Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
AzSun2006\";p=\"117062 said:
I just switched my puppy to the Kirkland puppy food and she likes it a lot..the breeder had her on IAMS and she was not eating it or gaining weight at all..I am hoping she will start to gain that weight now that she is eating a food she likes.
Yeah, Porter really likes it and he's been putting on some weight nicely (per the vets instructions).  Good luck with your puppy! I'm sure she'll fill out too!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
itsme68\";p=\"126085 said:
What is the best puppy food, in about 3 weeks my lil gypsy will be coming home she will be 6 wks old, my first boxer.
Start off with whatever the breeder is feeding and use that time to research good foods that are available to you locally...

·
Registered
43 Posts
If 28% protein is recommended max, is there a minimum to consider as well?  Some I've researched have as little as 21 and I didn't know if that was too low.

Also, anyone else using the PMI Exclusives puppy formula?  I just discovered my local feed store carries it and the ingredients sound really good.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
The 28% is for pups basically..Once they are full grown(over 18 mos) you could feed a higher protein...Too low of protein could actually be just as bad IMO...You need to have a good balance of ingredients...Their 2 puppy foods are both Chicken based, the large breed(which I wouldn't use) has 27% protein, while their regular puppy food is 29%, too much...Seems like a lot of filler tho...

---
INGREDIENTS: Chicken, chicken meal, cracked pearled barley, whole grain brown rice,
corn gluten meal, chicken fat preserved with mixed tocopherols (a form of Vitamin E),
beet pulp, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, salmon oil (a source of DHA),
fish meal, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement,
iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate,
copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate,
manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate,
manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6),
vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

I feedChicken Soup, here's the ingredients
Ingredients
Chicken, turkey, chicken meal, ocean fish meal, cracked pearled barley, whole grain brown rice, oatmeal, millet, white rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), potatoes, egg product, tomato pomace, duck, salmon, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, choline chloride, dried chicory root, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-carnitine, Enterococcus faecieum, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.  --

And here's what Taste of the wild, high prairie formula ingredients are:
---Ingredients
Bison, venison, lamb meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, roasted bison, roasted venison, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Just to add, the Taste of the Wild's protein is high, so for a pup you would want to use the Pacific Stream formula

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for the info.  My feed store carries the Chicken Soup as well, so maybe that's the route I need to go.  I still have about 5 more weeks until I pick up my puppy, so I have some time to research and compare.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Start off with whatever the breeder is using...Wait a few weeks before doing any transition....A new puppy has a lot to deal with anyways....When you do your transition, go slow...Here's how I do mine...1st week, 75% old food, 25% new..2nd week, 50% of each, 3rd week, 25% old, 75% new...Generally by that 3rd week you can tell if it's going to work or not....

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm really glad this was posted and made a sticky for those of us who are new to the forum and new puppy/dog owners :)  I had been doing some online research the past couple of days, including finding this forum, which has helped me IMMENSELY in making a choice as to what to feed my new puppy.

The breeder had her on Pedigree puppy food. I read enough elsewhere from the beginning to know that it was pretty much crap as one of the first things I had read was that the first ingredient should be a real meat. In Pedigree, of course, it is not. Here are the first 15 ingredients in the Pedigree puppy food:

1. Ground Whole Corn
2. Chicken By Product Meal
3. Rice
4. Corn Gluten Meal
5. Animal Fat
6. Wheat
7. Potassium Chloride
8. Wheat Flour
9. Dicalcium Phosphate
10. Natural Flavor
11. Salt
12. Brewers Dried Yeast
13. Caramel Color
14. Fish Oil
15. Vegetable Oil.

Yuck! Okay. So. I knew I wanted to transition her to something better and so I went to the grocery store (no big pet stores immediately near us) and picked up a bag of Iam's. Being new to this whole thing, I figured it looked better right off the bat as it DID have a "real meat" for the first ingredient, and of course it was more money (around $30 instead of around $13), so it must be better, right? Well. Here are the first 15 ingredients in Iams:

1. Chicken
2. Cornmeal
3. Chicken By Product Meal
4. Ground Whole Grain Sorghum
5. Chicken Fat
6. Dried Beet Pulp
7. Chicken Meal
8. Chicken Flavor
9. Fish Oil
10. Dried Egg Product
11. Potassium Chloride
12. Brewer's Dried Yeast
13. Salt
14. Caramel
15. Choline Chloride.

Right. So. I had started putting in just a very small amount (I'm talking like maybe half a tablespoon at most) of that stuff mixed in with her pedigree because I figured I'd change her over gradually, and I did that for a few days, but meanwhile I started doing more reading the past couple of days. That's when I found this site for example. And then I realized, er, Iams really isn't much better than the Pedigree. Corn? By Products? Ack! No, wrong!

So I'm happy to report that after getting such good advice and arming myself with a little more information, I went out yesterday (to the nearest big pet store which is a Petco and is around 50 minutes away) and bought a bag of Wellness Super5Mix Puppy Food, and THAT is what I will be transitioning Lila to! Here are the first 15 ingredients in Wellness:

1. Deboned Chicken
2. Chicken Meal
3. Oatmeal
4. Ground Barley
5. Salmon Meal
6. Canola Oil
7. Ground Brown Rice
8. Tomato Pomace
9. Rice Bran
10. Tomatoes
11. Natural Chicken Flavor
12. Rye Flour
13. Carrots
14. Spinach
15. Sweet Potatoes

No by products. No corn. No wheat. Real meats. Vegetables. Yes! Good!

It WAS kinda pricey; came to around $34 for a 15 lb bag. Too bad I didn't do still MORE reading before I bought it because I just now read something here saying that small local places are probably cheaper than bigger chain stores. For some reason I'd thought it would be the opposite. So I just made a call and found out there IS a small place about half the distance from me and they DO carry Wellness puppy food and THEY sell a 30 lb bag (so twice the size of what I bought) for $40.99! I paid over $30 for a bag half the size! But now I know for next time, right? :)

Anyway, sitting in my kitchen right now are three bags (and over $80) worth of puppy food. The Iams will never be touched again, what a waste. The Pedigree...well let me tell you it is INCREDIBLY tempting to throw it in the trash and ONLY give Lila the Wellness right this moment on!

But I won't because I don't want to distress her too much and know from reading that it is better to do it gradually. So I will do it gradually, replacing like a tablespoon of food at a time and every three days replacing another tablespoon and I figure that way it will take around 3 weeks to make the entire switch.

I know I'm going to feel much better when we at least reach the halfway point and I know she's not eating so much JUNK, and even better still when the switch is fully made!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pedigree Puppy - Chicken Flavor - 50 F

I was using this thinking that it hit my little one's requirements.

He is skinny and I couldnt get him to put on weight.

I recently switched over to all baked wilderness food and in just a week, i cant believe what a dramatic difference has taken place.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We have been using a mixture of "Chicken Soup" and "Pro Plan" dry food with about a half can of "Science Diet" Wet puppy food.  This is what mama eats while she has pups nursing and I also start using a similar mixture that is mashed up into sludge when I start to wean the pups off her milk.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
We recently switched over to Wellness Super 5 Mix Lamb, Barley, and Salmon.  Our 2 LOVE it, and it loves them (at least, so far!!  :roll: ).

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
The Wellness Large Breed puppy is working out well.  The Nutro gave him the runs.  When Gus got his shots this week, the vet mentioned that when he goes on adult food she wants him on something that is fairly low in fat.  The Whole Dog Journal's article on pancreatitis, in November's issue, talks about Boxers being prone to the disease.  I want to avoid all that this time.  Expensive stuff, it says only two cups a day instead of three.

Ann WI
Gustav - 12 weeks

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'm taking this information and storing it after my food testing is complete.  After doing some reading here and finding Taste of the Wild is readily available to me in my area, I'm attempting to switch Tyson from Science Diet Sensitive Stomach onto TOTW.  I don't keep the bags to test out the ingredients in the SS variety of Science Diet.  He certainly seems to like the TOTW so far so I'm hoping that if he successfully keeps it down, and it doesn't throw his system into a cyclone like it has been in the past, we'll give it a go.  My best hope is to put some weight on him.  He's really quite lean.  

Long story short, I'm taking "the Pepsi challenge."  I'll let you know in a few weeks what I find.  :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
WOW - Thank you very much - we are getting ready to bring our puppy home next month and have been struggling to find the right food.  We'll get a good quality puppy chow and then transition to Kirkland brand - we're there every week anyway right?!  Thanks again!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I havent brought our new baby girl home yet...however I know that we ended up feeding out golden merrik because its grain free and I can tell you....WOW!!! for him its great it was night and day for him! but the question is and will be what will be good for baby Breeze! This helps so thanks for doing the math!!!

101 - 120 of 124 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.