Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my boyfriend says we shouldn't be showing Fredo too much affection because it will create a dominance issue. We watch the dog whisperer all the time and he says the same thing, just a little bit after thery've earned it. Our vet also said that and not to give him kisses on his face. Well I'm all about loving up all on my puppy and it's so hard not to so we're at a constant battle over this. Does anyone else hold back affection ?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I don't. He gets all the loving in the world and I have no problem with him.  He's my baby.  We cuddle on the couch watching tv, he comes to bed and cuddles with us in the morning before we have to get up and sometimes sleeps with us all night.  He loves kisses, Adam and I give him kisses all the time.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Just another note---My vet gives him tons of attention, we will go in there and she tries to spend as much time with him as she can, while we are waiting she will stop in between patients and pet him and give him treats.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I love on Ringer all the time as long as he isn't being bad.  He doesn't seem to have any dominance issues unless you consider barking in the house.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, that's how I am my bf is just afraid that he'll start showing dominance, he wants him to be his little soldier. He works late though  so all day it's just me and Fredo, and he gets plenty of lovin...hahaha

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Boxers NEED the affection of their ppl.  I'm a pro dog trainer and behaviorist and I'm telling you its fine to love them up, but there does need to be balance.  You have to be a firm leader.

As for Ceasar Milan....those on here that know me know how I feel about him, but as you're new I'll share.  Ceasae Milan IS NOT a dog trainer.  He is a behaviorist.  Behaviorist's come in a fix a problem that is already occuring.  He is also one of those behaviorist's that uses old outdated techniques.  He puts trainers and behaviorists back 20 yrs.  Some of his advice is good and much like I will/have/do tell my own clients, but he methods are neandrathol at best.

I'm not the only person on the board that feels this way about him (just ask Jennifer [Newcastle]).  Anyways, I've ranted enough...

Hope this helps...If you want something more specific to tell the b/f (like the negative side effects of lack of attentention/affection) let me know...

***This post is not meant to offend anyone.  It is for informational purposes.  Any opinions expressed about televised behaviorists or trainers are my own.***

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the info. I think i'll print that to show the bf ahaha. Meanwhile I've been watching Cesar every day..man that guy is screwin us up...hahaha

·
Registered
317 Posts
I love up ALL my dogs and give them kisses and hugs.  I don't think anyone would be able to stop me from doing it. :wink:

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
I give Sadie all the love I can!! I agree with Dan, as long as she hasn't done something bad that is LOL. NOpe, we give her all the love in the world.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh man, if Marq & I quit showing affection to our 2 they would think they had really done bad...Both of them get face kisses, tons of hugs, scratches, cuddles and lots of talking as well.....Like Liz said, Boxers are very "people orientated" dogs, they crave our attention. To deny them that is cruel if you ask me....Even during training, I always give kisses, hugs and tons of praise and encoragement :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Boxers NEED the affection of their ppl.  I'm a pro dog trainer and behaviorist and I'm telling you its fine to love them up, but there does need to be balance.  You have to be a firm leader.
I agree 100%!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Nothing better than the boxer slurps if you ask me!  :D

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
What was the reason behind not kissing on the face? i always kiss maverick's face...just wondering if the vet gave a reason for that

·
Registered
186 Posts
The way I see it is if you don't give your dog affection then he will dislike you because he thinks you dislike him/her. With Loki if he gets in trouble he has to apologize before he gets lovins and he caought on to that pretty quick he just puts his nose against your cheek or gives you a hug to show that he is sorry. give your baby all the loving he wants.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Giving too much affection is only a problem for those that allow their dog to walk all over them.  It's not hard to give your dog loads of affection and still be the boss of the house.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Eactly...Its all about balance...lots of affection and a firm solid leader...

·
Registered
663 Posts
I give Bo lots and lots and lots of affection... I wouldn't have a dog if I couldn't.  That's what they are for, right??  He gives me just as much back though.  I love him, he's my baby boy.  I wouldn't deprive my child of affection so they would know I was the boss.....

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I absolutely show affection to my dogs because I do love them - they are part of my family and it would just be strange not to love them up.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts