Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone - I am new to the site and an absolute Boxer lover! We just adopted our sixth boxer - a 6 mos. old female we named Lucy about a month ago from the local Boxer rescue. She had kennel cough, mange, and diarrhea. We have managed to eliminate the first two but the last one is still lingering. Vet has taken two fecal samples, said he saw some unidentifiable protozoa and put her on Metronidazole 250mg for a week - didn't work...So, he was going to order a diagnostic kit from Texas A&M to see if they could give some guidance. Well, two weeks went by and no kit. In the meantime, my pet sitter asked if he had checked for Giardia and I said that I wasn't sure so when I took her in for her last and final scraping, I asked him to check for this and low and behold it was positive (I was kind of ticked that he didn't check for this in the beginning). He put her on Metro 500mgs this time around. We are on day 4 and still no help. I contacted another Vet and they recommended the same course of treatment but to add some immodium and a bland diet. I am giving her some plain yogurt too to add back in the good bacteria. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, does anyone know a home remedy to disinfect the backyard without killing all the grass? Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Fredo had giardia for so long, he was on antibiotics twice. We just went for the recheck and thank god, he's not positive, however, he still has diarrhea and i'm at my wits end.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FREDOSMOM\";p=\"48861 said:
Fredo had giardia for so long, he was on antibiotics twice. We just went for the recheck and thank god, he's not positive, however, he still has diarrhea and i'm at my wits end.
Sorry to hear that! Gosh, I keep checking her skin to make sure she is staying hydrated and I am the biggest worry wart when it comes to my Boxer kids. What are you doing for him as far as food, etc. How did you disinfect your yard?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to the forum, So sorry to hear about Lucy and her troubles....I am trying to remember what someone had told me to disinfect your yard naturally...May take me a couple days, but if I find it, I'll PM you...

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks samsonsmom! That would be really helpful.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I know that you can use this to rid your yard of pests, not sure if it would work for anything else tho. It's not your normal grade of diatomecous earth, so what you would use for pools, wouldn't work..I know this is very effective. Plan on using in on our lawn come spring time

http://www.dirtworks.net/Diatomaceous-E ... FQodCSVl7A

·
Registered
405 Posts
Abby had it when we rescued her, let me offer what I can....I think we went through 3 or 4 rounds of metro...I "believe" there is one other med available but they do not like to offer it up unless it is a deparate case bc it is the ONLY other med that works and you do not want your baby building up an immunity to both.  It can take several rounds of the metro and from what I learned as we were dealing with it, we were pretty lucky that it did only take 3 or 4 rounds...some have dealt with it for months on end before it got under control.  Lucy may have been dealing with this for quite some time now, so it may be a long battle.

Thoughts on yogurt...good concept, we do it for ourselves, but dogs are not great at digesting dairy so she may be having a rough time with it, maybe ask your vet on this...maybe he has probiotics for dogs or ask if human probiotics are ok (Flora Q and Align are good ones) for dogs.  

Pumpkin is good for belly problems, and of course, while it will not cure her, it may help solidify her stool, so offer a couple tablespoons of pure canned pumpkin (not hte kind with spices in it).  Solidifying her stool is important because of the next thing:

You MUST clean up after her each time she goes. The giardia remains alive and hangs out in the stool even after she goes and gets into your soil...she can re-infecting herself while sniffing around and you can also get giardia which is an extremely difficult thing, not only for the poopr dogs, but for humans. I konw one man who had it so bad he had to have 2 bags of IV fluid a day for 6 months bc he had so much diahrea. SO pick up as much as possibe (which is where the solid poop versus liquid is useful) and then you want to take a mixture of bleach and water (I believe the vet had said a 10 (water) to 1 (bleach) combo was adequate, but I made it a bit stronger) and pour it where she goes to kill the giardia left on the ground.  There will be accidents in the house/crate with this as she will have little control over it, so attempt keeping her in areas that are easily cleaned.  If she sleeps in your bde at night, you may want to consider crating her at night for a while, etc. If she goes in her crate, you need to clean it really well, for the same reasons that the giardia will remain in there. We used the same combination of bleach and water and let it sit for a while each time. Then rinse really well so she is not exposed to the bleach. Abby went nuts when she had accidents in her crate and would end up steppng in it and then jumping at the sides of her crates smearing it, so make sure you wash all the wires, etc when there's an accident in case she is pawing at the sides or anything.

Good luck, I know how frustrating it can be...Abby wasn't even house trained yet when this was happening and it was so difficult to house train her when she had no control!!!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Sorry your new girl is having problems and Giardia is sometimes a hard one to catch. The Metronidazole is the best course of treatment for it and can take up to 10 days, sometimes longer.....It is an organism that has a complex life stage so it is possible that your girl had it when you got her from rescue or maybe even got it while in rescue or previous to going there. On disinfecting your yard, Giardia is a water-borne parasite so there is no need to try and treat your yard unless you have an area that your dog poops that hold or has standing water.

·
Registered
405 Posts
sorry, just read the end of your post....by the way, the bleach at 10 to 1 will probably kill the grass a little..i made it more like 50%-50% and we did have a couple spots of brown, but I didn't care...it grw back and they were tiny as it was only directly where she pooped.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Sharon's statement about disinfecting conflicts with mine...she's a vet though so listen to her! The bleach combo was what was advised by my vet, not sure why given what Sharon says...hm.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gosh, thanks for all the good tips everyone! I know this poor girl has been through a lot. The rescue said the orginal owners dropped her off at the SPCA to be euthanized due to hair loss...Can you believe some people???

I worry so much about dehydration and her general overall health as she is just a baby... She is 37 lbs at 7mos. She eats like a horse and is drinking fine. She has that boxer energy and her coat and gum color and appearance are good.  Is there anything you all think I should watch out for while she is enduring all this?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Sophie had giardia when I brought her home and I was given Metronidazole (for 7 days) and Panacur (a powder that I sprinkled on her food for 5 days).  It was cleared up in a weeks time, but it was very scarey for me with such a young puppy.  Here is a really good link that explains what it is and what to do about disinfecting your yard and area where you dog can reinfect herself.  I used a 100% bleach solution to disinfect the linoleum floors in the apartment where we were living and ammonia on any carpet accidents.  Sophie was being paper trained at that point so disinfecting the yard was not an issue - and then we moved into our home when it was cleared up so I never had to disinfect the yard.  I do remember my vet telling me to confine her to one specific area and then disinfect it with ammonia or bleach (which would of course kill any vegetation in the yard).  But the cysts can live even in freezing temperatures so you want to make sure you thoroughly disinfect the area where the dog goes to the bathroom so you don't get reinfected.  Anyway, here is the link to info on Giardia.

http://www.priory.com/vet/giardia.htm

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
AbbyandBrady\";p=\"48879 said:
Sharon's statement about disinfecting conflicts with mine...she's a vet though so listen to her! The bleach combo was what was advised by my vet, not sure why given what Sharon says...hm.
Ahhh everyone does things a little different and of course it does not hurt to bleach your yard (except for killing the grass.)

Giardia are tricky, because the test only comes out positive if your dog is actively throwing off cysts, if your dog test positive that means it is infectious right now.  It is an asymptomatic condition.  It is thought once a carrier always a carrier and an outbreak will occur when the immune system is low much like demodectic mange outbreaks.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I would follow Sharon's advice any day as she was very helpful when my Soph had the problem.  I only used straight bleach because I'm a fanatic and not because someone told me to do it lol.  I had been putting newspaper down for her to potty on in the apartment - and just wanted to make sure I killed everything possible.  I was not recommending that anyone else do that.  Whatever Sharon recommends is what I would do - didn't mean to imply that you should go around pouring bleach on everything.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
haha...Kate my comment was not about yours it was on the thing that AbbyandBrady's mom said .....indicating that what I said was different form her vet.  I did not want her to feel her vet gave her some poor advice or anything all of us have a little different opinions on things and how we go about treatment.... none are really right or wrong on the most part.  There is always new information to be learned all the time.....I have recently learned that when treating Giardia it is best to use Metro in addition to Panacur which seems like over kill to me but they say it works faster.....:)  Okay Skylar sorry to highjack your thread.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No problem, Sharon. All the tips from everyone are really making me feel better and helping me out. Came home to a big mess today. Broke out the bleach and water...I called my pet sitter to start coming mid-day until she is better. Cooked the chicken and rice, mixed it with a couple teaspoons of pumpkin and 1/2 c. of  Nutro puppy (chicken, rice, & oatmeal). Naturally, I had to give the our big boy some too. Bought the Kaeopactate for in the morning so we will give that a go. I am just so glad I found a forum for Boxers - this is so awesome. I am trying to post a pic of my babies but I am not too good at it yet.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sharonL\";p=\"49031 said:
Those are some great pics I love the one with kitty in the sun :)
Thanks, Sharon. Jake, one of our cats, thinks he is a dog. He loves the dogs and sleeps with them in their dog bed during the day. Sharon, question for you- I bought the Kaeopectate and just mixed  in 2T. with her meal this a.m. but I notice that the dosage calls for every 1/2 to 1 hours. Do you think 2T in the a.m. and 2T in the p.m. is sufficient?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Fredo got a three round vaccine for Giardia (i guess b/c he had it twice) but has anyone else had this? Our regualr vet (who we are going to now) said they usually don't give that and they don't think they even keep it in the office.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
FREDOSMOM\";p=\"49142 said:
Fredo got a three round vaccine for Giardia (i guess b/c he had it twice) but has anyone else had this? Our regualr vet (who we are going to now) said they usually don't give that and they don't think they even keep it in the office.
I have been doing a lot of researching on Giardia and have seen several mentions of the vaccine but of course I had to ASK my vet to even test for it so I am not real confident in him right now.

Speaking of, if anyone is in Houston, TX and knows a good vet, I am in need!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts