Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 9yo female, Mia, developed a taste for a little something "extra" with her food at night, so I had a look at some cheap cuts of steak and found that for about $5 I could do the following:

• Get 2 pieces of round steak (sometimes better cuts on sale)
  • BBQ both pieces
  • Put 1 in the freezer, and keep one in the fridge
When I feed her, I take the piece out of the fridge and cut off a 3/4" slice, which I microwave for 10 seconds and then cut up into tiny pieces. I then mix the pieces in with her regular Acana kibble.

$5 worth of steak lasts about 2 weeks and she absolutely loves it!

Just a little something extra to make dinner time extra pleasant for her in her senior years.

·
Registered
458 Posts
When you say BBQ does that mean sauce or cooking? Just curious that can mean different things to different people! Another meat I have used is chicken breast I would buy 3 chicken breasts boil them and then shred them and put them in little separate sandwich bags and then thaw them in microwave quickly and mix in the dog food I did this for my boxers when they were sick and not eating much before they passed away they would eat that I also used baby food. (the meat kind)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Add another for using chicken breast, though I boil it, cut in cubes and use for a kibble add in meals, plus treats around noonish. My three eat morning and evening so I like to give them something midday that’s not a lot of added calories. They love it. I always use the boiled chicken breast up within 48 hours (stirred in fridge after cooking). This is about once a week or so.

Green beans are another loved treat (for mine) with limited calories.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you say BBQ does that mean sauce or cooking? Just curious that can mean different things to different people! Another meat I have used is chicken breast I would buy 3 chicken breasts boil them and then shred them and put them in little separate sandwich bags and then thaw them in microwave quickly and mix in the dog food I did this for my boxers when they were sick and not eating much before they passed away they would eat that I also used baby food. (the meat kind)
Just BBQ without any sauce.

Mia seems to be allergic to chicken but beef doesn't bother her.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Lucky Dogs haha I do the same. Lean beef only, top round or sirloin tip. Chicken seen to give loose stools sometimes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My little dog is not feeling full when he eats chicken and he has to eat something more. That is why he eats chicken just when he is not hungry hehe. We always find delicious food at Petco. That is why I'm looking now for having a gift card from there. I found out about this possibility on this site Petco Gift Card Review: #1 For Your Pets ? | What Rose Knows. The thing that I like is that I can use my phone to obtain this gift card. I can go there and buy something and with this card, I can receive some presents or even permission to buy something else on the same money. So the idea is that I can find the best food for my baby only there and when he is full I'm happy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts