Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple questions.  Diesel is about 5 months old now and me wife and I are having a real hard time with him jumping on people when they come over the house.  He will not do it with us but when anyone else comes over he gets really excited and jumps all over people.  Any suggestions on what to do to control this?  I have never had a dog do this so i have no clue.  Also, when he gets excited his normally pink face (around his nose on his mask) gets bright red.  For example when we take him to the groomers or to the pet store, his face gets bright red.  After he calms down is back to a pale pink again.  Anybody have thhis hapen to their dog?

Any help would be appreciated on either matter.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sorry I don't have any suggestions but would love to see a pic of the bright red face it sounds so funny almost like you pup is blushing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its hard to get a picture of the red face because he only does it when people come over or when we take him somewhere fun.  I can take a picture of him so you can see his pink face.  lol

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Hahaha, yeah the  pink face from excitement or tiredness is pretty typical at our house. Have you tried asking your guests not to look at or touch Diesel until he settles?? Worked pretty good for us and helps cut down the maniac excitement when people come in  :D

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Donnersmom is right, you and the guests need to COMPLETELY ignore him until he settles down.  Once he gets tired of trying unsuccessfully to get your attention the "wrong" way he will go sit or lay down somewhere.  THEN you can call him over to get pet calmly. Good luck! Training the people to do that will be harder than anything ;)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I use the settle command with Kiah and Keegan.  If you do a search for settle command there are a lot of tips for teaching this.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Oh I feel ya! Ace is 8 (almost 9) months. And we are still steadily working on the down command. He is pretty good with me. But with my husband and kids he is just a lunatic :wink:  :roll: We work with treats, rewarding when he actually listens and gets down. Also the cold shoulder tactic. Ignoring him and turning around works pretty good. But oh man I have been pegged right in the back and almost knocked down a time or two 8O . Good luck!! If you find something that works really well let me know! Ace is just a hoss!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My boy Harley was like that in his younger days. We just made sure that when guests came over they ignored him(no eye contact, petting, speaking to him) until he had settled. Once settled they could call him over and pet him but only on their terms. He eventually learnt that if he wanted attention he had to behave until called over. As for the red face Harley gets that too. It's just like if you go running or get excited your face will go red, the same thing happens to dogs. Or maybe just boxers...not too sure as my other non-boxer dogs have dark faces so I can't tell. But if he has been playing or gets excited to go somewhere or gets angry the skin around his muzzle will go beat red.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My Rowdy gets extremely red in the face when he's excited or tired. The first time I saw it I thought he was having an allergic reaction to his vaccinations. I even gave him some benadryl that night. Now I know it's normal and I get tickled when his face is so red.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
If you check out Zulus you tube clip from it me or the dog, Victoria deals witth some of those issue with him on there. :)

Thing is when you have visitors they have to work with you to get the result your looking for. If there anything like my visitors they are just as happy to see Zulu as he is for them and then i lose all hope of getting the situation corrected 8O .

Turning away and ignoring them will work wonders, you may get "the look" a few times but they soon get the hang of it. :lol:

·
Registered
761 Posts
Stick a note on your front door that explains your training your dog and that you would appreciate your visitor's cooperation.  In a few quick lines ask them to help and I bet most people will follow the rules.  Good luck, we're in the same situation.  We don't get many house guests cause we live away from most of our friends and family so we don't get to test it often.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts