Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!! I am new here and excited! We are getting an 8 week old brindle male in about two weeks. I had turned in a contract a month or so ago and thought no way I'd be getting one, due to them having many contacts before me, but due to unforseen circumstances I was able to put a deposit down on one. They are an AKC breeder and this little boy is the great grandson of a champion! Anyways, because we didn't think we'd be getting a pup, we turned in some applications to a few boxer rescues. So now we are thinking of adopting a 2 - 3 year old female rescue, and getting the pup, basically at the same time. Is this a terrible idea? I've always had 2 dogs at a time and think it's good for them to have another dog in the house to play with. I've done a lot of research as getting a boxer is not a spur of the moment decision, but would love input. Will they become dependant on each other? I would love to be able to rescue as well but don't want to cause problems. Any input or other advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
But that is certainly not ideal to say the least! At least some good new's, is the puppy is a male and not another Female!

You really don't know the "new older dog," and they do not know you?? There is a lot of info on "The Week Shutdown," which should be done as it allow's the new dog to decompress and adjust to it's new circumstances?? Otherwise your home is just another "Kennel," with more space and they will wonder "How long will I be in this "Kennel??" There is no "Bond," so for a bit of time ... you will be just another "Kennel Worker??

You don't really know the dog and they don't you?? That can make thing's tough?? And adding a "puppy," in the middle of it .. is not ideal! So first thing's first ... this is what I am talking about.:
I Just Adopted a Rescue Dog, What Do I Do? | LePar Animal Hospital

Now to be completely honest ... I did not do that with my first two rescue's although the first, one I accidentaly did it d tueo other factor's .... And the second time I did not do it with my first Wl GSD, cuz I did not know of it???

And yeah that was a "Bad Mistake," that came back to bite me ... six month's down the road but it worked out in the long run. He turned out to be a great dog! :)

And sigh ... the third time I did not do it is, with my current rescue "Bella," and sigh I still regret messing that up two year's on ... it's just small stuff really that no one would notice ... but I do cuz I (should have know better) IE to much to soon ... in a nut shell, Do Not Start Training The Dog As Soon As You Get Them! Let the new rescue settle in to the new routine!

So first you have no idea how the Rescue will feel about the puppy?? And the Rescue does not really know you?? Now normally, that is not that big a deal?? But adding a puppy to the mix ... might be a bit different??

But a bit of help possibly, if she will be there in "Two Week's," time?? Is to try and see her every day you can before you take possession of her!

And the over bonding with each other is a separate issue "assuming they get alone??" Separate Training Sessions, and Separate Walk's together and then no one with you are important.

So it is not ideal to get them both at the same time but it should be doable?? But I have to say as far as I know ... No One Here, has done that???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But that is certainly not ideal to say the least! At least some good new's, is the puppy is a male and not another Female!

You really don't know the "new older dog," and they do not know you?? There is a lot of info on "The Week Shutdown," which should be done as it allow's the new dog to decompress and adjust to it's new circumstances?? Otherwise your home is just another "Kennel," with more space and they will wonder "How long will I be in this "Kennel??" There is no "Bond," so for a bit of time ... you will be just another "Kennel Worker??

You don't really know the dog and they don't you?? That can make thing's tough?? And adding a "puppy," in the middle of it .. is not ideal! So first thing's first ... this is what I am talking about.:
I Just Adopted a Rescue Dog, What Do I Do? | LePar Animal Hospital

Now to be completely honest ... I did not do that with my first two rescue's although the first, one I accidentaly did it d tueo other factor's .... And the second time I did not do it with my first Wl GSD, cuz I did not know of it???

And yeah that was a "Bad Mistake," that came back to bite me ... six month's down the road but it worked out in the long run. He turned out to be a great dog! :)

And sigh ... the third time I did not do it is, with my current rescue "Bella," and sigh I still regret messing that up two year's on ... it's just small stuff really that no one would notice ... but I do cuz I (should have know better) IE to much to soon ... in a nut shell, Do Not Start Training The Dog As Soon As You Get Them! Let the new rescue settle in to the new routine!

So first you have no idea how the Rescue will feel about the puppy?? And the Rescue does not really know you?? Now normally, that is not that big a deal?? But adding a puppy to the mix ... might be a bit different??

But a bit of help possibly, if she will be there in "Two Week's," time?? Is to try and see her every day you can before you take possession of her!

And the over bonding with each other is a separate issue "assuming they get alone??" Separate Training Sessions, and Separate Walk's together and then no one with you are important.

So it is not ideal to get them both at the same time but it should be doable?? But I have to say as far as I know ... No One Here, has done that???
Thank you so much for your comment. I may reconsider the rescue until this pup is older and not also adjusting. I was hoping to be able to get the rescue next week which would allow about week before I can get the pup, but I also don't want to cause any issues.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Uh Oh?? Well ... I certainly did not want to cost a Boxer a home??? But you were wise enough to ask! And you deserved an honest answer!

And yeah what you are "proposing??" Just has not been done?? But ... so you know just cuz no one has done "something before," does not mean it can't been done??

That WL GSD I mentioned Rocky ... yeah he was a seven month old "Recuse," with Wobbler's, a neurological disorder and he Wobbled when he walked. So WL GSD and all ... he should be "safe enough for anyone??" LOL ... yeah not so much it would seem seven month's later??
In retrospect ... him I should have "continued to crate train!" And not because he had "bad household manner's!" As he liked people ... at that time. But seven month's later ... not so much??

Now Boxer's don't have this "issue," High Rank Drive," a dog seek's to gain higher status in the Pack! Lesson one two dog's are a pair ... three dog's are a pack?? Struddell my Boxer ... never got involved with us boy's. High Rank Drive is pretty much a "useless drive," AFAIK, but it is a Working Line GSD thing?? And it is "Not," a Boxer or Bully Breed Trait?? So despite my decade of prior doggy experience with those breed's ... I had no idea what was going on with Rocky??

But Rocky WL GSD did not like being dog 2, to Gunther my American Band Dawg, so five pack' fights and a trip to the ER for me later (for stitches breaking up a Pack Fight) and Gunther passing later (due to unrelated issues after the last battle) Rocky was now dog number one ... Struddell did not care. And then a couple month's later and Christmas time and surprise number two?? Rocky ... apparently did not much care for company???

If you ever hear a low rumble/growl from a GSD ... "Keep Your," distance! I happen to be next to him on the floor so no one else heard felt the growl?? I was like, WTH is this and my blood ran cold!!! And Struddell of course was eagerly greeting uh ... everyone! :)

But my evening and life had just changed ... as Rocky seemed to be just fine by me and I told company ... "No You Can't Pet Him!" I just said he is not good with people (now my new way of life??)

OK to make this shorter ... had I asked "What to do??" On line ... "everyone "would have said find a trainer!" LOL ... well I did not, I'll "figure it out on my own??" And "we," did, it was a long and bumpy road but he turned out to be a fantastic dog! And stepped forward unexpectedly while I was shielding him from two dog's and slipped on the ice while doing so unexpectedly?? Sigh he was "trained as are all my dog's to stay behind me and let Daddy Deal, with lose dog encounter's (I have threads on that crap here) but this time was different?? As Rocky had never seen a "Dad," down situation before??? LOL it was freaking epic! He deftly stepped over me with a loud roar and I saw nothing but his fang's!! And only me tangling him up on the leash kept that last dog "alive!" I had deterred the other dog before I slipped. But even on my back ,I was gonna stop that dog from getting to him. I was bracing for impact ... when Rocky stepped up!

I was freaking stunned and yeah grateful!! I had shown him by "Walking Him," and keeping people out of his face (which was new for me) that I had his back. And (it was month's) unbeknownst to me that I found out ... he had mine! We had 10 year's together before he passed. :(

And in his decade with me ... he never bit anyone! Workingline GSD's are great dog's but I would never recommend one to anyone I know??? But Boxer's ... LOL well maybe???

Anyway ... so what is point here?? Well when you get a rescue ... no one can say what the deal is??

And the safe bet would be off course to just pass on the Rescue for now?? And yeah while no one, has done what you are purposing?? It does not mean it can't be done??

You could maybe possibly get him as soon as you can and do at least some version of the "Two Week," shut down. And it may work out great!

And so you know some dog's luv puppy's and some dog's not so much?? It depend's on the dog but it should not be "assumed," that liking the puppy is a given?? Or plan B, get the puppy and ask the "Rescue," if they can keep him for another month?? And explain why?? Most Foster's would not have a problem with that as they have probably gotten attached to the dog anyway?? It can be hard letting them go ... And anyway in another month or so ... you'd be able to take your puppy to meet, his possible new brother and see how they get along??

I don't know but it is a thought?? :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
I would be very careful introducing a new puppy to a dog that just came from a rescue that doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Its always nerve wracking introducing a new pup to the older dog because you never really know how they will react in different situations if not aggressive maybe too rough for the puppy. Plus people always seem to assume that dogs are going to like each other not so. they are as varied as people are you don't like all the people you meet for sure! A lot of the times dogs are given up to rescues because someone has not spent the time training them and they have some kind of behavioral problems or aggression problems so my best advice is to tread very carefully here if you decide to go ahead everything may go well but be prepared for it not to.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Only thing I would add is the puppy will be your first responsibility. Lot of your time is going to be used up just on the pup. If it was me, I would wait a couple months so the pup is settled and has basic training down. Then if you still want the rescue, most places will do a meet and greet. So you can bring your pup along just to gauge how it goes.

Congrats on the pup.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree with the above. We have 2 Boxer puppies and they are handful. They need some much attention and training. My past experiences with rescues have been wonderful, but they need and deserve time to be properly introduced to a new home, something you can certainly do later. That also can be challenging but is completely doable. Our last rescue we adopted when our boy was about 10 years old. Our senior boy was happy enough to have a new female friend, however she was much more dominant than him. Therefore we definitely had to work with them both to make sure she didn't come into the house and be too aggressive with him trying to dominate him. This included not allowing her on the furniture at first, letting him out of the house first, letting him in the house first, things like that basically establishing him in the upper part of the pack. Wasn't too bad. But yes, there are so many dynamics to consider when bringing dogs together, I have learned many of them the hard way. Like now for example, I bought 2 puppies from the same litter, a male and female, they are a lot of work and a lot of fun. can't wait to see your new baby and am glad you will keep a spot in the family for a future rescue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone! I had written a response but I'm not sure where it went. I used to volunteer at an animal shelter and all my dogs have been rescues in the past so I am very well versed in rescues and am extremely aware that not all dogs get along. I appreciate everyone's response. We will wait a few months and possible get him a friend in the future, but perhaps a different breed. Thank you so again!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey all!! I am new here and excited! We are getting an 8 week old brindle male in about two weeks. I had turned in a contract a month or so ago and thought no way I'd be getting one, due to them having many contacts before me, but due to unforseen circumstances I was able to put a deposit down on one. They are an AKC breeder and this little boy is the great grandson of a champion! Anyways, because we didn't think we'd be getting a pup, we turned in some applications to a few boxer rescues. So now we are thinking of adopting a 2 - 3 year old female rescue, and getting the pup, basically at the same time. Is this a terrible idea? I've always had 2 dogs at a time and think it's good for them to have another dog in the house to play with. I've done a lot of research as getting a boxer is not a spur of the moment decision, but would love input. Will they become dependant on each other? I would love to be able to rescue as well but don't want to cause problems. Any input or other advice is greatly appreciated.
I'd hold off on a second dog - a puppy needs a lot of attention. Get him crate-trained and established, and then a year or two down the road you might consider another. We have one client who has bought a boxer pup from us every 4-5 years and is now on her 5th pup from us. We have many return clients because we spoil our pups with daily handling, so they are well-socialized. email me at [email protected] and I'll be happy to send endless advice.
Dave Smola, Ronin Boxers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd hold off on a second dog - a puppy needs a lot of attention. Get him crate-trained and established, and then a year or two down the road you might consider another. We have one client who has bought a boxer pup from us every 4-5 years and is now on her 5th pup from us. We have many return clients because we spoil our pups with daily handling, so they are well-socialized. email me at [email protected] and I'll be happy to send endless advice.
Dave Smola, Ronin Boxers
Thank you! I just sent you an email. We will definitely be waiting thanks to the advice of everyone and a lot of discussion in our household.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts