Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I'm going to start Lexi on grain free food. From what I've been reading it seems like it might help with her soft stools and terrrrrible gas. I can't seem to find grain free puppy food. Do you think it's fine to start her on grain free adult food. She's 7 months old.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
249 Posts
Just do an all life stages, win win. I don't think it really matters anyway. One brand might have a single difference, like protein raised from 28 to 32 for puppies, while another brands puppy might be 42% protein, then another puppy formula is 22%. I'm a firm believer that most people on earth don't know how much protein they should eat themselves, much less feed their dog.

My pup LOVES Orijen. We are currently feeding Orijen Large Breed Puppy. His farts are less since the switch over to Orijen, and the addition of greek yogurt. We also had good luck on Earthborn Primitive Natural for a while.

Puppy Large

This is why I feed Orijen... no dog of mine will eat high carb, mostly grain, and low protein. I find it locally for $63 for 30lb bag.

Crude protein (min.) 38.0 %
Crude fat (min.) 16.0 %
Crude fiber (max.) 3.0 %
Moisture (max.) 10.0 %
Calcium (min./max.) 1.5 % / 1.7 %
Phosphorus (min./max.) 1.2 % / 1.4 %
Omega-6 (min.) 2.6 %
Omega-3 (min.) 1 %
DHA (min.) 0.6 %
EPA (min.) 0.3 %
AA (min.) 0.12 %
Carbohydrate (max.) 25%

Fresh boneless chicken*, chicken meal, fresh boneless salmon*, turkey meal, herring meal, russet potato, sweet potato, peas, fresh boneless turkey*, chicken fat, (preserved with mixed tocopherols), fresh whole eggs*, fresh chicken liver*, fresh boneless lake whitefish* fresh boneless walleye*.........

-Jim

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
All life stages kibbles are fine for puppies. I feed a couple of different ones. Dempsey eats Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream and is now transitioning to Wellness Simple Turkey and Potato (it was the only Wellness Simple formula that had a decent rating on dogfoodadvisor). I'm also going to eventually try him on Acana Chicken and Burbank Potato, just to see if he can handle grains (it has steel cut oats), but Acana also has a few grain free varieties that are very good. I like to rotate protein sources every so often to give him a variety.

A tablespoon of Greek no fat plain yogurt can help with the gas problem. I use a probiotic instead for Dempsey.

·
Registered
260 Posts
i've actually heard most people are moving toward getting puppies off all-puppy food as soon as possible and going to an all-stages... not sure if that's true though.

go grain free for sure-- 100%. i feed Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet-- sweet potato and chicken. the verdict is still out on the gas thing though. roxie's still got gas, so i'm not sure if it will help that

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I think I'm going to start Lexi on grain free food. From what I've been reading it seems like it might help with her soft stools and terrrrrible gas. I can't seem to find grain free puppy food. Do you think it's fine to start her on grain free adult food. She's 7 months old.

I wanted to switch to adult food as well bc it's more logical to spend 53$ for 30 lbs(adult) than $43 for 16( puppy). And a better food actually. I personally talked to my vet and he recommends staying on until a year old:-( see what your vets thoughts are about it. I just bought a new bag of puppy food which is a lamb and rice recipe he has always been on and he's never had issues. Maybe the next bag I'll switch over... I'm just unsure of the proper protein percentage amount he needs.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I personally talked to my vet and he recommends staying on until a year old:-( see what your vets thoughts are about it.
Vets know alot... but most seem dated on nutrition. My old vet practically tried to force Hills Science Diet onto my pup. First handful of ingredients were are carb fillers. Big companies pay vets to push this shitty food.

When my vet requested I put my dog on high junk, high carb food... well, she became the old vet. The new one says grain free is the way to go.

-Jim

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Vets know alot... but most seem dated on nutrition. My old vet practically tried to force Hills Science Diet onto my pup. First handful of ingredients were are carb fillers. Big companies pay vets to push this shitty food.

When my vet requested I put my dog on high junk, high carb food... well, she became the old vet. The new one says grain free is the way to go.

-Jim
Very true! In my next bag or two ill transition. Never thought I'd be so weird about what my dog eats especially when I don't watch what I eat!

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
We have been transitioning Murphy to grain free. She is doing great with it. We have decided to transition Pheona to grain free as well. I figure it s better for her in the long run. Not to mention when they are eventually on the same food it will be great when money is tight.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have Jubilee on Brothers Complete Grain/Potato Free kibble and she does fantastic on it.Ialso add fresh meat like chicken gizzards,hearts,venison,sardines,and high quality canned toppers.I have a beef heart in the crock pot right now.She looks forward to every meal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Brothers Complete is all life stages and never one recall. I rotate between the Red Meat and White Meat formula's.I will also rotate a bag of Fromms Grain Free and Merricks Grain Free ocassionally.Brothers is the freshest food by far that we have tried.The bag is completely air tight when you get it and is shipped within days after making it. Check out their website Brothers Complete or check them out on FB...

·
Registered
13 Posts
our 11 week old male is on Innova large breed puppy which the first 2 ingredients are chicken and turkey and has whole grains barley, oats and brown rice plus veggies etc he seems to be doing well on it. our adult mastiff is on taste of the wild the lamb formula

·
Registered
771 Posts
Vets are not really trained in the nutrition dept. I absolutely feel the exact opposite with the last comment. I feel there is proven evidence to suggest longer life and long quality of life with grain free food. Grain is not good for dogs digestive system. It is not designed for grain. It also causes their blood sugar to go up and down rapidly. Also, lots of dogs are allergic to grains in foods. Even if your dog has a great digestive system and not allergic, why would you feed something you know is just going to predispose your dog to health probs, IE cancer in the future? Grain free or RAW is the best food anyone could feed their dogs and not just statistics have proven, but also look at dogs on grainfree food. They look MUCH better than ones who eat foods with grain.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
My Vet said that its definitely not neccesary to put your dog on grain free. It's just a waste if money apparently. He recommended that I would switch him to adult food when he is 6-7 months.

I totally disagree with this and why I dont blindly follow what my Vet says without my own extensive research.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Most vets are not boxer experts, and carry the grain laden kibbles they do b/c its in their best financial interest... My vet pushes Royal Canin Vet Diets - ugh! None of the boxers I've had have been able to tolerate a grain inclusive kibble.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts