Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My wife and I are going to the breeder tomorrow (2.5hr ride one way) to visit and pick out our future 3/4 Euro male pup. They are 4 weeks old today.

I have planned on asking her about shots/de-worming, flea preventive, future heart worm preventive, and bill of health.

Just wondering what else I may need to ask our breeder and need to look for in the pup?

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm assuming she's shown you parents health records? Is this the first time you're meeting the breeder? If so, look around you, go with your gut on surroundings, how the pups are being raised, cleanliness, smell, looks of other adult dogs. Are the pups and dogs part of the family or in a separate kennel?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I would ask to actually see the heart score certificate and any other health certificates the parents have.

when I saw my puppy I did not actually see the heart certificate but was told the parents had a 0 and a 1 heart score, I did not think to ask to actually see the certificates. I regret this.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm assuming she's shown you parents health records? Is this the first time you're meeting the breeder? If so, look around you, go with your gut on surroundings, how the pups are being raised, cleanliness, smell, looks of other adult dogs. Are the pups and dogs part of the family or in a separate kennel?
I have not met the breeder yet, nor have I been shown the health records. They are said to have health records for them. I have been shown pictures of all of the dogs on her website. Also I have seen lots of pictures of previous adults/puppies on their Facebook page. The adults & puppies both look healthy. She has sent me pics of past litter puppies (from the current owners) at various ages (from newborn to 2 years old)

The breeder is Allen Kennels in Winder GA if anyone has any info. From reviews I have looked at they breed really nice quality puppies. Their pups will come with a lifetime of support for them as well from the breeder.

I would ask to actually see the heart score certificate and any other health certificates the parents have.

when I saw my puppy I did not actually see the heart certificate but was told the parents had a 0 and a 1 heart score, I did not think to ask to actually see the certificates. I regret this.

Actually asking for this would do me no good as I have no clue as what I'm looking at or for, so maybe you can help me with what I need to look for??

·
Registered
353 Posts
You mentioned he is 3/4 euro. What is the other 1/4? Are they a mix? Just a heads up. What is presented on a website is not always what you will see in a physical visit. I've learned this myself from experience. If there is ANYTHING that makes you question, go with your gut. My experience was with a breeder here in Ontario, Canada, but I was given some excellent advice from someone on here. If you were ever needing to board your dog, would you feel comfortable doing so with the breeder? If you answer NO for any reason, then walk away from getting your puppy from her. I followed my gut, said no to a puppy, and was very fortunate to find an amazing breeder. After almost a years wait, Guinness comes home next week!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You mentioned he is 3/4 euro. What is the other 1/4? Are they a mix? Just a heads up. What is presented on a website is not always what you will see in a physical visit. I've learned this myself from experience. If there is ANYTHING that makes you question, go with your gut. My experience was with a breeder here in Ontario, Canada, but I was given some excellent advice from someone on here. If you were ever needing to board your dog, would you feel comfortable doing so with the breeder? If you answer NO for any reason, then walk away from getting your puppy from her. I followed my gut, said no to a puppy, and was very fortunate to find an amazing breeder. After almost a years wait, Guinness comes home next week!
The Father is 100% Euro, the Mother is 1/4 Euro and 3/4 American bloodline boxer. From what I am told, this makes the puppies 3/4 Euro Boxer. No mix here. They are beautiful. Also, the father came from a history of champion bloodlines which can be seen here. Allen's Iron Crown Gladiator

Here are the male and female, and the pup we want.

·
Registered
353 Posts
So I just looked at the site. They breed 4 different types of dogs, they keep them in a separate area so they are NOT raised with the family. The site mentions nothing about health testing. It's your decision, but personally, I would be very leery. Our Whelping House (inside and out shown above) has air conditioning that can accommodate up to Six Females and their pups, before, during and after the Pups are born. Sorry, this is an instant turn off for me!! Sounds way too much like a glorified puppy mill.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
I would suggest before you make your trip to look at Home
Kari is on this forum and is a respected breeder on here. Look at her home page and read what she tests for and about imported dogs. She is in Canada and imports from Europe. Then click on "Our dogs" and each dog she has listed their test results.
This will give you a good idea of what you want when you go visit your puppy and you will have something to compare. Good luck on your visit a

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
A "Lifetime Guarantee" against that strikes me as a bit far fetched?? And to have that many "Dissimilar" breeds???

No one is trying to rain on your parade and if you get a puppy from them, most likely you'll be happy and the puppy will be fine. :)

But ... facts are facts and despite the appearance of a lot of "Buzz Words" ... they used to many and have to many breeds.

I happened to notice that also do German Shepherds??? "Straight Back" Large Boned and 130 lbs??? Aw no, they are not "Breeders" they are pet people or a puppy mill???

German Shepherds are not 130 lb dogs?? So are over sized I have one and he's 116, and 90 to 105 although still OS are not uncommon a real breeder of GSD would say are GSD's tend to run large. If there GSD are indeed 130 lbs?? Then they are breeding "King Shepherds" and lying about what they are. That speaks to "credibility" ... so much for the "Lifetime Warranty" I would say??

No one is trying to get "All Up In Your Grill" and stuff but if your going to the trouble and expensive of getting a "Boxer Pup" from a "Real Breeder" then ... that is what you get.

Take a look at "Kaco's" site ... things like that are what I would look for and if you don't want to ship Canada is to far to drive?? There are Quality Real Breeders in the US also.

Not taking sides but I know "a snow job" when I see it. Welcome aboard in anycase. :)

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Glad you made the trip, I have relatives that live not so far away from there and I asked about them but they never heard of them. I think your making a good decision, I didn't like that the dogs are not part of the family but rather live in kennels and thats where they give birth and puppies are kept. Also with so many dogs how are these puppies getting socialization. I think they need to be in a home . I think this is just someone breeding dogs for profit. You will find the right breeder.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
If your going with a quality breeder prepare to wait months, if not up to a year or more. many high quality breeders have a long wait list.. look for health tested parents.. health guaranteed and health tested two different things, I think some of your not so great breeders try to confuse buyers of the two.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Aww man kinda sorry .. we don't really want to be the "Bad News" bears. :(

If you'd have just say we got our "Boxer" off of "Cragislist" BYB that is one thing. But to to be actually looking for a "Proper Breeder" and being screwed over by a crap site with lots of buzzwords ... that's a bit to much!

The quarter "Euro" or whatever it is ... is not that big a deal there would be reasons for doing that. The American Boxers with there there longer muzzles have a much higher threshold for high temperatures??? Nothing I was aware of ... just something I've observed!

If I were a "Breeder" the longer muzzle, higher heat tolerance of the "American Boxers" would be something I would exploite! But ... sadly I would be a fail as a "Breeder!"

I'd have a stamp that said ... "No Puppies for sale ever! No good business model. :p

But ... "Kaco" is in Canada and I know there is at least one member here that is in the US and they do post but I don't know who they are?? There are also quality breeders in the US and a lot of theme are on the East Coast?? But yet again I don't know they are???

Pretty much "Kaco" is here all the time and her "Girls" are just so cute ... they would always be my go to recommendation! Most likely the boys also but I like the girls! :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Glad you listened to your gut on this one! Believe me, I've been through it too and its the reason I spoke up. Don't worry, once you've done your research, visited some breeders, asked a ton of questions, you WILL find your baby! Well worth the wait! We are finally bringing our little guy home on Friday after waiting almost a year!! Once you find the right breeder, you won't mind the wait to get your healthy, happy pup!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Glad you listened to your gut on this one! Believe me, I've been through it too and its the reason I spoke up. Don't worry, once you've done your research, visited some breeders, asked a ton of questions, you WILL find your baby! Well worth the wait! We are finally bringing our little guy home on Friday after waiting almost a year!! Once you find the right breeder, you won't mind the wait to get your healthy, happy pup!

This place sucked, it was so bad that I, a grown man of 30 years old, cried when we left. Of course my wife fell in love with the puppy :(

She is in pediatrics, and has the biggest heart. She is shattered, because she wants to save him and give him a good home. That's the first puppy she's ever held and, well you know the story. I feel terrible for the whole situation and what's happening. But coming from my old boy having Lymphoma at the young age of 3, I know it is devastating to lose a pup that young. I can't imagine how it'd be if anything were to happen any younger.

But, I have tried my best to find all the info I could on BYB and things of the such to show her. She is so bummed, as am I. I have contacted 2 other breeders this morning, Emser Boxers in NC, who isn't planning a brindle litter anytime soon, and she in turn put me in contact with another lady out of Greensboro (who I am waiting on a reply from with all of the needed questions to have answered.)

I also googled and found this one in North Carolina. (I don't know anything about them)
Winn Creek Boxers | Graham, North Carolina

I would call them talk , make a visit to see their dogs and verify their health testing.

Sorry your 1st breeder fell short but there are others out there . Good luck on your search and keep us updated

I actually have looked at that site numerous times in the past months.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I also googled and found this one in North Carolina. (I don't know anything about them)
Winn Creek Boxers | Graham, North Carolina

I would call them talk , make a visit to see their dogs and verify their health testing.

Sorry your 1st breeder fell short but there are others out there . Good luck on your search and keep us updated
Checked this out on Google, and no reviews have been made. I decided to give it a look on google maps....looks like the same type of place we visited this past weekend (slummy looking area) Enough for me to not want to waste a 3.5 hr ride to check it out.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
This place sucked, it was so bad that I, a grown man of 30 years old, cried when we left. Of course my wife fell in love with the puppy :(
Aww man ... yeah ... there is that. No such thing as an ugly "Boxer" puppy. :)

When we got "Struddel" I wanted a Boy in particular the one standing on top of a pile of his Brothers and Sisters barking his head off! But all the boys were taken??

One of the puppies ... not sure where she came from climbed in lap and just sat, quitely and mom sat next to us. I remember thinking ...well this one is a little dynamo ... not! But I took her ... yeah ... apparently maybe quite little "Struddell" had been on top of the pile barking an hour early and was just taking a break??? No regrets however my next Boxer will be a female ... apparently the girls are a bit more challenging ie

The boys are kinda like "What can I do to make you happy and the girls are more like what can you do to make me happy??? Lack of focus perhaps?? But it's all good. :)

Sorry about the loss of your other at 3 years??? :cry:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts