Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well incase your wondering, I decided not to crop tyson's ears. I just had so much doubt, being his age, his temperment etc. that I just couldnt go thru with it. I think alot of it was the uncertainty as to how they would come out and the maintenance it may or may not have taken. I still love the cropped look for all thay  have cropped. Regardless we love tyson no matter what and now he doesnt have to go thru with it, and I am so relieved! Its been very stressfull believe it or not. Well Thanks for all of you who replied, I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Glade to here you did not get his ears done...they just look so much cuter with there big floppy ears :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea they do, I just read about messaging the natural ear, which when both lay down flat looks really good. I can see tyson has one ear that wants to stick up, so to speak; guess i will give the messaging a try!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I don't think I could get ears cropped either (besides I love the floppy look) but I do have to admit that the good crops look good on a boxer.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Good decision...I've been massaging Beckham's ears since we got him and his ears lay beautifully!  Nice crease down the middle and lay nicely along his face.  It's so easy to do too, plus it feels good to them :)  
I place the ear flap between my thumb and pointer finger and then just pull gently down the middle of each ear...keep repeating and before long you'll notice the difference!  Good luck

·
Registered
180 Posts
I love the way the crop makes a boxer look, that being said after going through what I am going through with Hondo's ears I will NEVER crop another. I have more money invested in those ears than I do in Hondo.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
i am glad you made a decision you are comfortable with. it is a pretty big thing to decide. can't wait to see more pics of tyson and his floppy ears! :)

·
Registered
839 Posts
I am glad to hear that you made the decision you did. From your last post, It sounded like you were very unsure of what to do!! I know you made the right decision. I am not partial either way, Boxers are just Beautiful babies!! Can't wait to see lots of pics of Tyson!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
you can tape the ears in the natural position as well........ it helps when you dont have time to message or if they are really flying!! if interested, i can forward you a link on how to do it...... good luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Whats this about messaging? Milla has huge cute floppy ears but its flipped open 80% of the time, do I have to do something to get them to lay "closed" all the time?

Huge, cute and floppy:

·
Registered
780 Posts
Glad you made a decision you are comfortable with!  I too love the floppy look!

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'm so glad you decided against it. I think you'll be happier in the long run. Not to mention...those floppy ears are just so damn cute.

·
Registered
22 Posts
srossouw\";p=\"67655 said:
Whats this about messaging? Milla has huge cute floppy ears but its flipped open 80% of the time, do I have to do something to get them to lay "closed" all the time?

Huge, cute and floppy:
sometimes when a pup is "teething", the ears will "fly", looking like the pup is holding them back...... rather than take the chance the ear muscle will learn that position, and eventually stay in the "back" position.... alot of people message the ear, or even tape the ear, in the "natural" position... which is forward.... hope that helps a little, but its kind of hard to explain without demonstrating........

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
buh... if given up on dungys ears lol... I've done the massage and taping and he hates both so i've decided his ears can go however they want lol

·
Registered
648 Posts
Yea - I tried it a couple of times but what is the point if they are 'natural' already! What is more natural then flying ears....Anyhow what does it have to do with ears and teething. I never have understood this point?

·
Registered
13 Posts
my five year olds ears "fly" and my 4 months old have been massaged to lay natural. Just whenever you notice them flying, flip them back to natural and gently press the fold in the corrrect seam. It's almost like the natural flop fold wants to invert, causing the ear to "fly" as the y say. Just lift your pups ear and "refold" it to the right way and massage the fold. THe fold is where the ear bends towards the face. Taping can be a little tramatic, if it has to be done alot. They will then associate touching of the ears with any pain that might be inflicted with the removing of the tape or the positioning of the ears.
There is also HAIR glue that can be used instead, you would take a bead of hair glue along the inside rim of your dog's ears, then press it to your dog's head where is to be positioned. You have to hold it for awhile BUt it wears off naturally and there is also a glue remover that is not toxic to humans. But with any chemical don't let your puppy eat it. I have personally tried this, but I have found that you have got to also glue the outter portion of the ear where the fold wants to invert. This isn't reccomended unless you clean it on a by-daily basis, as bacteria and dirt will accumulate. Rubbing alcohol usually takes the glue right off. I personally do not like to glue ears unles they will be of show stock, but that's only because of the time it takes to make that dog look perfect. They are already perfect in my eyes, to bad the judges can't see the way we all do. I have a problem with alcohol smells, and smells of some methane based fumes, like ether, can't go to the vet's office for very long at all, because of this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts