Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warning This post will be a bit gross. My 11 year old boy had an infection about 1.5 months ago with lots of discharge. It's was not a uti was an infection of the penis. If you exposed it you can see its beet red with pus. He didn't lick or bother with it (making a mess of his legs, belly and furniture) Vet put him on 2 weeks of antibiotics and it cleared up. Well it's back now and worse than before. Have an appointment with the vet tomorrow but wanted to ask if anyone else has had a boy with the issue and if there was anything I could do to help prevent it from coming back. He's my 5th boxer and I've never had this issue with any others including the other 6 year boy I also have now as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry have not had an issue with any of my dogs. Sounds like the vet will have to do furthers testing to find underlying cause.
They are sending a culture out to the lab to see what it exactly is. They flushed it all out with saline and gave more antibiotics. Also gave Chlorhexidine to clean him twice a day. Said prostate was fine and they saw nothing other then the infection when they examined his boy parts.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is good news. Chlorhexidine is very helpful. Have used it on my dogs for various lil infections. We also have the wipes that we clean our boys mouth with.
I've used it before on other boxers for ears and for my other boy Max that has had 4 mcts removed to clean his stitches. I'm just not too keen on chemicals and meds. I try to cure things naturally when I can but not messing around with my old man's thingy. He's only been with us for 4 months and is doing awesome other than kennel cough (knocked that out with local honey, astragalus, garlic and echinacea) and the last and now infection.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He moves good for an 11 year old man and he loves his little fawn brother.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's been awhile since I have been on the site and realized I never posted an update. Meds helped for a bit but it kept coming back. What I ended up trying that worked was similar to what I have used for kennel cough. He has been getting vitamin c, astragalus and echinacea with each meal. Since we started it a year or so ago we have had no issues. He also had seasonal allergies before adding the above to his diet and those are gone as well.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts