Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! We are getting our two new Boxer puppies on Tuesday. One of them, who is 8 weeks old, was diagnosed with a Grade 2 heart murmur by the breeder's vet. They seem to think he'll outgrow it by 6 months and say he doesn't have any trouble keeping up with his brothers and sisters.

Does anyone have experience with a grade 2 murmur? Just trying to prepare myself for all scenarios!

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
A grade 2 murmur is insignificant and most puppies usually out grow them. Nothing I would worry about at this time. Were the parents health tested?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A grade 2 murmur is insignificant and most puppies usually out grow them. Nothing I would worry about at this time. Were the parents health tested?
Yes, the parents were health tested! The breeder told us that she has had a few puppies with murmurs and they outgrew them. Hopefully that's the case for our guy!

Thanks for the feedback! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So we went to the vet last night and found that not only does our 8 week old puppy have a grade 2 murmur, but he also has an undescended testicle AND our 12 week old puppy has a grade 1 murmur. :( Our vet is saying if it were him, he'd send them back. We don't want to since we're already attached to them. He said if we want to keep them then he recommends getting echocardiograms done ASAP to make sure the murmurs aren't going to be bigger problems since they both have one.

Are we crazy to consider keeping them?

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Since Kaco said grade 2 is insignificant that many puppies outgrow this I would assume it is even more true for grade 1. I think they are too young to do echo's since4 they more than likely will outgrow them. You aid parents were heath tested two I trust you saw the paperwork. As far as the testicle not decending, this will make his neuter more expensive. I'm not knowledgeable e hough to really give advise not his b ut I'm sure Kaco can give you some insight. What has the breeder said?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since Kaco said grade 2 is insignificant that many puppies outgrow this I would assume it is even more true for grade 1. I think they are too young to do echo's since4 they more than likely will outgrow them. You aid parents were heath tested two I trust you saw the paperwork. As far as the testicle not decending, this will make his neuter more expensive. I'm not knowledgeable e hough to really give advise not his b ut I'm sure Kaco can give you some insight. What has the breeder said?
The breeder has said that her recommendation is to wait until 6 months to see if they outgrow them, and that the testicle still has time to descend. My husband is dead set on getting the echos done now though rather than waiting, because the vet said they'll be able to tell from it if the problem is going to go away, stay the same, or get better.

We do trust the breeder, but my husband just says he'd rather know now than wait. We got our other boxer from her and he never had a problem a day in his life.

Everything I have found online has said that their problems are insignificant, but the vet is basically preparing us for them to have shorter lives, not be able to go under anesthesia, etc, and it is such conflicting information.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts