Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I really don't do anything but work and go home so i thought I would get involved with our boxer rescue here in Omaha.  

So I emailed the contact at the boxer resuce and they forwarded it to a volenteer that works there, she works for the City Law Department.....so I am going to meet her next week to talk about helping them and the oportunities they have avaliable.  I am so excited.  :)  So hopefully after next week I will be able to help out with the boxer resuce.  

Getting this news today has really brightened my week.  :)  I'm so excited.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Good for you for getting involved! Let us know how it goes!
I'd love to be able to do the same thing!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Good for you, let us know what they say.  If I had more room and didn't rent I would love to foster.  So for now, I donate and do something for their auction at the annual boxer bash but I would like to do more.

G

·
0 Posts
that is excellent news!  rescue is so rewarding, especially breed rescue where you intimately know the breed, b/c you own them.  we are more patient, forgiving, know the personalities of boxers more than anyone :)

there are so many things you could do for them working around your schedule.  and if finances are a problem, they will even help you with that.  they need physical bodies that love the breed more than anything.  transport, home checks, vet runs,  med runs, you name it.  there are several needs with rescues.

let us know how it goes!  i'm excited for you!!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Thats Great  -  you will love it, and at times hate it but I think you will totally get a great understanding of the breed, what are its problems, and how you can help yourself:)

Keep us posted!!!!!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am very excited....I'm also worried.  I love the breed so much I think it would break my heart to see them sad and lonely.  I know how much my boxers need my love and attention and they have each other to love also, I just know how lonely they would be without me.  I can't even go to the bathroom alone they will sit outside the door and cry.  My mom told me to buy a place in the country because I will eventually start taking them all home with me.  She's probably right I will want to take them all home.  

I'm sure it will be a wonderful experience.

G

·
0 Posts
yes you will have heartbreaking moments, but the good times will far outweigh the bad.  when you see dogs that are neglected, have temperment problems, afraid of ppl, sick, etc, as heather said you learn so much more about the breed you love.

rescue helps me with my dogs.  for instance, seeing dog aggressive rescues, i am much more committed to  teaching thor to  be less dog aggressive.  i think about my babies all the time when i see the rescues.  what if they got lost?

i think my thor would be one they would put down because he would be SO fearful that he would lash out.  

rescue is a wonderful thing, and although you'll never get used to the ones you can't save, you can save many, who would otherwise be lost.

i think of them all as someone's pet at one time and how "some" of them may still be looking for them.  in addition to rescue i scour the web for lost boxers and try to reunite them with their owners.  i've met some good ppl in several states that way.

you're going to be blessed far more than you can imagine!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I didn't foster for a Boxer rescue, but was very disappointed fostering for a local shelter. Make sure there are people you can contact with questions who will call you back the same day.  Find out what trainers they refer to in case there's a problem you can't figure out.  Find out whether you have to call them first before taking the dog to the vet's office.  If you have volunteers who are too swamped to return your calls for a few days, or never do, you can see where there would be problems.

I'd been told the prospective adopting family would call me, I'd get a feel about them, and be involved in the placement.  The pup was seen by the neighbor of a woman who took him for two days when we were out of town. Just a call from the shelter that they'd be picking him up, because this person had adopted from them before. Nursing this guy back to health, and doing intensive socialization was full time work, and yet we were not given any information about where he was going in this case.  If it didn't take 7 weeks to get a child aggression problem evaluated we would have kept him.  Even at the last minute we were denied since we'd never adopted from them.  

The point is to get things very clear from the start.  A good rescue values their foster homes.  They are wonderful and dedicated people.  I will foster for another Rescue, but do your homework.  I'm sure working with a breed specific rescue will be much easier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts