Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read all about the different types of dog foods out there, but I am on a pretty tight budget.  I don't want to hurt my boxer in any way, but I am looking for anyone who can recommend a good food that won't bankrupt me.  If it helps I can tell you that what I am feeding him now is Beneful.  It took awhile to find something his stomach could tolerate, but now I am noticing some hair loss and he is very gassy.  Any help would be appreciated...I love my boy!!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Canidae is a good food, costs less than most premium, and even some commercial grade dog foods.  It is about $32 for a 40# bag. It should last one dog over a month.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
The Purina Sensitive is really good food, there are a few people on here that use it..I feed mine Chicken Soup..A 35lb bag is $32 at my small pet store..With 2 dogs, it lasts a month or more..What type of pet places do you have around you? Big chains, like Petsmart, or small independtly owned stores? Go in, see what the have, write them down and then use the dog food analysis to determine what would work...Keeping in mind, what works well for one dog, won't necessarily work for another

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
We do the Purina Pro Plan sensitive stomach and skin formula.
Get it at Petsmart or Petco for about $28/20lb bag.  It may be more where you are.  But it lasts about a month.  Good luck! :D

·
Registered
693 Posts
We also feed chicken soup. Dogs really like it and the price is reasonable. Gas issues are not really to bad at all except on the nights we feed them sardines. Thats paint peeling gas . =))

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
ProPlan Selects is what worked for Kiah's allergies, but it is not cheap here; $51.99 for a 33lb bag.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
we also feed chicken soup for the dog lovers soul....i would feed canidea if they sold it here but they dont...REALLy happy with chicken soup though

·
Registered
16 Posts
I too feed Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul.  It is $17.99 for 20# here (I'm in Kansas.)  I used to feed Nutro Ultra which is anywhere from 32-36 for 20 lbs.  I like the ingredient list in Chicken Soup MUCH better, and it's significantly less in cost as well, so it's a great setup for me and my dog.

Also for gas, the yogurt is an excellent suggestion.  In my dog's case though, it didn't work.  I have put him on probiotics (1 tsp on his kibble) and that solved the issue almost overnight.  Plus it's just plain good for him!  If you're having skin issues with him, try giving him a little salmon.  The oils in salmon are excellent for skin issues. It'll make his fur shine as well!

Best of luck finding something that works for your dog and your checkbook!

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
You could also try a tsp of canned pure pumpkin mixed in with the food for gas and to firm up stools. They love the taste and it works like a charm!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts