Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I’m new to this forum, but I needed to find people to talk to that would understand what I’m going through. Yesterday my husband and I made the tough decision to put our sweet Maggie to sleep. She had been severely sick for a month and she was suffering. They offered to do more tests because they were at a loss for what could have been wrong with her. But it would have only prolonged her suffering. We didn’t want that. We don’t second guess our choice but I am absolutely devastated. She was only three years old. She was my everything. I can’t get myself to leave my bed. I start to cry the moment I see traces of her. Please someone tell me the pain will get better please tell me what helped you cope with the loss. Maggie had a friend too. Our husky, Kona. Kona is sad and I see it. Whenever she goes outside to go potty she waits for Maggie to come. This is so hard. Hubby and I swore no more dogs after this. But now all I want and all I’m doing is searching for boxers. I know I’ll never convince him ... I just want this pain to go away.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Awe I am so sorry for your loss, I can't imagine. This is my biggest fear. I was never an animal person at all and I fought the idea of getting a dog for years. In come Gypsy into my life. A sweet loveable deaf boxer. It took a year for me to adjust to Gypsy and I had a really hard time with her. I didn't even realize how much I loved her until I watched the movie Marley and Me. I was done for ( first movie I ever cried too, everyone said I was heartless cuz I don't cry to movies) now we are inseparable. My heart goes out to you big time.
I've never lost a pet but I have lost many many loved ones and all I can say is that when people say "it takes time" or " one day you'll move on" that's a Lie...you learn to live with it, you never move on. Take the time you need to adjust and feel your feels before you deside to get another because you can never replace a family member ( and they are family)
Best of luck 💞

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm so sorry for you loss. We lost our Mac when he was only two. We also have no idea what was wrong or what happened and we had to make the same decision as you. I think the shock because he was so young made it even harder to reconcile it all happening. We lost our older boy Satchel this past September at the age of 10 after a long illness. For us time has helped to ease the pain. I hope this for you too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awe I am so sorry for your loss, I can't imagine. This is my biggest fear. I was never an animal person at all and I fought the idea of getting a dog for years. In come Gypsy into my life. A sweet loveable deaf boxer. It took a year for me to adjust to Gypsy and I had a really hard time with her. I didn't even realize how much I loved her until I watched the movie Marley and Me. I was done for ( first movie I ever cried too, everyone said I was heartless cuz I don't cry to movies) now we are inseparable. My heart goes out to you big time.
I've never lost a pet but I have lost many many loved ones and all I can say is that when people say "it takes time" or " one day you'll move on" that's a Lie...you learn to live with it, you never move on. Take the time you need to adjust and feel your feels before you deside to get another because you can never replace a family member ( and they are family)
Best of luck 💞
Thank you so much for your kind words. 💜💜

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm so sorry for you loss. We lost our Mac when he was only two. We also have no idea what was wrong or what happened and we had to make the same decision as you. I think the shock because he was so young made it even harder to reconcile it all happening. We lost our older boy Satchel this past September at the age of 10 after a long illness. For us time has helped to ease the pain. I hope this for you too.
I agree. That’s what I think makes this so hard too. Seeing she was way too young. Thank you so much for your words. ♥

·
Registered
788 Posts
I lost my boy Jaxson at almost 3 years old due to DCM and he was in proceeded in death by my 7 year old female also to DCM so I lost both of my precious dogs within six months of each other. There is no "getting over" this. This pain is made worse by the fact that I was feeding grain free dog food and I probably caused their deaths because I didn't know at the time the link between the food and the DCM. My poor boy was such a happy dog and he had a really good time in life but he never even got a chance my girl Koko was one of the best dogs I have ever had she was gone too soon as well. Like I said you never "get over" it you just have to learn to live with it. I did get two more Boxers because I need these dogs in my life they are not replacements and are not the same as the ones I lost but I love them so much and they add to my life and life is about going on as hard as it is sometimes learn from your mistakes love your dogs everyday and tell them how much you love them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This makes me so sad to hear. I've not heard of grain free food causing issues? I need to look that up. That's all I've ever fed my dogs because I thought that's what's best for their stomachs? I'm sorry to hear about your babies. It looks like two new ones are giving you light to life again. I miss my Maggie so much. I'm trying hard to help my dog grieve. She misses her too.

I lost my boy Jaxson at almost 3 years old due to DCM and he was in proceeded in death by my 7 year old female also to DCM so I lost both of my precious dogs within six months of each other. There is no "getting over" this. This pain is made worse by the fact that I was feeding grain free dog food and I probably caused their deaths because I didn't know at the time the link between the food and the DCM. My poor boy was such a happy dog and he had a really good time in life but he never even got a chance my girl Koko was one of the best dogs I have ever had she was gone too soon as well. Like I said you never "get over" it you just have to learn to live with it. I did get two more Boxers because I need these dogs in my life they are not replacements and are not the same as the ones I lost but I love them so much and they add to my life and life is about going on as hard as it is sometimes learn from your mistakes love your dogs everyday and tell them how much you love them.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
I am sorry for your loss. Sadly many of us have all been there. We lost out boy (@ 5 1/2) this past spring and still we tear up just looking at his photos or at the mention of his name. Although he was actually my daughters dog (adult living at home) he was my heart. I can't seem to bring another into my home, at least not yet. I see a boxer, I cry for what I lost. I pet sit a boxer and I remember what I lost. Unfortunately I am getting older and unsure I want to put the time in to train, though my daughter would always be there for him but the time isn't right. Boxers leave a paw print on your heart that doesn't go away.

·
Registered
340 Posts
If your young try again don't expect more than 10 to 12 years, any more will be a gift. do your home work on lineage and health. You will away have your Maggie in your heart. Be it for a nano second or a full reminiscent she will be always with you. There is no other dog that could compare to a Boxer ever. There is that mental conjoined and a "heart" between you that last forever You are young open your heat and home to another spirit, to be with you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi guys I’m new to this forum, but I needed to find people to talk to that would understand what I’m going through. Yesterday my husband and I made the tough decision to put our sweet Maggie to sleep. She had been severely sick for a month and she was suffering. They offered to do more tests because they were at a loss for what could have been wrong with her. But it would have only prolonged her suffering. We didn’t want that. We don’t second guess our choice but I am absolutely devastated. She was only three years old. She was my everything. I can’t get myself to leave my bed. I start to cry the moment I see traces of her. Please someone tell me the pain will get better please tell me what helped you cope with the loss. Maggie had a friend too. Our husky, Kona. Kona is sad and I see it. Whenever she goes outside to go potty she waits for Maggie to come. This is so hard. Hubby and I swore no more dogs after this. But now all I want and all I’m doing is searching for boxers. I know I’ll never convince him ... I just want this pain to go away. View attachment 136216
So sorry for your loss. I had to make that decision with my 10 yr old female Sadie. Was so hard to make that decision but she was suffering with cancer and had become lame. I adopted a 1.5 yr old from a family that had to give her up. Anna has been such a sweet girl and is now 8. There are so many on the Boxer adoption sites that are eager to help you thru your loss in their own special way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi guys I’m new to this forum, but I needed to find people to talk to that would understand what I’m going through. Yesterday my husband and I made the tough decision to put our sweet Maggie to sleep. She had been severely sick for a month and she was suffering. They offered to do more tests because they were at a loss for what could have been wrong with her. But it would have only prolonged her suffering. We didn’t want that. We don’t second guess our choice but I am absolutely devastated. She was only three years old. She was my everything. I can’t get myself to leave my bed. I start to cry the moment I see traces of her. Please someone tell me the pain will get better please tell me what helped you cope with the loss. Maggie had a friend too. Our husky, Kona. Kona is sad and I see it. Whenever she goes outside to go potty she waits for Maggie to come. This is so hard. Hubby and I swore no more dogs after this. But now all I want and all I’m doing is searching for boxers. I know I’ll never convince him ... I just want this pain to go away. View attachment 136216
In over 40 years of raising & breeding boxers, we've had to klet many of them go across that bridge. It's never easy. In all but one instance, we've always had at least one other boxer to comfort us until we bred another. They leave a hole in your heart that only another boxer can, in time, fill. When you are ready, God will lead you to another pup.
Dave Smola
Ronin Boxers
[email protected]

·
Registered
12 Posts
I lost my guy last year after 10 years and still get a tear in my eye thinking of him. Here's a poem that really touched me.

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this — the last battle — can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close — we two — these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This makes me so sad to hear. I've not heard of grain free food causing issues? I need to look that up. That's all I've ever fed my dogs because I thought that's what's best for their stomachs? I'm sorry to hear about your babies. It looks like two new ones are giving you light to life again. I miss my Maggie so much. I'm trying hard to help my dog grieve. She misses her too.
That’s a misconception. It is not the lack of grain in food that causes DCM. (A wild dog would never be eating processed grain.) There is a “possible“ link to the binders manufacturers use instead of grain, like potatoes, lentils and so on. I have fed grain free for 18 years and aside from my own dogs, I have fostered a dozen or more. I have never had a problem with grain free, and as long as you use a trustworthy dog food company, you won’t have any worries and you won’t have a dog with a belly full of cereal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your Maggie is so beautiful!
y
your Maggie is so beautiful! My heart goes out to you! 😢 I lost my grand puppy Henry six months ago. He was only 4 years old and had a genetic kidney disease. We “babysat” him everyday while our son worked. I still miss him immensely! I wrote a short story about him and all his little antics. When I couldn’t sleep at night I would get up, sit at the computer and write. Some nights I’d have to stop cuz I would just start crying. However it did bring me comfort. I wanted to remember every little thing about him, from his favorite toy to his favorite food. I have lost other dogs in the past but this one really took a big piece of my heart. May your wonderful memories help you through this very difficult time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Maggie's Mom,
I'm so sorry to hear about Maggie.... I think if you scroll down Rainbow bridge and look at the posts you will see some familiar names. Like you, I followed a trail of tears to this forum. You wondered if you could find people who would understand where you are coming from, well I can tell you that this is the place. Folks here know how special Boxers are and how devastating it is when we lose our "soulmates". We lost Diesel in March of 2019 at a young age to cancer, I can tell you unfortunately that nothing is going to make thing make this hurt go away. I don't remember when that lump in my throat and those tears started to subside, seems like forever, but eventually after alot of self therapy and chatting with the wonderful people on this site, it has gotten more manageable. Just recently, we have a deposit down on a new Boxer pup and we can't wait! I think like someone else mentioned you will know when the time is right.
Scotlynrhys-has some great advice, I made a word document with lots of pictures and memories of all the funny special things Diesel used to do. It's hard but now I read through it and I'm glad I did it. (I went a little overboard and got a portrait tattoo that I love (it's on the rainbow bridge section too) Lastly we have a spot in our front yard called "Potty Rock" and he used to sit by that rock for hours. We ordered a plaque from Laserengravedmemories.com and mounted it to the rock, alot of people walking by comment on it and a few have left flowers.
Hang in there, I know you are overwhelmed but just try your best and know that Maggie will be waiting for you on the other side of the bridge.
Take care,
Rick
012.JPG
memorial rock.jpg

·
Registered
788 Posts
That's a beautiful memorial for Diesel and love that picture of him by the rock. One of my friends gave me a nice engraved rock for a memorial to my young dog that I lost to DCM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys I’m new to this forum, but I needed to find people to talk to that would understand what I’m going through. Yesterday my husband and I made the tough decision to put our sweet Maggie to sleep. She had been severely sick for a month and she was suffering. They offered to do more tests because they were at a loss for what could have been wrong with her. But it would have only prolonged her suffering. We didn’t want that. We don’t second guess our choice but I am absolutely devastated. She was only three years old. She was my everything. I can’t get myself to leave my bed. I start to cry the moment I see traces of her. Please someone tell me the pain will get better please tell me what helped you cope with the loss. Maggie had a friend too. Our husky, Kona. Kona is sad and I see it. Whenever she goes outside to go potty she waits for Maggie to come. This is so hard. Hubby and I swore no more dogs after this. But now all I want and all I’m doing is searching for boxers. I know I’ll never convince him ... I just want this pain to go away. View attachment 136216 o
Casper is ready for a Loving Home on December 19th [email protected]
He's my dog's newest little brother. And hos other little brother is sold in reserve. I know I will cry like a baby when Kronos goes...😢
received_135400068006604.jpeg
received_585152392294913.jpeg

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello! I am new to this forum and came for the same reason. I wish I would've known about this forum before making my decision, but I am currently trying to stop the "could've, should've" in my head. It has been a month since my Baxter crossed the rainbow bridge. He just turned 3 at the end of October. :( Shortly after getting neutered he began developing severe allergies - food and environmental. 19 items to be exact. It would then result in secondary skin infections. The vet hospital had never seen anything like it so we did baths, antibiotics, you name it. We saw the dermatologist that called him "her mystery child", his regular vet gave him cytopoint injections. I did allergy shots for a year and bought everything I could find on amazon & whatever I saw on facebook ads. He couldn't have dog treats. Only a hydrolized protein dry dog food and his treat that he loved was ice. Once they told me to keep him inside unless I wanted him to keep getting infections and paying them $ - I kept him in. For 4 months. Nothing changed. So... once we were stuck in the house for a month due to Covid, I decided he needed to be a dog. I took him on walks again. Played outside. Swimming. If he was going to be miserable, I wanted him to be a regular dog doing regular things and being happy. The infection was covering half of his body, his ears, all over. He also started getting growths on his tail. He basically went downhill since April so after being stuck in the house with him and watching him stressed and not sleeping at night, I made the decision that I couldn't let him suffer anymore and it was time - he was tired of getting poked and messed with and terrified of the baths, they hurt him. It's so hard because he was so young (the youngest boxer out of 3 that I have had - (#1 Buster was 7 and had to put down due to lymph cancer. #2 Max was 4 and lost him to digestive and stomach cancer). I would say that this dog was the hardest I have ever had to handle. I think it's a mix of how young he was, how I am stuck in the house and forced to remember that he is not here, and that I wasn't able to figure out what would help him get even a little bit better. I never saw an improvement in 2 years of trying. He also was a present from Santa for my 3 daughters (mostly for me!) and with xmas coming... it's more reminders. Anyway, I am telling you my story so you know that you are NOT alone. I am definitely suffering in my heart and my head over my little buddy. It's depressing... Especially under that circumstances of 2020. I am sorry for your loss :( xoxo

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi guys I’m new to this forum, but I needed to find people to talk to that would understand what I’m going through. Yesterday my husband and I made the tough decision to put our sweet Maggie to sleep. She had been severely sick for a month and she was suffering. They offered to do more tests because they were at a loss for what could have been wrong with her. But it would have only prolonged her suffering. We didn’t want that. We don’t second guess our choice but I am absolutely devastated. She was only three years old. She was my everything. I can’t get myself to leave my bed. I start to cry the moment I see traces of her. Please someone tell me the pain will get better please tell me what helped you cope with the loss. Maggie had a friend too. Our husky, Kona. Kona is sad and I see it. Whenever she goes outside to go potty she waits for Maggie to come. This is so hard. Hubby and I swore no more dogs after this. But now all I want and all I’m doing is searching for boxers. I know I’ll never convince him ... I just want this pain to go away.
Sorry for your loss. Unfortunately I have had to put down more pups them the average dog owner.
For more then a few years we took/take in some rescue boxer that otherwise wouldn't have been adopted.
With that typically come health problems and such which leads to a shorter time with my family.
It's very tough but wouldn't change it.
So to your main question.. does it go away? No it doesn't but it does "change". Give yourself time to grieve it's part of the process. In time the hurt you feel will give way to the happier memory you have with her. For your other pup, Make sure you are doing a few extra thing with her. Maybe a few extra walks , a few more hugs, it will help both of you.
Feel free to DM me if need someone to vent or just someone to listen.
It does get better.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts