Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any grain free food that's safe to feed? I switched my dogs off grain free due to the recent information released about heart disease but my dogs are not doing well on the non grain free and I want to switch back. My one boxer had been on grain free her whole life she is now 10 and had no problems till I switched to non grain free. Unfortunately I can not afford to feed raw with 3 boxers now that I am a stay at home mom.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I lost two Boxers to food connected cardiomyopathy I was using a grain free dog food ( a well known brand) I lost both of my dogs within 6 months of each other to DCM they were not at all related the only thing they had in common was being a boxer and the food that was it. I have recently heard of yet another Boxer who is dying of DCM that was switched from grain containing food to grain free the Vets advice to her was switch him immediately back to grain containing food. Since no one seems to know why grain free is killing so many dogs I would not use it at all. Dog Food advisor has some recommendations on grain containing formulas surely one of them would work for your dog. I will never make that grain free mistake again.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Take a look at Victor and / or email them. They have both grain free and not, but even their whole food does not contain corn or wheat, if I remember correctly. And if you go back to feeding your grain free diet, add a supplement. Sardines? I'm not sure of the amount though but pretty sure some on the forum will.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Some time ago my vet sent out a warning email to all their clients about this issue. They were seeing several cases of DCM but they had determined that the problem wasn't the lack of grains but rather the inclusion of Legumes (ie: peas, chickpeas, lentils, beans, potatoes and even sweat potatoes).
The suggestion was to avoid foods that contained these items in the first 10 ingredients.
We now live in an age where people are excluding grains from their own diets along with their pets. In an effort to appease customers food manufacturers are removing the grains (which they boldly advertise on the package) but then they have to replace the grains with something. To save money they add in the legumes as bonding agent and filler.

·
Super Moderator
7,011 Posts
I fed grain free foods for over a decade. Never had any heart issues. I also do annual heart testing on my crew via 24 hr heart holter. Been a raw feeder for over 10 years and thank goodness I still dont see heart issues.

It’s not just grain free foods that’s the issue, there have also been several grain inclusive foods included in the list.

Also why is the issue only happening in North America and no where else in the world? Is it certain pesticides causing the issue?

I’m thankful that I raw feed our crew of 4 and this isn’t something I need to be concerned with. Even a raw diet heavy in chicken which is cheap is better than any kibble out there IMO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts