Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ABBEY DID SOMETHING TONIGHT THAT I HAVE TO SHARE. IM A BAD MOMMY, I SOMETIMES GIVE HER TIDBITS OF TABLE FOOD, BUT ONLY IF SHE SITS LIKE A GOOD GIRL. WELL I WAS EATING A PIECE OF LEFT OVER PIZZA AND DIPPING IT IN GARLIC BUTTER THAT CAME WITH IT AND I WAS DOWN TO THE CRUST. I OFFERED ABBEY A PIECE OF PLAIN CRUST AND SHE SNIFFED IT, SNIFFED MY HAND AND WOULDNT TAKE IT. I DIPPED IT IN GARLIC BUTTER AND WAS FIXEN TO POP IT IN MY MOUTH AND SHE STOOD UP, EXCITED. SHE TOOK IT THEN. SHE WANTED THE GARLIC BUTTER TOO. SHE HAD BEEN WATCHING ME DIP MINE AND KNEW WHAT THE GOOD STUFF WAS. ANYBODY ELSE FEEDING TABLE FOOD? TELL ME IM NOT ALONE.

G

·
0 Posts
we do not...Mike tried to give them MILK once...that had had cereal in it...I FREAKED out...lol...don't want to risk upset tummies!

Your dog sounds very smart....to connect the garlic to the crust, etc

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I wouldnt say i give table food...i give pb sandwhiches from time to time as snacks in addition to the plain hb meat, plain chicken breasts, rice, eggs, cheese, trukey dogs, and other various fruits and veggies that are used as snacks or treats that are good for them

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Lol thats funny!!! Papa Johns pizza???? If so that is my favorite. I have never fed Chance off the table but he steals alot from the table.....grrrrrrrrrr. Our Lab has always gotten bits from us when Chance isnt looking. Chance just has a sensitive belly and he will get the runs if he gets anything other than his kibble

·
Registered
648 Posts
LOL i never give food from the table.. Yes I am a mean daddy...However, I love when my wife and I are eating and she circles around with her nose in the air smelling! But I do give her carrots from time to time...and kongs of course with banana and pb

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Nope no table food here! Papa Johns? Sounds good... that's sooo sweet that she put the two together... she must have been watching you intently!! LOL

Now we found a chewed up paper plate on the floor of the kitchen which previously had some Hungry Howie's pizza on it... hmmm I'm sure Sarah didn't do that! LOL Though we don't have many instances where that kind of thing happens... maybe 3 out of the year that we've had him.

I had to get after the neighbors kids for feeding Odin table scraps... they do it with their dogs... like EVERYTHING...  from whole slices of pizza to chocolate chip cookies... crazy!!

We do give Nikki some little tidbits here and there but she's 12 years old and has been eating more than just her dog food since she was a pup... it's pretty rare though and only when Odin's not looking! LOL

·
Registered
880 Posts
I try not give them any table food, but Dylan has and it makes me furious because they are becoming total beggars.

·
Registered
172 Posts
JettaAndOscar\";p=\"92661 said:
I try not give them any table food, but Dylan has and it makes me furious because they are becoming total beggars.
I see nothing wrong with giving table scraps, but if you don't want beggars don't feed them while you're at the table.  Wait and put some leftovers in their bowl after you're done eating.  We were absolutely rigid about not feeding FROM the table with our last dog and she never, ever bugged us by begging for food while we ate.

AnnA

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Ok, I have to say, we do give table scraps :) I actually had a very hard rule that I wouldn't feed while sitting at the table, worked great for years, until Marq  :lol: He started feeding Samson while still at the table and it spiralled down from there..When we brought Angel home, actually before that, started to try and break Samson of that habit..Did well for a bit, but started backsliding... 8O So, now, they get a few things, a piece of steak, a bit of chicken, french fries, but we also try to wait and just put it in their bowls

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I will feed some stuff but never from the table.  I move away from the table make them so something before they get it - like a sit, or a paw.   Or I will also feed in their bowls.   Nothing from the table because they would NEVER leave you alone!!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Duke loves crunchy chicken from Taco Johns.  He doesn't get any if he is begging but once he sits nice then he will get a piece.  Sometimes hes not very patient though, we were eating pizza last week and he walked up to me (I was sititng on the couch) and licked my pizza, some balls he has....I was holding the plate and had my piece of pizza in my hand.  It was hard for me to get after him since everyone was laughing but after he did it he knew he was in trouble.  Naughty little boy  :roll:

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
We fed table scraps to our old dog, but both agreed that it will be a no-no for Tango.  We are trying to feed him stuff like all natural foods and treats, although he gets PB in his Kong!  We'll see if that lasts ... I HATE looking into those puppy eyes, even though I know it's all a con!!

G

·
0 Posts
I don't feed Binga from the table.  I didn't want her to beg, but Damon (husband) puts some stuff in her bowl.  Pieces of meat and stuff.  She is actually pretty picky about what she eats.  I dropped some macaroni noodles and wanted to see if she would eat them.  Nope.... sniffed and went on her way.

She will however when we eat kinda sniff the air...   kinda what Britney does   :)

Bear on the other hand...   hes a little pig.  Since he is a baby all he gets is puppy food right now.  

I DO put some PB in Kongs for them.  That was the BEST purchase yet.

·
Registered
381 Posts
LOL regarding the garlic butter.  I'm sure that stuff smelled really yummy compared to plain crust!

I feed some "table scraps" but like some of the others I don't typically do it from the table (I don't want the dogs begging while I'm eating).  But there's lots of human food that is high quality and good for dogs.  Just don't make the mistake of trimming all the fat off your steak and giving that to the dog as the fat content is too high (have to give some of the good meaty part too!!).  Dogs can get pancreas problems if they get too much fat (that applies to fried foods too  :p ).

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Jessie - Isnt it funny because growing up you always too your fat home to feed your dogs if you were out to eat - ha ha ha.  Now I am like NOOOOO way!!  Table scraps for us are most likely left over fresh steamed veggies, some burger (rinsed off with hot water to remove fat) turkey, beef tips (no cooked) etc.

However Friday they do get pizza crusts.  Friday is fun day!!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Hmm...kinda confused as to why a bunch of you won't feed from the table.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Chloe and Brodi both get table scraps. She just sits there all quiet with her head resting on daddy's leg looking up at him with those sad eyes. Brodi is already doing the same exact thing but he has to rest his head on the bottom part of the chair cause he's still too short and his head won't reach my leg. It's funny tho at dinner time cause both of the will go to their spots and not move til we are all done. Brodi never tries to get food from daddy and vice versa with Chloe and me, unless daddy isn't home then I got both of them.. one on each side.

·
Banned
2,813 Posts
Smart dog, wanting the yummy garlic butter!!  We feed Paco some table food but not actually at the table because we'd never eat in peace again if we started that.  :)  I give him bites of fruit, little bits of meat, peanuts, but he doesn't care for veggies. My husband lets him lick the Yoplait container when he's done with his yogurt every day, it's thier little ritual. Paco starts drooling and making face bubbles every time he sees a yogurt come from the fridge. It's cute.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
It depends on what the table scraps are if Kiah gets them or not, I have given her pizza crust but only in her bowl.  If I am cooking I will give her some fresh veggies or fruit but she has to sit first.  Never feed her from the table but do if I am sitting on the couch (bad momma) but she sits nicely waiting for it  :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts