Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boxers are known to have issues with their hind legs correct?  I've noticed lately that when my bf is playing with Lola he'll grab her hind legs a lot to pull her towards him.  Or if she's getting into something he'll grab them to pull her away.  Then the other night while at a friends house he grabbed her hind legs to pull her away from their dog who was getting annoyed with Lola's hyperness!  What he's doing is bad right?  Could this cause damage in years to come if he continues?  I yelled at him at our friends house and told him that he could hurt her legs, he looked at me like I was crazy.  Should I hit him over the head with a frying pan next time and knock some sense into him!?!  I guess what I'm in need of is facts that this is bad and can hurt her!
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Can't really recommend the frying pan action lol.  But I would think there is a better way to correct her than pulling her legs out from under her.  I wouldn't like that one bit - I'd put a leash on her for corrections or better still, put it on your bf!!! Tell him to knock it off!!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm sure everyone does this, but we have  voice for Lexie that is all happy and she knows if we are in a good mood and happy and playful we will call her ( OAF ) and she listens to it and plays with us, but if we aren't using that voice and we say Lexie she know's to stop whatever she was doing. We have done that with all of our boxers and it seems to work.

Chase

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Alicia....Tell the BF not to grab her by her hind legs in either correction or play. Over time I feel it could cause problems with not only her legs but also her hips.  A more immediate action would be that grabbing the legs and pulling them to the rear if she were to turn suddenly to one side or the other she could easily dislocate her leg from the hip socket.  It can also have a reaction on her knees known as luxacting patella, which is basically when the tendons around the knee cap are stretched.  Once this happens, the only way to fix it is with surgery and you are left with a doggie that will have arthritis issues before their time.

In addition to all the medical reasons not to do it.  There is the behavior side that this could make her more aggressive as she becomes older, make her have issues with having her rear legs or feet touched or handled and may even cause her to snap when they are touched for fear they will be pulled...

Yep....Tell him to stop!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I'm with Sharon! She knows more than me... but it just doesn't sound like a good idea! If "grab" Odin it's by his chest... during play. But for corrections we just say "hey" in a more stern fashion and he backs off.

Definitely tell the bf to stop!! We don't want anything bad happening to Lola!!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Whoa...Alicia's bf please don't do that!  :?  Like Sharon already said you can pull Lola's hips out of their socket. I've dealt with hips coming out of their sockets....and trust me it is very painful for them. There is no reason at all that you should be grabbing Lola's legs....none! Alicia, tell him to stop. Otherwise he will have to deal with all of Lola's aunties on this forum coming after him.  :lol:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Yep, till him to stop.  Bad for her hips and knees and to many potentially dangerous issues could arise just from the behavioral angle.

Alicia's bf...cut it out...or this auntie of Lola's is gonna use her free ticket (and bring her own iron skillet as a carry on) to fly over there and whack ya one!!!!  LAY OFF!!!!

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
hahahahah YEP ! i agree and uhmm Liz can come and give him some training hahahaa...

i think hes jsut not thinking about it..jsut explain to him what it can do to her physically and behaviorally..he wont want Lola to have issues...b/c of it

:D happy b/f correcting :D

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Put a pinch collar on the BF and correct his behavior.  HAHAHAHA kidding. Yeah doesn't sound like a good thing.  I agree with Ky, porbably jsut doen't know any better so inform him and then after words us ethe grying pan. Knowing is half the battle. GI JOOOOOEEEE... sorry had a lot of coffee today.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts