i am skipping past it, looking in the wrong area or they dont have it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Local feed stores are the best place I have found it. Pet stores I am sure it is in as well. If all else fails...Walmart does have it. I am not sure how it compairs to others though.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Do you chop the garlic and put it in their food or just give them the clove to eat?

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
luvmyboxers\";p=\"30881 said:
Do you chop the garlic and put it in their food or just give them the clove to eat?
I use a garlic press and put it right in her food. You could chop it up also, or even use a little garlic powder in their food, just make sure it is the salt free powder.

·
Registered
352 Posts
this is great info, i had no idea about the garlic or the yeast!!  i have tried finding brewers yeast before (people in my office love it on popcorn) but could never find a store that carried it.  i'll have to look around again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts