Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knows of a good sleeping remedy, Ive been dealing with severe insomnia for the past month and a half and it's really starting to catch up to me...I'm starting to look like I have a black mask :lol: ....I've been getting an average of about 4 hrs sleep per night if I'm lucky...for some reason my mind just stays active and I can't relax and stop thinking about things....I'm finding that running my business is becoming harder and harder everyday because of the lack of sleep....I'm not really into booze, or sleeping pills, so if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them and give them a try :)

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
watching some tv (no action something mellow) or reading a book helps my mind slow down, or even play a game of solitaire works sometimes lol.  have you tried sleepy time teas or chamomile tea? i never have personally but i know some people whom they work for.  also do you eat before going to sleep? try not to eat anything snacks included a few hours before bed it helps your body relax.  good luck though I battle this on and off myself.  and when it gets real bad there is always benadryl oh and for a while i was trying valerian root vitamins or whatever they are and those helped a bit too.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Im in the same boat as you, but it takes me a while to get to sleep, but sleep like a rock. I have tried many things, like Lavender bathes, not eating, no actions of ANY sort for a while before bed. They all just made me restless. What im using right now is a sleeping pill from Wallmart, called Meletonin. Usually only take about 2, helps me wind down, and within 2 hours im out.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I find that if I drink more than one glass of wine, I don't sleep well....bummer.... Also, don't exercise too close to bedtime, but exercise everyday before then.  Have you tried milk near bedtime?  It sometimes helps me.  Good luck.  Sometimes, I have trouble sleeping, too.  I'm a teacher, and I often wake up teaching in my sleep, LOL.  I need to get a life!!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AAWW thanks for all your suggestions guys, I'm trying some of them now....I'm now writing down the things I need to do tomorrow, I've made my self a big mug of chamomile tea....I usually never eat after 7pm for this exact reason of fear of having to much energy and not sleeping, and during the day I usually get some decent exercise for my long walks with Gaby...weather permitting of course....So I figure I will try all the non sleeping pill suggestions first for a few days and see what happens, but as much as I don't want to I may have to consider the Meletonin or the tylenol pm...
I can't really watch anything relaxing now because my sat is down :( , so I guess I'm gonna be spending the evening here with you guys :) ....

Oh and Georgiapeach, I can totally relate to you waking up teaching in your sleep....I do this to only I'm working on a graphic design or a price quote for a customer :lol:

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BoxerForums\";p=\"90618 said:
Do you drink coffee?
I haven't anymore ever since I've started having the sleeping problems...it's been about 2 months since my last cup...and the same with soft drinks or any other foods that have caffeine in them I totally stay away from...

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I had insomnia for a while a couple years ago.. the journal writing really worked for me.  I would write in it in bed every night before trying to sleep.  Like you i didn't want to rely on sleeping pills or "other" things to make me sleep.
Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
TinkerbelleNdMaddy\";p=\"90558 said:
Im in the same boat as you, but it takes me a while to get to sleep, but sleep like a rock. I have tried many things, like Lavender bathes, not eating, no actions of ANY sort for a while before bed. They all just made me restless. What im using right now is a sleeping pill from Wallmart, called Meletonin. Usually only take about 2, helps me wind down, and within 2 hours im out.
My pharmacist also suggested I take Melatonin.  I was having alot of troubles getting to sleep (and staying asleep).  He said that Melatonin is very safe to take!!  They work great!  Just like TinkerbelleNdMaddy stated, take 2 and you'll wind down for a good nights rest!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOVEMYBOSCO\";p=\"90626 said:
[quote="TinkerbelleNdMaddy\";p=\"90558":2kfhk7y2]Im in the same boat as you, but it takes me a while to get to sleep, but sleep like a rock. I have tried many things, like Lavender bathes, not eating, no actions of ANY sort for a while before bed. They all just made me restless. What im using right now is a sleeping pill from Wallmart, called Meletonin. Usually only take about 2, helps me wind down, and within 2 hours im out.
My pharmacist also suggested I take Melatonin.  I was having alot of troubles getting to sleep (and staying asleep).  He said that Melatonin is very safe to take!!  They work great!  Just like TinkerbelleNdMaddy stated, take 2 and you'll wind down for a good nights rest![/quote:2kfhk7y2]

I'm considering the Melatonin but the only thing is I really don't want to become dependent on them....

·
Registered
359 Posts
I actually take a drug called seoquel....but a VERY LOW DOSAGE...it is really for bi-polar disorder if you google it, but I have a VERY low dosage that just allows me to sleep...my mind also races when I try to go to bed, so the doctor gave me this as a sleeping aid because it is non habit forming...I AM NOT BI_POLAR lol....that is why the dosage is sooooo low.  My husband has started taking it and it works for him as well.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I have taken Melatonin before and I didn't have any problem with addiction.  I can usually tell after a little bit if it will be one of the sleepless nights so I only take it on those nights.  It only took a half an hour for me to go to sleep.  Since I got Kiah, I hardly ever have sleepless nights anymore because of all the fresh air and exercise we get.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I dont think Meletonin is habit forming, i defidently dont use them every night, just when i can tell its going to be a really hard time getting down. I think what would be good is trying every option, and seeing what works best for you. Good luck by the way!

·
Registered
23 Posts
GabysDaddy\";p=\"90634 said:
[quote="LOVEMYBOSCO\";p=\"90626":2h4izjx7][quote="TinkerbelleNdMaddy\";p=\"90558":2h4izjx7]Im in the same boat as you, but it takes me a while to get to sleep, but sleep like a rock. I have tried many things, like Lavender bathes, not eating, no actions of ANY sort for a while before bed. They all just made me restless. What im using right now is a sleeping pill from Wallmart, called Meletonin. Usually only take about 2, helps me wind down, and within 2 hours im out.
My pharmacist also suggested I take Melatonin.

G

·
0 Posts
Melatonin is a natural neurotransmitter that your brain produces...so it shouldn't be habit forming at all...it works for my aunt very well

1 - 20 of 27 Posts