Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rocko is three months old and I have decided i wanted to get his ears copped any info on when to do this and what all has to be done thanks

·
Registered
913 Posts
3 months may be pushing the limit by a bit, cropping should be done ( depending on the length about 9-12 weeks ) but your best bet is to find a Vet in your area, and get Rocko in PRONTO!! An experienced vet will let you know it the ear is too set already, The ear leather, and pina may not be suitible for cropping..ect..they know their stuff, and depending on the set of the ears..will advise you on the time frames allowed for your dog. Just FYI..I have had pups cropped at exactly 9 weeks, and Ashley was done at 13 weeks ( she has a full show crop, and just simply wasn't ready till then.
Best of luck, let us know if you can still have it done..and PLEASE don't let them talk you into a SHORT pet cut..I have 3 boxers in my neighborhood that never had enough "length" left and grew massive male heads, that make them look awfull..poor babies!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Samson has a very short crop, almost like a Dobie, DO NOT get that...Odin has an awesome crop, it's a shorter show crop and looks great...Do a search on here for "odin's ears" there is a great post on it with pics....I agree tho, you need to get it done ASAP

·
Registered
913 Posts
Pet cuts are done when your not planning on showing your dog, and want little to no maintanence ( Still can be a hard few months though..don't get me wrong..cropping involves dedication by the owner to achieve stance!! )  SHORT pet cut..well think of how yor baby will look at 2 years old, and has the ears of a Pit bull ( nothing wrong with that for a Pit..but it really looks awfull on a Boxer IMO ). Remember, you have ALOT of growing to do for your pup..and males heads usually are quite ummmm large...Ask for PICTURES of the crops the Vet does..it will give you a better idea of how you might end up.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Also, if you look online at Boxers, find pics that you like, take those in to your vet....One final word....Make absolutely certain that your vet does not use ACE as a sedative..If he says he does, either make sure he doesn't with your Boxer or find another vet....There is a Sticky topic regarding this and actually this info should be in your Boxers medical records at your vets

·
Registered
302 Posts
Every vet is differant, but the standard I've seen for almost all vets is 10-16 weeks (with 16 weeks being the cut-off).

With your dog already 12-weeks old, you need to find a vet who will do it and get going on the procedure ASAP.

Odin had his ears cropped around 13 weeks (can't quite remember, but it was around there).

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the info i would like for people to post there pics of the cropped ears so i could print some off thanks

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
A crop is ONLY as good as the Vet who is doing it.  IMO photos of other dogs IMO are not as good as seeing the crops that he/she has already done.  Its like going to a hairdresser with a pic saying - make me look like that.  If you are selecting a Vet that has done a crop you like, then you get a higher precentage of getting that crop rather than showing up with a pic.

Also IMO you are at the tail end of the age for a crop, so get some info as well on proper aftercare!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I called several vets today and none would do it after twelve weeks so is there any other options to get this done thanks for any help

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
i think besides keep searching for vets that will do it you dont have any other option...you may have to travel further to get what you want. sorry.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Yeah we found Odin's vet by coming across a cropped boxer and asking where the crop was done and by whom... it was GORGEOUS!!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Have you tried getting in contact with your local Boxer Club? They might be able to help you

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I will PM you two breeders in Oklahoma that may help you  - they show so will most likely refer you to a vet that will do a show crop but not sure about the age.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is the show crop short or long i did not get a pm my email is                                                                                                                                                                                                        

[email protected]

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Show crop is a very long crop..You need to get some pics of what you are looking for. To go in blind is a huge mistake...Angel has a show crop, very long ears and Ashley has one at well...Odin's are a wee bit shorter which is what we will more than likely do with Flick

1 - 20 of 41 Posts