Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going on vacation in may and of course julius is joining us but it is a very long trip and im just wondering if anyone has any suggestions???  i take him with me in the car alot,  but never for more than maybe an hour or so. any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Frequent pit stops, and some short walks every hour helped when Ekim was younger and we brought him to our condo at the beach. Now he sleeps most of the way and it usually me that needs the pit stops. This year we are taking Delila, It should be an experience.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Definitely frequent stops, have a place that he can be comfortable in the car...Also depending on how long the trip is, you may want to cut back his food before you leave....Some dogs do actually get a bit sick on long trips....Don't remember how old Julius is, but breaks every couple hours would be fine, limit the water also to a point :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
We took a 3000 mile roadtrip last year and drove straight thru....we stopped a couple times and just let them run and eat and be out of the car for 1/2 to hour. It worked for us...we did have our vet prescribe a sedative just in case, but we didn't need it:)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Don't have any other suggestions except have fun  :)

·
Registered
913 Posts
Like Barb said..."have fun!!
One thing..PLEASE be carefull when you stop, and check the area before letting your dog out. Ashley and I went to New Mexico when she was 3 months, and I stopped at a dog friendly potty area..I had my tennis shoues on..and didn't notice till she was about 10 feet in the dead brown weeds, that she was stepping on thistle stickers...poor baby...took me half an hour to get then all out from her little pads..I felt SOOOOO bad!! Now we do a thourogh check before she jumps out..

·
Registered
370 Posts
Allie does really good on car trips - long and short.  We have an SUV and put the seat down so she would have a lot of room.  We also take turns "sleeping" with her.  We take her blanket and a pillow too.  I limit her food intake before we go and her water.  We stop and let her potty and walk around a bit and then get back in the car and go again.  Right now we are considering a drive to Macedonia to a lake that borders Albania.  We know Allie would love it.  

Have fun!!!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Rocky does really well in the car.  The longest trip so far was about 4 hours and he slept most the way.  We only did one pit stop about half way through, which he didn't do anything.  But I think because it was a new place and a busy Mcdonald's.  The real test will come in sept. when we drive to montana.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts