Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I just wanted to thank everyone for the welcome!
I feed all my dogs Innova EVO it is 42% protien and does not contain grain. Gisselle like I said is underweight, at the vet yesterday he said she scored a 2 on the body condition scale which isn't good. He said that the food I am feeding her is fine and that it will just take time to gain weigt, but I was wondering if anyone out there has had an underweight boxer before and if there was something else I can do? She needs to put on at least 10 lbs.And the vet also said she i smore likely 2 yrs. old.
Now on to the name, I have been searching for a new name for her, Does anyone know of any good sites to visit to find one? I have searched but haven't found anything I liked. Or Does any one have any suggestions?
Jessica
"Gissell"-2 yr. Flashy Fawn Natural/docked

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I like Gissell... I tried to do that whole dog name site thing... and I just couldn't find anything I liked. I then decided what kind of name I wanted for him.... something strong... bold... dominate... yet not scary. I then did research on greek mythology... googled: greek gods... then norse gods... finally came across Odin... and LOVED it.  So maybe you should think of what type of name you want for her and just do a simple search on google and see what pops up.

As far as the weight thing goes... this is my first boxer and even with other dogs I've never had a weight problem. Hopefully some one else can help you with that.  I have heard Innova EVO is a great brand though!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
my Savannah is 2, and when we adopted her from the breeder she was roughly 10 pounds underweight, she wouldnt eat for the first week so she eventually ended up losing more weight. I posted a thread because i was concerened and out of all the great responses, the one that worked best for us is adding boiled chicken and rice to her food. we did that for a week or two. she started eating more of her dog food, and she has also put on the weight she lost when we first got her. she has only been home a month, but i know that it wont take long to pack on those extra 10 pounds. hope it helps!

·
Registered
616 Posts
How about Laila?  That is the name of Muhammad Ali's daughter.  I'm not sure you are into naming them for boxers like that.  Just a thought.  

I also like Mabry and Zoey.

·
Registered
162 Posts
42% is really high protein content for Boxers - something about growing bones and hip displasia - around 26-30% I have heard is better.  Have you tried adding real food to her diet - Like chicken, steak, boiled eggs, etc?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will have to look into that. The vet never mentioned anything about the food not being good for her. I am going to give him  a call.
Jessica

·
Registered
977 Posts
Would it be possible that high protein dog foods have an 'atkins diet'-like effect :? or am i just being silly :lol:

·
Registered
162 Posts
caillou\";p=\"6340 said:
Would it be possible that high protein dog foods have an 'atkins diet'-like effect :? or am i just being silly :lol:
I think it just makes them grow too fast and breeds that have hip issues it could cause problems - I think I read that somewhere when I first looked into what food to feed Chloe.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Innova EVO is made to be as close to a Raw diet as it can get in kibble form, It is great for really active dogs which is why I feed it(my other two are EXTREMLEY active) But I also feed it because it is grain free and my American Pit bull terrier is allergic to grains.
Jessica

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ssimmons99\";p=\"6342 said:
[quote="caillou\";p=\"6340":1a57mpj3]Would it be possible that high protein dog foods have an 'atkins diet'-like effect :? or am i just being silly :lol:
I think it just makes them grow too fast and breeds that have hip issues it could cause problems - I think I read that somewhere when I first looked into what food to feed Chloe.[/quote:1a57mpj3]

Ok so then would feeding just a plain rwa diet do the same? I researched the food before I started feeding it and talked(e-mailed) the company to discuss it with them and they stated that innova evo was made to be as close to raw as you can get in kibble form for people who wanted to feed raw but couldn't prepare the meals at home. I wouldn't want to feed them something that is going to cause problems in the future.
Jessica

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ssimmons99\";p=\"6339":1fj553l4]According to [url="http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com said:
www.dogfoodanalysis.com[/url] they say the following:

[color=brown:1fj553l4]"Review Date: Mon March 6, 2006

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would have to refer you to dog analysis.com that states
The only caution we would make on this food is that the high protein content may make it suitable for adult dogs only, particularly in the case of large breeds.  
 But like I said; yours isn't a puppy anymore - but trying the real meat to get them to gain some weight should help like chicken, turkey, ham, etc.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I think it was either samsonsmom or mom2scout&gunner who said peanut butter & yogurt in a kong once a day works well to put weight on your dog. How about adding some extra snacks into her diet as well as the real meat? Just a suggestion :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts