Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boxer benson has gooey eyes every morning there seems to be quite a lot of it and his eyes (the lower lid) seems to be drooping, i have seen this in a lot of boxers but i was wondering what it is and if there is a way of stopping or helping it. Also would eye drops help get rid of the gunk? I dont mind clearing it up in the mmorning but im afraid it is uncomfortable for him and may be a sign of a worse problem....

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
my baby had quite a bit of "goop" in her eyes a little while ago and it had a green tinge to it. The vet gave us some antibiotic/steriod drops because she had an
infection from something getting in her eye. It was gone in a few days.

In regards to what sharon said...make sure you only use it for a few days if you do get visine as if you use it any more it can actually make the eyes worse and dry them out even more because it actually contains an antihistamine. Any pharmacist I've ever worked with doesn't recommend any Visine products for humans and if they do it is only for 3-4 days at a time.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Angel has problems with the eye goobers, hers are clear, so I really don't worry, until last week when it got really bad and then the runny nose started....Infection....Allergies are common in Boxers, it very well could be that, but if it seems excessive, a trip to the vet is always a good idea

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for all your help i think i will have it checked out as there seems to be quite a lot and its light green which im sure isnt good!  :?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Yea, anytime you see green, that means infection of some sort, so I would take Benson in..Better to be safe :)

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Yep....if it is getting green then it may be infection....but here is a bit on eye infections..... I had typed this for someone else a little while back that was having some eye issues.  It may help you determine better......

Is it Conjunctivitis-Eye infection......ya know getting pink eye......

So here is everything I can think of......Conjunctivitis is an inflammation or infection of the conjunctiva...This is the tissue lining the eyelids and attaching to the eyeball near the cornea.

The conjunctiva can become irritated due to allergies induced by pollens, grasses, etc., or from infections caused by viruses, bacteria, or fungi.

If the white portion of the eyeball is also inflamed.......this condition is then referred to as 'pink eye.'

What are the symptoms?

The symptoms of conjunctivitis vary depending on the cause, but tpically, both allergies and infections cause a severe redness or 'meaty' appearance of the conjunctiva. Either allergies or infections cause the eye to discharge or 'weep.'

The important thing here is the consistency of the discharge, this tend to  determine its cause.

Usually with infections caused by bacteria, fungi, etc., create a thick yellow or greenish eye discharge. The eyelids may actually stick together when held shut.

Allergies, on the other hand, generally cause a clear or watery discharge.

Regardless of the cause, a dog with true conjunctivitis will often squint and/or keep the third eyelid partially covering the eyeball. Conjunctivitis is usually painful and they will paw at or rub the eye against objects such as your leg or the carpet or just with their foot.

If you think it is infection then you need some eye meds from the vet.....If you think allergy then try the visine for a few days and it should help...........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts