Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
My vet just warned me about a recent link that has been made between dogs eating grain-free diets and their developing heart disease. We've been feeding Laila TOTW for about 2 years (she's a little over 2 now), and she has been doing fine on it, but the vet is suggesting we switch to another food (anything by one of the larger, established companies that contains grain).

Have any of you made this switch based on your vet's advice? If so, can you suggest another good-quality dry food? I've been doing some research, and it seems hard to find something that measures up to TOTW.

Thanks!

J

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
From what I understand they haven't figured out what the exact link is. Not sure if its the use of legumes, lower taurine levels, etc.

I still feed the same thing but add sardines, mackerel and soft boiled eggs throughout the week for the protein and taurine.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Merrick & Acana are two manufactures which produce kibble as good or better than anything by TOTW
Pretty sure they have fewer recalls too.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
I veed Victor all life/puppy grain free. I believe it has added taurine which seems to be a factor. You could just add sardines to her diet as Matt said. I'm not sure how much/often is needed though. I'll post more when I hear back from manuf. or I remind the link on it.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I veed Victor all life/puppy grain free. I believe it has added taurine which seems to be a factor. You could just add sardines to her diet as Matt said. I'm not sure how much/often is needed though. I'll post more when I hear back from manuf. or I remind the link on it.
From what I read a can of sardines, mackerel or a few eggs a week is enough. Any taurine the dog doesn't need gets flushed out through urination.

I think the only thing to watch would be making sure you are not adding too many additional calories if you are watching your dogs weight, and to subtract kibble accordingly. Or if the dog has a fish sensitivity.

Oh and the smell of fresh sardines with "only" water added. Has some serious kick. lol

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
The large companies are Iams, Eukanuba, Royal Canin, and Purina according to the WSAVA recommendations. These companies formulate their foods using board-certified nutritionists. They're studying why dogs are getting DCM, and finding it is possibly related to some of the newer Boutique diets that are grain-free, and have exotic ingredients. Dog food manufacturers don't have to have their foods formulated by board-certified animal nutritionists, and possibly this problem is due to that issue. I bought a bag of Purina Pro-plan Bright Mind to switch over from the Fromm Reduced Activity (grain inclusive), until it's determined. My Boxers never paid much attention to the bags of dog food, but they keep standing over this bag of food, wanting more. It's the higher end foods, by these manufacturers, that are recommended for now.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I bet! You are a brave man.
lol. I couldn't find them in any stores by me without a bunch of stuff added. Salt, oil, etc. I found them online with nothing added except water, its triple the smell from the other stuff sold in supermarkets for some reason. :puke:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I feed my pup Fromms grain free or limited grains - he loves the Salmon Ala Veg. It has brown rice. He also likes the Whitefish and potatoes. I switch it up with lamb and chicken. He just tuned two in October and is finally at 65 pounds. He is lanky guy and eats about 5 cups a day but is really healthy. IMG_1763.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Lisark2017 He looks great! I think from the photo that he looks to be a good weight. I just got after my daughter our (her) boxer is getting too heavy. He is so lay and she isn't taking him for long enough walks. Going to cut his food back for awhile and see.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thank you Linda. Emmett’s vet is really happy with his weight. I think he is still adding muscle.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Merrick & Acana are two manufactures which produce kibble as good or better than anything by TOTW
Pretty sure they have fewer recalls too.

Emmett loved the taste of the Merrick food. Unfortunately, it was too rich for his system and he regularly had very loose stools.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Hmm well it is the "Taurine" thing for the most part, and dogs don't need it or ... did not in the past but ... something seems to be going on with the "Grain Free" fad??

I became a member (of grain free) with my GSD because of itching! It was really, really bad so I went "Grain Free." But I don't know maybe that solved one issue and created another???

The sardines, thing does work ( I have heard) but they made, no mention of the salt and oil?? And I just yet again saw another article, saying something is going on with "Grain Free??" WTH... at this point, I'm thinking screw it! I'll just start feeding Bella a can or two of cat food once a week and call it day. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Emmett loved the taste of the Merrick food. Unfortunately, it was too rich for his system and he regularly had very loose stools.

Merrick has different recipes, were you feeding the beef? We use pork or lamb, they're not quite as high in protein.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New member, long time boxer owner/lover. I am looking forward to learning best diet recommendations once we get our next 'girl'.

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Yes at this time it is unknown though they seem to be leaning toward the protein coming from more than 50% from legumes as opposed to met or fish. This actually would not surprise me. To me it makes a bit more sense in the relationship with taurine production. You will find taurine in meats n fish but you won't find it in legumes and if thats the main ingredient it could be the culprit. You have to read labels meat may be the first ingredient but the rest could be different legumes adding up the protein of those being more than the protein in meat. We shall one day know.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts