Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new here. I'm getting a new male sealed boxer pup next week. Any tips people.
I feel bad taking him from his mom but I know he will have great life with us.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi I'm new here. I'm getting a new male sealed boxer pup next week. Any tips people.
I feel bad taking him from his mom but I know he will have great life with us.
Congratulations.
There’s an amazing amount of great info this site, as well many many very knowledgeable and helpful members.
I’d suggest that you start reading posts about crate training and other new puppy related posts ASAP, before you bring him home.
It’s going to a fun first year!

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Congratulations! You will fall deeply in love with your boxer puppy. There really isn't anything sweeter. I recommend crate training. Mine would chew and eat anything his first year and a half, its a good place where he will be safe when not under your direct supervision. It can be difficult the first week. It also helps the pup learn that it is ok to be away from you and in some cases will help prevent separation anxiety. The first few nights we sat next to the crate as the puppy fell asleep, we also covered the crate, leaving just the front open. I wouldn't buy an expensive bed as he will probably chew it to pieces. I also suggest a kong, the you can fill with a number of things (you can google) and only give him this in his crate. Never make a big deal of the crate he goes in and comes out when quiet. Same when you leave house. We never tip toe as we wanted ours use to the fact that that was his spot. But there is a lot of info online to help.I must say we were sleep deprived the first two weeks as we learned his schedule, we also feed on schule which helped. Puppy like and need to sleep a lot, they also go on and off their food while teething. There are many on this forum that can give you plenty of ideas to try to see what works with your pup. I for one put a small collar n leash on whenever I took puppy to his outdoor potty area, as soon as he finished we praised and black inside.l We didn't associate playing with potty time until the job was done and he came in. Then he played got fed, potty time again and crate. Though there were lots of in-between time we just cuddled with him on our lap. When he got fidgety and bites potty time again and crate. Its a lot of work in the beginning getting him on your routine and coordinating his needs but the payoff is great. We also love pictures here so we hope you come back and share your puppy.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Congrats! We can't wait to see photos.

As noted above, read various things on the site. Google it for specific concerns you may have and there's probably a thread. If not, create one and you should get some good feedback. There are a lot of great experienced owners on here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The big day is tomorrow I will definately take pics. We had a boxer female 20 years ago and my husband just wanted another one after a yorkie and a chihuahua lived till their old age with us. He always had that love for his boxer. We have the crate ready and thanks for the tip about teething and going off their food sometimes good to know. I dont work so I will definately be keeping him company or he will be keeping me company. So glad its summer when we are getting him so he will be trained before the snow comes. I will be back soon with pics.

Does anyone have experience with doing the ears? What age should it be done and how long do they have to stay bandaged? I'm crossed because I've heard its very painful as to whether or not to do it.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I personally don't crop the ears, I like the look of flops ears. In many countries it is now illegal to crop. I think it should be done between 10-12 weeks of age if that is what you want. Your vet should be experienced at cropping a boxers ears so that he gets it the right length. Afterwards the ears are taped so that the cartilage hardens and they stand up.

·
Registered
634 Posts
What an exciting day! I'm with Linda on the ears, I prefer the natural floppy ear so I can't give data.
I have read on here that there are fewer ear infections and issues with the cropped ears- it makes sense. We live in the SE USA so it gets humid, but we use an ear cleaner and we rarely have an infection.

It's great you'll be home a lot. That should help your training go faster, and you can nap with him during the day to make up for the night potty training trips. :)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Congrats. Its never to early to start training and setting boundaries. Just keep the sessions short and fun. :cheers:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well we have had Jaxx for two and a half months now and I have to say its been challenging. Hes at the stage where hes jumping and biting me every chance he gets. His teeth are starting to fall out now so I'm contributing it to that but some days I'm exhausted when my daughter and husband get home from work I just want some peace and quiet. I put him outside hes walked regularly and has so many toys and things to chew on. Any suggestions and how long before they settle down.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Well the settle down time is usually at least a year sometimes two. I have had females who seem to settle faster. I have a 9month old male and he is working on settling but we are not there yet! He still will chew on things and gets very excited sometimes but I take him and my year old female out everyday for at least a mile or two walk sometimes if we are lucky there is a place we can go and I can let them run as much as they want for a mile or two they do need to get that energy out of them. I find after our morning outings they mostly lay around the rest of the day and then play again in the evening. I know its a trying time when they are young but if you stick with it they usually reward you with being a great dog. They are dogs that like physical and mental activities they are very sensitive dogs and very intelligent so that's why they are such a challenge for people but I like most people on this site find they are worth it! Good luck

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Depends on what you mean by settle down. If you are talking energy level, my guy is 3 1/2 and still has the same energy level. If you are talking about jumping and biting, well those are issues that will stop with training. Biting usually will stop after teething, but it should never be acceptable and the pup should know that.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
... but some days I'm exhausted when my daughter and husband get home from work I just want some peace and quiet. I put him outside hes walked regularly and has so many toys and things to chew on. Any suggestions and how long before they settle down.
The biting and jumping is pretty much par for the course with most dog's. But the driving you "Nut's??" Yeah that is kinda sorta a "Boxer," Breed characteristic?? And most likely to be found in Malinois also ... AKA Mali-Gators. :)

And German Shepard's (and no you did not ask, but I'm going somewhere here.) I pretty much never recommend to uh ... anyone I know. And Boxer's ... LOL well yeah ... "maybe??" And as I tend to put it a "poorly" behaved, GSD "can be" a Law Suit on four paws, waiting for a place to happen. And a poorly behaved Boxer ... well as I tend to phrase it ... they can be a pretty "hair pulling experience." :)

And it sounds like ... that is where you are at??? And yeah you really don't want to wait until he get's a grip on his own, cuz then you are talking, well years???

So forget that course of action. But fear not cuz ... your answer to getting him to chill out, is here. But first I also have to say "Structure" in the home," is also important. And that would include, Crate Training, and as such the Dog sleeps in his Crate and not on your bed. No free Roaming in the Home. If he is indoors he is in his Crate or in "Place," and uh not on the furniture???

But hey it's a Boxer Board, and I seriously doubt there are many if any members here, that enforce that strict a code of conduct??? But hey I tend to say as long as a dog is not a threat to people?? Then some stuff can slide?? :)

So back on point and what can you do to get him to "Chill the Heck out ... Now??" That can be done and the answer is buried here! Training "Calmness" into a dog, is actually a "Thing!" And it's all pretty much explained in detail right here.:

https://www.boxerforums.com/training/183298-fearful-anxious-flat-crazy-place-command.html

It will cover pretty much all you need to know?? But of course you can also, ask questions. And "pro's"" won't really give an answer as to how long?? But hey, I'm not a "pro." And I would say that if you focus, on training "Place," you can get it done in about a month???

So step one, take a deep breath and chill. Review the info and then you know just do it. It's gonna take time and patience but if you focus on getting it done ... you will see results. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Congratulations, I'm also going to have a new dog next week. It is a decision that I was thinking about for a while but one day I was looking for miniature bull terrier for sale and the Costa Cabana Breeder appeared to me and the truth is that they gave me the confidence I need. They are professionals in this breed and I am dying to pet my dog. Greetings

·
Registered
634 Posts
Well we have had Jaxx for two and a half months now and I have to say its been challenging. Hes at the stage where hes jumping and biting me every chance he gets. His teeth are starting to fall out now so I'm contributing it to that but some days I'm exhausted when my daughter and husband get home from work I just want some peace and quiet. I put him outside hes walked regularly and has so many toys and things to chew on. Any suggestions and how long before they settle down.
Our boys mellowed more when they were around 2. Tundra faster, Jax a little slower. Bandit is 2.5 years old and still has a lot of boxer energy. He loves to play still.
Jax just turned 6 and he and Bandit still wrestle a bit in the mornings and evenings.
As noted above, the biting has to be stopped when they are young with consistency. Keeping a toy or something they can chew on handy helps so much. It's hard to train yourself to keep the toy near, but so worth it once you do.

When Bandit was younger I had some structured play time with him in the backyard and training time. We've always had more than one boxer, so that helped as they play with each other some of the time too.

They mellow with time and age. It also sounds like you have more people in the house who can spend some quality/play time with Jaxx. The first couple of months with a puppy are the most trying as they are learning everything. Potty training, what they can and can't do... it gets better and before you know it, you'll be wondering where all the time went.

Get lots of pictures...they grow fast!

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Well my boy learned pretty quickly that jumping and biting were a no no. From day one we taught off, a knee lift into their chest cured that pretty quick. The no bite took a bit longer. We tried the yelp, heh gets dogs attention but doesn't stop it really, giving an appropriate chew toy was an option. But there were times he was just out of control..then we would take him out to potty and joyfully put him in his crate where he would end up taking at wo hour nap. We realized that wet he got to that stage he was over tired, just like a toddler and he needed a nap. He is now 5 years old and the best boy ever.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Well my boy learned pretty quickly that jumping and biting were a no no. From day one we taught off, a knee lift into their chest cured that pretty quick. .
LOL the "Knee thing!" :)

You would not believe the "dust up" that caused on Germanshepardforum!! Now of course ... I most likely caused it and as such I was right in the middle of it! But on the other hand ... "Dog's" don't jump up on me, more than once anyway ... so there is that!!

But the thing seems to be, it's not an "easily transferable skill??" And certainly "Not" to company?? Your dog won't jump on you but guest are fair game. :confused:

Turning your Back and or squealing like a "Pig." I find are both particularly effective??? Those might work on dog's that are timid or shy?? And breeds that are "softer??" But with your average Boxer or High Energy dog .... "Good Luck" with either of those approachs. :)

Dog's will default to what they know. And correcting a dog ... "Right then" is the best course of action! And the "Knee thing" is the most effective technique to stop them from jumping on "You!" But hey other people are still fair game, apparently??

Jeff Gellamn tends to use the stand on the leash. My buddy Lou Castle ... used and at least "taught student's" to use the "Hand in the face" and a loud "NO!" And the Squeeze Paw, guy would let the dog jump up and you'd grab his paw's and squeeze them and not let go for a bit??

That might be effective but I doubt most people ie guest ... would be fast enough to grab a Boxer's paw???

But hey ... if one does not want to address the jumping issue directly, there are work around's. And it's not Sit, which most dog's default to anyway when they are confused??? If you want to go pure "Positive Only" it can be done. Instead of fighting with a behavior you don't want?? You train a behavior you do want. And those would be "Down and Place."

If a dog starts to jump on someone ... while your out and about, you'd command "Down!" And if your at home it would be "Place!" Which would also get them out of company's face! :)

But hey ... you'd have to train both of the preferred behaviors first! And you know that takes time. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the advice. With a morning walk and then eating he sleeps for a while then hes outside playing and then I walk him mid afternoon then after work my husband and daughter take him to a fenced in area of the school and let him run then he pretty much crashes by 8 at night sleeps the night. The worse part is between 3-5 I try and occupy him with toys and things to chew on but the cage has always been an issue.
We had snow last night and it was funny to see him this morning he didnt know what it was. Sort of comical.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. With a morning walk and then eating he sleeps for a while then hes outside playing and then I walk him mid afternoon then after work my husband and daughter take him to a fenced in area of the school and let him run then he pretty much crashes by 8 at night sleeps the night. The worse part is between 3-5 I try and occupy him with toys and things to chew on but the cage has always been an issue.
We had snow last night and it was funny to see him this morning he didnt know what it was. Sort of comical.
Glad things are going better. Routine is really helpful. It is fun to see them with new experiences. Our youngest boxer will stay out in the snow if we'd let him. He loves playing in it.
Please share some photos if you can.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts