Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that’s old for a Boxer but I’m sad we didn’t get another year or 2 with him. And even though I know deep down we did the right thing it still bothers me because we never knew for sure what was wrong. They said we could do and MRI but he was buckling his front paws and falling over...he would yelp when we you touched his head or neck a certain way. He was trembling on and off and he withdrew from us the last week. No pain meds we’re working. Steroids seemed to help him relax more and not pace in circles but that was it. They suspected a brain tumor or his spine (X-rays last year showed it was infused). But I wish we knew but I didn’t want to put him through anymore suffering nor spend the money just to find out what was already inevitable. But I just keep thinking....what if it was something that could have been fixed with a different med or surgery and we didn’t try it. Last year he has issues with trembling and pain and pain meds and an antibiotic worked....he never withdrew from us though. This time nothing worked and he wouldn’t come near us when we called him. He was still eating though although had trouble....the vet said though that sometimes a brain tumor makes them eat more. When we got him into the emergency he just sort of collapsed on the floor (still conscious). Kind of like he know he could finally show he was sick....and they took him on a stretcher but the dr said once he got back to a room he tried to run away but then collapsed again. It just seemed all weekend he would seem a little better and then really bad again. It’s hard to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Sorry, for your loss and that is a hard way to loose your guy. And it's hard to believe right now, but a time will come when the come memories will replace the bad. Take Care and Welcome Aboard, sorry it's under these circumstances.:(

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. I've read your previous posts and really you did all you could do for your boy. I feel you did right by him. Hold his memory and feel good that your gave him a good life for 10 1/2 years. That is amazing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss! My sweet Nina girl also passed away on 08/21/18. She just turned 9 in June. It's devastating and heartbreaking. Sending you so much love!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know that’s old for a Boxer but I’m sad we didn’t get another year or 2 with him. And even though I know deep down we did the right thing it still bothers me because we never knew for sure what was wrong. They said we could do and MRI but he was buckling his front paws and falling over...he would yelp when we you touched his head or neck a certain way. He was trembling on and off and he withdrew from us the last week. No pain meds we’re working. Steroids seemed to help him relax more and not pace in circles but that was it. They suspected a brain tumor or his spine (X-rays last year showed it was infused). But I wish we knew but I didn’t want to put him through anymore suffering nor spend the money just to find out what was already inevitable. But I just keep thinking....what if it was something that could have been fixed with a different med or surgery and we didn’t try it. Last year he has issues with trembling and pain and pain meds and an antibiotic worked....he never withdrew from us though. This time nothing worked and he wouldn’t come near us when we called him. He was still eating though although had trouble....the vet said though that sometimes a brain tumor makes them eat more. When we got him into the emergency he just sort of collapsed on the floor (still conscious). Kind of like he know he could finally show he was sick....and they took him on a stretcher but the dr said once he got back to a room he tried to run away but then collapsed again. It just seemed all weekend he would seem a little better and then really bad again. It’s hard to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So sorry for your loss. We went through something similar the past three weeks, and had to put our little girl Emma down last night. She was 11 yrs 3 months old. While walking three weeks ago, she started shaking and her back legs collapsed. I carried my 71lb baby home 4 blocks. gums were kind of pale, so we took her to the vet. She had anemia, with a red cell count of 22 with 35-40 being the norm with . The vet suspected addisons disease, and tested but it came back negative. We then put her on prednisone, (which isn't a very kind drug) and waited and hoped it would stimulate her bone marrow to make red blood cells. Of course her level dropped to 10.2, so that was not helping. The next move would have been a blood transfusion, which the vet said she didn't recommend because she wansn't making her own, and there is a good chance for a bad reaction. It would have also only lasted a few days.We decided to put her down instead of putting her through a bunch of testing to find out that she probably had cancer causing the anemia.
I am like you now though. Thinking maybe we could have done more, and would have liked to have known what was actually causing all of this.We would have loved one more Christmas with her, as she loved to get presents. It was also very painful watching her, because she was breathing hard, and had a hard time just walking outside to go to the bathroom without collapsing. With low red blood cells, the proper amount of oxygen is not being carried in the blood, so that just completely zapped all of the energy out of her. I really feel your loss and what you are going through. Today my wife and I are devastated without her, and just don't know how we will get through this. My kids are in their 20's and have moved out, so our day really revolved around Emma.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I am very sorry for your loss. 11 years 3 months is a wonderful amount of time to have your boxer with you making memories. You were very fortunate to have Emma so long. Unfortunately we just don't see it very often. I feel you did right by your girl, you did not allow her to suffer. Run free sweet Emma!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Boxer falling down

Rapid Turtles description sounds like a classic case of Degenerative Myeleopathy, This is a inherited defect from the parents in which the nerves going to the rear legs first degenerate and no longer pass the brains messages to the rear legs, so they crumble and fall down. This is an older common boxer problem that eventually attacks the front legs also. My bitch did okay with a walker on her rear legs for a while until her front legs loss control and she couldn't even get up on her frontlegs anymore and I had to put her to sleep at age 13.5 years. I had her blood drawn right before I put her to sleep and that blood was sent to the Broad Institute where they eventually developed a swab test to detect whether a dog is clear, carrier or at risk. One of her daughters was At Risk also and only made it to 11 years before she went to the bridge, but in her case we had a necropsy done to remove tissue samples from around her body to send to the Univ. of Missouri that now handles this DM test for the OFA and are working on a gene therapy to treat future cases. This disease is very similar to ALS or Lou Gehrigs Disease so hopefully whatever gene therapy they create for dogs will also treat this disease in humans.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts