Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, people are getting new pups, some dogs have had health issues, others involved in new training - so lets all do an update!!!

Here is mine!!!  Hanna turns two next month and is doing great in her agility classes.  We started a new group class tonight which was good but stinks because we had to pull Kash out of his Rally  - why all the classes need to be on the same night / time is beyond me.   :no:    But he gets to go to daycare two days a week, and Hanna agility class two nights a week so I am thinking its somewhat fair.  Will start him back training when Hanna's class is over.

Kash is 9 months and is a horn dog this week.  Thank goodness Hanna is fixed.   :twisted:   He had a little buddy yorkie friend at daycare and they are the snoopy / woodstock of the group.  He is about an inch taller than Hanna and really starting to grow into him self.  

They are both on full raw and loving it - this week is lamb - YUM!!!!!    Other than that - everything is happy in dogland for us, how about you?????

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Skye & Storm has gottrn up to 30lbs @ last ck up last wk. all is well finished up with puppy shots. Waiting on trainer to start "teen" classed with obediene training. Charlie (my blind cockier) is getting more grouchy by the day but @ 12 I guess he is alllowed Taxi (3yr old cocker) is just spoiled. Marissa (skin kid) is getting ready to go to Flordia with her dad for the weekend on a trip to Treasure Island I am worried about it hopefully all will go well

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
GREAT idea Heather....

Maverick is now 8mo and things are getting better with potty training. he is 90% trained. he goes outside and will potty pretty much on command when i tell him 'go potty'. he is sometimes going in his crate but that is my fault because i know he goes to the door when he WANTS to go and sometimes forget to make him go out and pee before i put him to bed for the night...yea that was stupid of me but i learned. We just got over the mange scare and the expensive antibiotic shot has seemed to work as all the pimples are gone and the hair seems to be back...

I have discovered maverick is allergic to cheese or i assume he is since every time he eats some his bottom and top lips turn BRIGHT red and look a bit swollen. He stole some last night and his top lip was red and raw looking tonight. he loves the stuff but no more for him. As many of you know i have put off neutering him because of my current vet and hope to have him done this summer when i move back to my hometown area. i trust my vet there much more. Ive been giving him some home cooked meals and he really loves it. something new is that im contacting breeders and rescues looking for my next pup this summer or fall. Id like a female this time. ill let everyone know when i find a prospect.

Other than that Mav has a vet appointment for a follow up check up on thursday and a month ago he weighed in at 42-43lbs. Hoping he has put some weight on.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I 've been working on leash manners with Gaby for a while now and she's pulling me allot less now and getting very good when walking by people and other dogs, we usually go for a good 2 hour walk when the weather is nice, and only 30min when it is bad, and then another 30 min on the treadmill to wear of some more of her energy....

I weighed her 2 weeks ago and she's already at 43lbs...The zit on her bottom lip is going away and getting smaller every day....and as far as her ears go there still kinda red inside, but not as bad since I've been washing them daily with a hot compress....

She did have an accident in her sleep yesterday on my bed, so it was a long night for me while I was waiting for laundry to finish, I just hope that that was all it was is an accident and nothing more serious...

I've also changed her food from Medi-Cal adolescent to Wellness just for puppy, it's a little more expensive, but the ingredients are a million times better, and it got an amazing review and a 5 star rating on dogfoodanalysis.com...... my philosophy is nothing but the best for my best friend :D

G

·
0 Posts
well...Bo and Jetta are still best of friends.  Mike has decided it's time to work on weaning them out of their crates...which is driving me crazy...they keep using the bathroom in the house, and getting into the kitty litter...but...other than that...they are doing ok...I'm trying to figure out how to teach them to go longer without pottying.  In the crate, they can hold it more than 8 hours...but if we leave them alone an hour and a half, they potty...well, Bo does...I don't think Jetta had an accident.  

I have pulled my groin muscle and am having a lot of trouble interacting with my puppies...I don't think they are too happy about it...they just want to play and I can't...so it's going to be interesting as I heal to see how they act...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Templeton just turned 1 year this past Saturday and thanks everyone for the Birthday wishes.  Thank goodness his health has improved over the past couple weeks now that he's on the raw food...he was giving me quite the scare with the inflamed pancreas but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it was just food allergies.  Since switching to the raw food diet he now has been gaining weight, having normal bowel movement for the first time in months, no longer vomiting and seems to be back to his energetic self.  I'm soo happy to see him feeling better and he's having a blast out at the barn with the horses again!  Now it's time to work on the leash training (he's a puller) - I've been looking into obedience classes to help me out with this vice.

Other than that Temp just has to check back in with the vet to see how that pancreas is doing.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Great idea Heather.

Kiah was a year and a half on the 19th of February, can't believe she is that old already.  She will be with me a year in early May, so far it has been a great year and can't imagine not having her in my life.  She is still on Pro Plan Selects and doing very well on it.  I plan on taking her back to obedience class in the summer and maybe get her started in some kind of sport, agility or fly ball; depends on what is offered around here. We are still going to the dog park every weekend and now that it is getting dark later we are going to go back after work again; in the fall we were going 5 times a week.  There is a great bunch of dogs and people who go there, so we are very lucky in that respect.

I am still planning on adopting a male in early to mid April once things settle down at work.  I am really hoping that they have a brindle or white male available that would get along well with Kiah.  I don't have a fenced yard so it will have to be a hearing male.  I do have a name picked out if I don't care for the name he has  :lol:

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Sampson turned 2 this month but not sure of the day since he was a rescue. He has completed all of his training -beginner, intermediate, and advanced but still has a lot of puppy in him so we are continually working with him on manners when meeting other people and animals. He is 24.5 inches tall and 68lbs.

Lucy is almost 11 months but not sure of the exact day since she was also a rescue. She just completed intermediate training and will be moving into advanced class in April. She has shown significant improvement over the last month with training but she is still a puller on the leash so we are really working to improve in that area. She is 23 inches tall and 48.6 lbs.

Both are on Nutro Ultra with Nature's Pharmacy Dogzymes digestive enhancer powder (5 cups per day for each). Since we switched them over to this combination, their coats, pads, and skin look amazing. I am waiting to get them into doggie daycare - they have to go for their temperment testing at the end of March. I have really been working on socializing these two and introducing them to all different types of environments, people, and pets.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Isis is 6 yrs old...83 pounds ,from what i understand from a Euro line...and uhmm lazy lol...

lets see...she can sit, lay down, come here, wait, go get it, roll over ( but falls haha) she's super well behaved ..we have been walking 2 hours a day for the past week...now that i am totally clear to start training again after the kidney stuff and ectopic pregnancy stuff..whoo hooo..she goes for her full physical with Onyx next week...total work up every march..but shes great !

she went from rags to riches basically..from prison to an autism service dog in 2 yrs ! shes incredibly smart and loves to please..we let her lounge but when its time to do things she's super eager..and her best buddy Onyx is always right there by her side

her next step in training is another phase..as the child gets older and changes behaviors the dog also adapts and learns new things..which is amazing with Isis b/c she picks up on it and just adjusts..its crazy ! when Diari is at school shes lounging around and resting...as soon as about 145 pm comes around she KNOWS without any cues..and wakes up and starts watching the window...( was not taught this ) when Diari is home shes alert and aware of everything hes doing...she knows when to be on guard and paying attention and when its ok to just chill and 1/2 pay attention...we arent rigid with her by any means..i dont need her to be ON him as i am aware of everything he does...but if he goes upstairs there she goes ..up the stairs to check on him..if he is playing a game or just playing she will lay on the hallway infront of his room...he goes to the bathroom..shes right there..its so COOL since i dotn ask her to be that aware at home...
i guess i am just highly inpressed by her given her background and very PROUD...

her next training starts in april..just to keep current...

uhmm...kids are in a big surfing event in september so we are working on that...i am trying to do a body building show in november..we'll see how it goes..

kids are great...hubby is great..truck is AWESOME...we are making decisions on army stuff and MAY stay in hawaii another 3 yrs..dont know yet..its up to us and a HARD decision..as we miss our families...but have to do whats best all around..

AND DID I TELL YA HOW INCREDIBLY AWESOME WILLOW IS? HEHE WE HAD A GREAT TIME...HER SISTERS ARE AMAZING AS IS SHE...ISIS & ONYX ACTED LIKE THEY WERE THEIR LONG LOST OTHER MOMS..WAS FUNNY !..SHE'LL BE HOME BY THURS OR FRI...SHE HAS PICS AND SO DO I BUT ILL WAIT TIL SHE GETS BACK TO POST AS I WOULDNT WANT TO INFRINGE ON ANYONES PRIVACY WITHOUT ASKING FIRST... :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well we have had Frankie for almost 3 months now and she has completed our lives!!!  Kassy died almost a year ago, and I am still very heartbroken over her passing, but seeing all the little boxer quirks in Frankie that I loved so much in Kassy is really heartwarming.

Frankie is a very sweet little girl, so loving and cuddly, and also a total rat bag, the things she does to get attention is so funny, she will steal something from right in front of your nose for you to chase her!!! doesn't matter what it is she will walk past casually then quickly snatch something, look back at you with a ha ha look on her face then its game on!!

Shes getting big and tall and I look back on videos we took when we first got her and cant believe she's grown so much, she used to trip over holding her toys in her mouth because they would drag on the ground, but now they fit her!!!

I'm so glad we decided to get another boxer, she is such a big part of our life now, I couldn't imagine life without her now.

I am also almost 15 weeks pregnant after IVF so Frankie will have a little skin brother or sister in her life soon!!! She cant wait :lol:

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Henry was 18 months old yesterday! :D   Weighs 66 pounds and is doing well on the new food - Purina ProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomach formula. :wink:

On Feb. 6, had two broken teeth fixed.  Now we're dealing with a partial tear of the ACL in his right leg. :roll:
So far this month, we've spent over $2,000.00 in vet bills. :!:  :roll:

The skin kid is 14, 5' 9", 105 lbs. 8O  Got all A's on the last report card, again! :D   And is almost no help at all with the newly "crippled" Henry! :lol:

Hubby has lost 15 pounds since finding out about his high cholesterol.  Will retest the cholesterol in June.

And I'm feeling old, fat, sick, and tired! :lol:   Too much stress! :)

·
Registered
880 Posts
Jetta is 5 1/2 years old, she enjoys sleeping, long walks, sitting by the fire, kidney beaning, destroying stuffed toys, and playing with children.

Oscar is 4 months old, he enjoys pooping on the stairs (he should know better), the dog park, knocking small children over (he has to be watched like a hawk!), farting, eating garbage, biting Jetta's neck, peeing with one leg up, going to the drive through coffee stand and getting a biscuit, and of course singing whenever he sees anybody.

Oscar has started kinder puppy obedience, he is the second oldest in his class and one of the largest.  He plans to be neutered next week, he agreed to it, but I'm not sure he knows what he is getting into.

And on that note, lots of wiggles and bad gas from our boxer family to yours.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Jessie is doing great.  I think she is close to 60lbs now... or at least it feels like that when she wants to lay across my stomach!  She will be 2 yrs old in May

·
Registered
422 Posts
Jinx and Logan are now 3 months old.  They are doing great on potty training!  Thank God!  We recently started clicker training and are having WONDERFUL results.  :D   They can still be a little exhausting to handle sometimes but they are worth every bit of it.
Dixie will be turing 10 this Sept. 11th.  She is my old girl who just enjoys hanging out on the couch snoozing.  
The skin kids are great.  Jessie is hitting the terrible twos with a vengence.  Olivia just brought home her progress report today and is doing great in school.  I am sooooo thankful that she loves school.  I just hope it continues.
The hubby is tired.  Enough said.
I have started working out again and have already dropped 5 pounds.  I WILL have my rockin body back!  LOL!
Well that's us in a nutshell!
Great idea on the thread HannaBanana

·
Registered
263 Posts
Jake (the choc. lab) turned 5 in Feb.  He's doing okay and seems to be walking a bit more on his back leg.  He restarted his diet after the holiday(so many leftovers to steal) He isn't too happy about his food portions so he's on strike he says.  Not moving from the couch till I get him more food. LOL.  Samson has been with us now for 4 months and will turn 7 months at the end of this month. The skin kids love him expecially my four year old who says their best buddies. He's taking him to daycare tomorrow for show and tell. Should be interesting!  He will start his first basic training class next thursday and I am so excited.  Jake still gets a little mad at him from time to time for being an annoying little brother but what can you expect.  Jake's a grump.  All the other kids are doing great in school.  Cole (the middle one) is getting A's and B's without trying he's so smart I think it scares me.  Too think that if he actually gave school an ounce of effort what he could do.  Kyle is my oldest and his doing okay, struggling a bit in the fourth grade but the school is great and he is improving, went to his first tutoring session today and loved it, he was so excited when he came out he can't wait for next week.  Work is good and I am looking forward to Spring Break...My mom is taking me to Hawaii-No hubby-No kids Yeah!!!!

·
Registered
725 Posts
What a great idea. I love reading about everybody's fur babies! Here is our update

Gus is doing really well! Fits into our lives perfectly. I think back on the day he just popped into our lives and I am SO thankful Greg fell in love with him at first sight like I did. How can't you?! He is growing right before our eyes too...Our 6 year old skin baby is afraid to come home to a giant boxer some day!!  :lol: His spot where his skin mites were is finally starting to grow hair and he seems to be picking up weight...I am sure the doggie recipes I've found have helped a bit! The vet did want me to put a few more pounds on the baby...hehe! His neuter went with flying colors, I couldn't believe it. I had heard such horror stories about licking, infection, cones...We had NONE of that! Thank God. He didn't even seem to notice! We are so excited for the spring and summer to come. Greg and I love to hike, camp, paddle, etc. The Northwest is just amazing in the summer...BUT Gus has not been able to experience much greenery since we got him the end of Sept. I cant wait to see him climb Mt St Helen's with us...he will be such a big boy! We are enjoying his puppy ways and I can't wait to see what a handsome guy he will be!! I have seen so many on the forum...

Thats all for now!!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Well as most know we recently added a new addition to our family...but let me start with Savannah :)

Savannah(f-mahogany) is now 3 yrs old and already going grey!! silly girl :) guess she worries herself too much. She is becoming less shy and is now even going up to people other than my bf and myself. That is a BIG accomplishment for my girl. Some may not know, but i rescued my savannah from a "breeder" who couldnt breed her any longer b/c she had a heart murmur. I am happy that the lady stopped when she found this out, but she never socialized her dogs. Savannah came me VERY scared of everyone and thing. We still cant throw things (clothes into the laundry room, ect) with out her bolting like she is going to be whapped, but she has become more trusting of new people. Loud noises still scare her as well, but danggit i am just excited she is getting over her fear of people.

Reese(f-brindle) just turned 1 in Jan. she tests her limits everyday, but golly she sure gets away with a lot of stuff!! she learned to be fearful of people from Savannah. Reese was a present from my bf and was brought home at 12 wks, at this age she was very impressionable...which is why she turned into a scardy dog :) its ok though cause she is my scardy dog!! she is taking a wee bit longer to gain trust in people other than my bf or myself. She will now tolerate someone coming up to her to pet her, but wont willingly go up to them.

Samson(m-brindle) then you have my newest addition. Mr samson man. he can do no wrong at the moment...haha who am i kidding?? he dumpster dives in my trash can constantly, ripped a bag of trash open this morning and got into. Knocked down the baby gate that kept the dogs out of the cat box and cat food...went to town and had a few turd snacks and ate all the cat food. Knocked my bf over to get a tuna sandwhich.....the list goes on!! One look at his super smushed face though i just cant stay mad!! Samson also was a rescue from a breeder who had him surrendered back, so i have no idea what formal training he had his first year of life. we are starting back at square one and moving from there. HE is a joy to be around though. He is constantly on the move and loves playing.

Together my pack is getting along well. Savannah is establishing herself as the pack leader, and keeping the youngins in line. Since we brought Samson home though i have noticed a vast improvement withthe girls. Before samson the girls wouldnt play with the toys, never really romped around in side to play, they pretty much just chilled and watched tv all day :) since bringing samson home though everyone plays with toys, jumps around together and gets into mischief together. It is such a happy thing!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Well Duke is one now and I am assuming around 70+ lbs I cant pick him up now, and I could when he was 63lbs So  he's getting to big for me.  We are still working on the therapy dog training.  I have had alot of set backs this year with family issues and several deaths in the family.  So now its back on track since its almost summer!!! My son is 4 and will be starting pre-k this august, So Duke will be my focus while Gavin is at school.  That is why I am training him to be therapy dog!  All is good here minus the added dog since we took in a stray, its been a lil hectic.  I still want another dog, but my dear husband, still says no  :(  :? Thats ok bc he said I can get more dogs once we get our bigger house! So I am excited cause we are getting our new house sometime this year :D

·
Registered
294 Posts
Good idea, since I'm rarely ever online anymore and have lost track of all the newbies and vets.

Beckham turned 1 January 19th weighs around 50lbs and ever since we started feeding him raw (just at night because we can't afford 100% raw diet) and following our holistic vet's advice along with supplements and homeopatic remedies he's been doing superb.

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
Xena and Zoe are crazy as ever. Xena will be 4 in July and shows no signs of slowing down. Zoe is now exactly 4 and a half months and growing like a little weed. Those legs are starting to look like stilts. For a long while she kept falling in the pool every so often...thank God we havent had an accident like that in a while. She just got her rabies on Sunday afternoon and had her first day at the park on Monday. I posted pics of that yesterday I think. Potty training is improving slightly...Ive forgotten how long it takes boxers to housetrain. Oh well. She's not really into chewing up the house like Xena was but I dont think shes started teething yet so were keeping our fingers crossed that she continues to chew on Xena during playtime instead of furniture. About once a week they get to come with me to my dads house and play with his Bull Mastiff named Marty...their aunt marty. Oh boy do they have a blast when we go over there...then they come home and pass right out!   :D

And that's that....Nothing particularly crazy or out of the norm.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts