Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had their puppies ears cropped at 15 weeks? The vets said it will be fine he has done it before. But I'm wondering how your dog did at that age and how well they stood, and length of time taping them. He's going next week I'm very excited. I will post photos. We are going with a short crop like this one.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I don't have much advice on ear crops, my opinion is to leave that for the show ring, likely won't be long till the American shows won't require a boxer to have cropped ears..just my humble opinion.

Anyways 15 weeks is really pushing it, typical age is 10 weeks. I would be really questioning your vets experience with cropping, does he have pictures of his work? I've seen some horrid crops done from vets who rarely perform the procedure.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I agree with 4paws! Unless you're showing him, and especially at 15 weeks, it's not worth the pain the poor guy will have to endure. Floppy is beautiful!!

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I have recently asked my vet about his thoughts on this. He will not crop after 12 weeks of age, he told me later the dog will have more pain and will more than likely remember the pain. Personally I like the floppy ears so I am also partial.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Every boxer we have had their ears have split. Idk what it is around here. We even brought a full grown one from Texas and his ears split in a week. We were told it would be almost positive dukes ears would do the same. The other dogs bled for years. There was nothing we could do. It was so sad. That's my reason for trying to avoid it

Attachments

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Typically cropping is done before 10 weeks of age. Be prepared for them to not stand properly.
Kari..many many years ago I bred a few litters of mini schnauzers. I did this under a mentor who showed, groomed and bred. She would have me have the ears cropped @ 7 1/2 weeks. I am curious I've seen a few posters (this one included) say they crop the ears because if not the ears split. I've had many a dog with floppy ears, including the boxer we have now and their ears are perfect. Also there are several (at least 4 boxers in my neighborhood) all with floppy ears and I've never noticed any splitting either. When I was a young kid we also had dogs but back in those days they were kept outdoors, not really pets now those dogs ears would split if you weren't careful because of flies. I remember my dad use to make something some sort of salve and put it on the dogs ears to keep the flies away so it wouldn't happen. (now I am aging myself) So why now when we treat our dogs as family members and they are indoors most times are dogs ears splitting? Just curious as I've never experienced this.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We are very glad they almost stood immediately. It will take very minimal taping for them to be perfect. He has done amazing with it. I didn't do it to hurt him. I cried like a baby, but for health reasons we previously ran into I found it necessary

1 - 8 of 8 Posts