Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dobby dog has a very sensitive stomach, and loads of allergies. (Chicken, grass, pollen, certain molds) His Vet keeps telling me that he really shouldn't need a fully grain free diet, but he just seems to feel better/look better and act happier on grain free food.

I have been feeding him Pure Balance Salmon and Sweet Pea blend for about a year now, and have had no complaints. He loves his food and my, how his coat and eyes shine! However, due to some intestinal illnesses lately; I've been making his food quite often myself (or so it seems).

Is there any harm in feeding him ground turkey,beef or venison with pumpkin and a variety of other veggies? (Such as peas, green beans, sweet potato, carrots?) He is a larger dog (110 lbs), so I most certainly want to ensure he's getting all of the nutrients he needs. Are there supplements I would need to add to ensure his health?

My friends all think I've lost my mind, but it's hard to think kibble is better for his sensitive stomach than softer food without preservatives. I've looked at the canned/refrigerated tub versions of the soft grain free foods and simply cannot justify the expense. Almost double the cost of kibble!

Opinions?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
If you are wanting to home-cook I recommend you visit the BalanceIt site, and go to their formulated diets. You select the protein, the carb, and the software will balance out the diet with the amount of supplement needed. I fed an 80-lb dog a diet that was fish-based with the BalanceIt. It was the same cost as a commercial diet, but more work on my part. Factor in the cost of vet care if problems continue.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
When I was all Bully's I never an issue with kibble of any type, the Standard Kirkland stuff was fine. Rocky my GSD does not have the sensitive stomach thing but after he was three the allergies and the itching and fur loss were horrible!!! Black dog and grey skin and that first time the grey skin turned red!!! Off to the vet we go! Kenalog shot and antibiotics, seasonal issues and I did the vet thing, year after year. And then I just did want him to keep getting those shots ... the first two years or so he was good for the season, September to September but the last shot barely lasted thirty days??

So we switched to Kirkland Grain Free Natures Domain and while he does still have some itching ... there is no more Red Skin and no more fur loss and no more incessant scratching. :)

But nope he does not have the sensitive stomach thing. It's a bit to much for me but from what I understand the dogs on a raw diet don't have a lot of issues that dogs on Kibble do??? There are members here that have a good knowledge of the raw diet stuff if you want to know more. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts