Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 9yo female, Mia, developed a taste for a little something "extra" with her food at night, so I had a look at some cheap cuts of steak and found that for about $5 I could do the following:

• Get 2 pieces of round steak (sometimes better cuts on sale)
  • BBQ both pieces
  • Put 1 in the freezer, and keep one in the fridge
When I feed her, I take the piece out of the fridge and cut off a 3/4" slice, which I microwave for 10 seconds and then cut up into tiny pieces. I then mix the pieces in with her regular Acana kibble.

$5 worth of steak lasts about 2 weeks and she absolutely loves it!

Just a little something extra to make dinner time extra pleasant for her in her senior years.

·
Registered
563 Posts
When you say BBQ does that mean sauce or cooking? Just curious that can mean different things to different people! Another meat I have used is chicken breast I would buy 3 chicken breasts boil them and then shred them and put them in little separate sandwich bags and then thaw them in microwave quickly and mix in the dog food I did this for my boxers when they were sick and not eating much before they passed away they would eat that I also used baby food. (the meat kind)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Add another for using chicken breast, though I boil it, cut in cubes and use for a kibble add in meals, plus treats around noonish. My three eat morning and evening so I like to give them something midday that’s not a lot of added calories. They love it. I always use the boiled chicken breast up within 48 hours (stirred in fridge after cooking). This is about once a week or so.

Green beans are another loved treat (for mine) with limited calories.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you say BBQ does that mean sauce or cooking? Just curious that can mean different things to different people! Another meat I have used is chicken breast I would buy 3 chicken breasts boil them and then shred them and put them in little separate sandwich bags and then thaw them in microwave quickly and mix in the dog food I did this for my boxers when they were sick and not eating much before they passed away they would eat that I also used baby food. (the meat kind)
Just BBQ without any sauce.

Mia seems to be allergic to chicken but beef doesn't bother her.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Lucky Dogs haha I do the same. Lean beef only, top round or sirloin tip. Chicken seen to give loose stools sometimes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts