Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is my situation...when we let Sadie out she runs around like a nut case  :rofl: It's actually quite funny..but scary at the same time. I want to make sure she doesn't run off in the road or anything dangerous like that.

So we've started brining her out on her leash, she goes crazy with it on! She cries and jumps all over the place, I'm scared she's going to injure herself. I am trying to reward her with lots of cuddles when we put her on the leash and while we're outside but it doesn't seem to work. I can't use treats, b/c the vet wants to wait a few weeks before we start feeding them, as she has been a bit sick lately.

Any other ideas?

-I also wanted to add, we are not taking her for walks! Just going outside to do her business and play  :)

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I am sure you will get some great advice, but mine would be to start off getting her use to the leash inside where she is probably more comfortable. Let me walk around the house with it on.  I let Fiona wear it inside and kind of drag it around a little so she could see it was not some big bad monster....She transferred to leash walking without jumping and flipping out pretty easy.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
oh gosh, so do not worry, 6.5 weeks is way to early (IMO) to be trying to get her familiar with lead.   I would wait until she is about 10 weeks (IMO) to get her used to walking around the yard on lead.  

Also puppy training classes are the best for it, and teach you methods that will work really well as well as socializtion.  Later on in training you will be introduced to distractions on lead which is very (IMO) a very critical thing in lead training.  

So you may have to wait a month or so until class but with with use of treats when she is older, it will be fine.  Dont expect much at such a young age:)   Good Luck!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yeah, it is a little early to start with a leash. Around 10-11 weeks is when you want to start with that. At that point, put her leash on and let her drag it around the house so she gets used to it and doesn't bite it or get scared of it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
This is what I was taught by a trainer.  

Get a really light small leash for a cat with a cat collar so it's extremely light.  (Dollar stores have them).  And have Sadie walking around with it by herself (so she's pretty much dragging it).  Do this for a couple of days, or at least a day.  Then pick up the leash and walk with her, but make sure you follow her where she wants to go.  This gets her used to walking with someone on lead.  Another couple of days and try get her walking with you where you want to go.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I know it is really early it's just that we don`t want her running away or running in the street. For the first few days we were just going out there with her with no leash and she would just stay in the yard, but yesterday and today she has been going nuts out there and just bolting everywhere. We can`t keep track of her!!  :)  We will just go slow and try keeping the leash on her in the house etc. to try and get her used to it.

We have enrolled her in puppy training classes for mid October, which should be lots of fun.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
[quote="sharonL\";p=\"24714":3j3ar7py]I am sure you will get some great advice, but mine would be to start off getting her use to the leash inside where she is probably more comfortable. Let me walk around the house with it on.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Lola hated her collar & leash at first, she would scratch at it and everything.  I bought her the lightest one possible and just left it on her all day and took it off for bedtime.  It's takes awhile, but they get used to it.  Lola was also 9 weeks, so Sadie might be a bit young.  She'll come around, Lola used to pick the leash up after awhile and walk around....looked like she was walking herself!  Good luck!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts