Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So at the suggestion of a certain trainer whom I won't mention, I started Ringer on some pumpkin in his dinner last night and yogurt in his breakfast.

1.  He freaking loves the pumpkin.  I wouldn't recommend leaving the can in the sink and walking away.   I took a shower while he was eating his dinner and I was wondering why he wasn't poking his head in the shower.  I went to the kitchen to find him with his nose buried in the can in the sink and he was fighting me to get back to the can.
2. Don't expect it to work right away.  As a matter of fact, I think it caused a cleansing.  Not a good thing to start at midnight.  He dumped at least five times last night, though I didn't check to see consistency.  
3. In addition to the excessive dumping there is excessive GAS!  I woke up several times to the most foul smelling odor I have ever encountered.  I respond to nursing homes where people have been bleeding out of their butts for days and that smell doesn't compare the to onslaught I took last night.  I woke up coughing it was so bad.
4. Did I mention the GAS?

If this continues, I'm going to bottle up some of this stuff and send it to that trainer as a thank you gift.  How much does it cost to ship something like that to Hawaii?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
That's hilarious!  What kind of food do you feed Ringer?  We feed our dogs Solid Gold Mmellinia.  There coats have never been as shiny, eye boogers aren't as bad, poop isn't as big!  But I will say of all we've tried they tend to have more gas with Solid Gold.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
ROTFLOL! OMG>AAAAhhahahahahahahahaha..you are KILLING me! I am sure that trainer has smelled the same or worse!LOL!  It makes me wonder what he got into prior to the pumpkin...as we use pumpkin for Mic and Indy all of the time...and yes, they have some foul gas...but, no more so then before!LOL! FOr us it was combatting the runs and it worked!  Although, I have wondered more then once...especially since we put them on Merrick...WHY it is we are so surprised when they smell FOUL...after all, we know exactly what "healthy" food and greens, etc. do to us human!!!! LOL!

I will be laughing dementedly ALL DAY now, whenever I picture RInger with his head in the sink snarffing pumpkin! ROTFLOL! Thanks for that...I could use a good laugh here and there!

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
"demented" is the word for today folks...hahahahahaa

Dan that is the worst !! hahahaha that smell i swear you can see the purple and orange cloud lingering over the perimeter hahahahahaha

but thanks for the visual i needed a good laugh ! 7 am haahahha

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm switching from Beniful to Merrick right now.  Today is actually my last day of the switch and I will get the wilderness blend instead of the turducken tonight to see if he just isn't handling the turkey/duck combo.  I think the extra fiber is just doing it's thing right now and I'll have to deal with it for a couple days.  He loves to eat toilet paper so at least he is wiping himself.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
hysterical!

Jessie had some serious gas last night...

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Dan you are too funny!!!  Did that certain trainer tell you to give him a teaspoon of pumpkin and not the whole can  lol!!!!  Mine love it too and are good at being can theives if I happen to leave one out and I must admit that the garbage can has taken up permanent residence on the table to keep them out of it, but your story just makes my eyes burn.....poor Dan!!!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I think that the trainer you're refering to is probably crying they're laughing so hard right now.  ROFLMAO!!!  Now, as a Boxer owner, I can tell you that gas is normal.  Completely normal!!  I can also tell you that adding new foods to a dogs diet can, and likely will, kick up the noxious fumes your dog is so kind as to expose you to.  You should be prepared to deal with it for a bit.

The pumpkin and yogurt, once your dog has gotten used to it, should actually help with the gas.  Make sure you are only giving him the PLAIN, LOWFAT YOGURT and the PLAIN CANNED PUMPKIN (not the pie filling with all the crap in it!!!)

My suggestions to you as a fellow gassy Boxer owner (and someone who KNOWS the trainer with whom you are refering):

~~Learn to sleep in a gas mask.

~~Keep the open cans of pumpkin where your dog CANNOT get them or be prepared to wrestle him for ownership of said cans.

~~Feed him early enough that, should he need to relieve himself, it isn't at midnight, or even better, give him a great play session outside after his meal to stimulate his need to relieve himself.

AND FINALLY...

~~Vicks Vapor Rub under the nose of a human will mask the noxious fumes leaking from a Boxer's bum, allowing the human more quality sleep time without being awoken by the need to gag and/or the sensation of suffocating due to lack of oxygen in the immediate area!!!

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Third meal was at 2200.  He promptly evacuated his bowels around 2215.  Then again at 0000, 0100, 0300 and 0500.  His first meal with the pumpkin was this one.
I got the plain canned pumpkin and put the excess in a tupperware container.  He only go the excess on the sides of the can thankfully.  
I did, though, get the Plain regular yogurt instead of the low fat.  I can get the low fat stuff for him and use the regular in my recovery shakes.  
I may have translated a tsp into a heaping tablespoon adding more pumpkin to the mix and adding extra umph to his GI tract.  
I carry vics in my pocket for those nursing home calls and can't believe I didn't think of it last night.   Thanks, Liz.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
OMG =))  =))  =)) How many times have I woke up exactly like that???? When we lived out in the boonies our collie/shepard Nate used to eat every dead thing she could find and the results still couldn't compare with a boxer!!!  Good Luck Dan!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
OMG....What are you trying to do to Ringer????  [email protected]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A heaping Tbsp!!!!  Omg!!!!!!!  No wonder he's been having fits of explosive diahrea!!!!

Poor baby....This is too funny...No more complaining about his bowels or gas until you can follow directions...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG...I;m laughing so hard right now that I can't breath!!!!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
But the tsp looked so small.  I thought, that can't be right.  Liz must have said tbsp.  And if a tbsp is right, than a heaping tbsp must be better.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
OK SO UHM LIZ? I CANT GIVE THEM ANYMORE GO GURTS?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
OMG!!!  You guys are killing me!!!

Dan~~~
Sometimes more IS NOT better!!!  TSP!!! TSP!!! TSP!!!

Ky~~~

Uhmmmmm...Yeah...I don't recommend the GO GURTS...ROFLMAO!!!  But that's just me...LOL!!!!

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
hahaha i know..i dont rally give it to them although they wish i did...

i used yogurt to put weight on Isis when i got her..plus fight the bad bacteria with good..it worked wonderfully !!! she loved it..still give it to them few times a week..buy the big plain one..

lmao @ Dan..thats me too..isnt more better? hahahahaha

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
UH....Fat Dog ... Fat Dog ... Fat Dog ...

I know Ky...STFU!!!  ROFLMAO!!!

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
SO.. we are the FAT house..hahaha >>> The Dogs, Me, Alvin, Dekaris, Maui...hahahaha diari and prada will catch up..lmaoooooooooooooo..but we are healthy lol..and can all hold our own when it comes to sports and running lmao...thats our excuse hehehehe

and go figuere we fry nothing and the dogs get nothing but white meat..who knows...gonna rename our house i think.."snacks are us"

1 - 20 of 30 Posts