Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I just got a pretty little Fawn Boxer baby girl who is 4 months old. Right now in Cincinnati we are having record cold temps and she will barley go out side. Any tips on to get her to stay out side or deal with the cold temps. She is only 20lbs and shivers with in a few min out side.

Joe and Becca

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Honestly I don't understand your question. While you are having record low temps, the only reason to have a 4 month old pup outside is for bathroom breaks. Go potty and get her back in the warmth. I don't really know why you would want her to stay outside and deal with the cold temps. That sounds a bit inhumane to me.
If you are questioning how to get her outside to go potty, have you tried a doggy sweater or jacket? They sell booties also. You may have to bundle up and go out with her.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I have booties for Kiah in the very cold weather and use an old sweatshirt I have altered for her.  We always go out on her leash.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
i agree with lisa... she is way to young to go for long walks in these temps!  5 minutes at the most.

·
Registered
80 Posts
When Ivan was a pup we had snow for many months and he did not go out for a walk or a play for 3 months! you just have to find some fun games for her inside:)

These pups are so naked when they are this young

·
Registered
693 Posts
Welcome from central N.Y. Full grown Boxers shouldn't be outside in sub zero temps for any length of time.
Just about as long as it takes to potty is about how long they should be exposed to those temps.

·
Registered
491 Posts
:aua:

I think at this age should be outside... poop... pee... back in the house..

I would never leave her out for more time than that.

My 70 lb moose, does not even like it still.....   :D  :D  :D

G

·
0 Posts
the only time I let my 6 month old and 12 month old out are to potty..this is usually about 5 minutes...or if they are outside romping in the snow burning off energy...they stay warm while playing..but I would never let them out just to be out...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of the responses. She is only going out to go to the bathroom and even during those few min she starts to shiver. The problem is that I think she is associating the cold with the out side and everytime I stand by the door to take her out she runs away.

oh......I forgot on my first post...Hello everyone my wife and I living in Cincinnati and are new dog Lola is our first boxer and second dog. So far she has been amazing!! Very friendly, easy to house break, and few snuggly.

Joe and Becca

·
Registered
275 Posts
HI there!

I live in Northern NY - and boy does your story bring back memories!  We got Tucker last January - when it was below zero, extremely windy, and snowed for WEEKS straight.  Tucker learned about house training quite fast - which is why he ran and hid every time he had to pee or poop!  He didn't want to be taken out in the cold.  And when we did catch him fast enough and took him outside?  He'd stand there and just YOWL pathetically and keep hold up his paws trying to get me to pick him up.

Finally, I gave up on the battle and just bought piddle pads.  I put them down next to the door we wanted him to go out and let him use those.  I know some people say that it confuses the dog, but it didn't Tucker at all.  As soon as it got warmer, I took a partially used piddle pad out and laid it in the snow right where I wanted him to go.  I also used bell training and he picked right up on it.  

Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
we dont stay outside when its cold. we walk to the end of the street and back so the girls get a quick 5 minute juant and get to go potty and then back inside we go were it is warm

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I would use a leash to take your pup out at for now. Also a nice coat or sweater would be a big help as well..Altho it doesn't get quite that cold here, my 2 seem to like the cold(strange) :)

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
good advice...just keep in mind though that boxers have very little fur to keep them warm...which would be like you or i going outside with them to play with just a t-shirt on...i wouldn't do it to myself so I wouldn't put her through that...I always put a sweater on my baby.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Oh, I agree. I am only talking about taking him out to potty.  I never leave him out there to just hang out.  If he is out, I am right there with him.  But it's freezing!!! And I have this cute Chicago Bears fleece for him that is just absolutely adorable.  He actually loves wearing it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts