Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
Some dogs tolerate grain in their kibble, some don't.

Will a dog survive on a kibble with grains? Yes
Will a dog survive on Kibbles n Bits? Yes

Will I survive if I eat nothing but fast food laden with fat and preservatives every day? Yes

Is that the best choice of diets for a dog or for myself?

NO

:)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Before I switched to raw I was doing authority grain free its cheap an rated a lot higher than the rest look it up an comparevit to food twice the price you'll be surprised

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
All life stages kibbles are fine for puppies. I feed a couple of different ones. Dempsey eats Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream and is now transitioning to Wellness Simple Turkey and Potato (it was the only Wellness Simple formula that had a decent rating on dogfoodadvisor). I'm also going to eventually try him on Acana Chicken and Burbank Potato, just to see if he can handle grains (it has steel cut oats), but Acana also has a few grain free varieties that are very good. I like to rotate protein sources every so often to give him a variety.

A tablespoon of Greek no fat plain yogurt can help with the gas problem. I use a probiotic instead for Dempsey.
The Acana Chicken and Potato (includes steel cut oats) was a no-go for Dempsey (itching/scratching). Back to grain free! I just don't think boxers' systems can handle grains of any kind.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Reuben is 10 mo. & I feed him NutriSource Heartland Grain Free (all life stages) mixed with small-medium puppy which is grain free. I was using large breed puppy til I saw it had some corn in it so I stopped using it. NutriSource is reformulating it to be grain free.
I like NutriSource because it has never been recalled and it is a family owned company for 40 yrs. Plus they have a buyer incentive program - a free bag of food after you buy 12, and every bag you can scan for a $1.00 off coupon (download scanlife on your smartphone)! Ok I sound like a salesman but I really like this product & it is reasonably priced for grainfree. It may not be the absolute top of the line but it is pretty darn good & rated 4th tier on dog food advisor. Most importantly Reuben loves it & is thriving on it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Some dogs tolerate grain in their kibble, some don't.

Will a dog survive on a kibble with grains? Yes
Will a dog survive on Kibbles n Bits? Yes

Will I survive if I eat nothing but fast food laden with fat and preservatives every day? Yes

Is that the best choice of diets for a dog or for myself?

NO

:)
This is the BEST advice!! The manager at PetSmart explained it to us as the first few aisles at the back of the store (Pedigree, Science Diet, Alpo, Etc...) as McDonalds while the very front two aisles in the store (Blue Buffalo, Wellness, etc...) as a healthy, home cooked meal. I agree, can the survive on cheap food? Yes, but so can we. I wouldn't feed my child McDonalds everyday so why would I feed it to my fur baby? She's on Blue Buffalo Freedom Puppy and absolutely loves it. I've seen a huge difference in her coat, teeth, breath, stools, and gas (less of it. Yay!!).

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would just like to ask, where someone read that when a dog eats grains it can cause cancer in dogs. If so, I would like to also know what types of cancer? Please, educate me. I would like to see a dog health journal entry not another forum entry please. This is purely for my education.

By the way, I too am deciding on a proper diet to feed and am educating myself on all diets avail. Just wanting to pick out the best diet avail and make a educated decision for my new puppy (when I get one).

Thanks!

·
Registered
477 Posts
My pups are on Canine Caviar Holistic Grain Free Venison ALS and they are doing very well on it. It is the best they have done on any food so far and I have tried a few. But every dog is different, you have to find what is best for you. I switched my pups over to adult food at 6-months.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My pups are on Canine Caviar Holistic Grain Free Venison ALS and they are doing very well on it. It is the best they have done on any food so far and I have tried a few. But every dog is different, you have to find what is best for you. I switched my pups over to adult food at 6-months.
I have been meaning to tell you this. You have the most adorable puppies ever!! Everyone in my family loves their expressions in your profile picture! :hrtbounce:

·
Registered
477 Posts
I would just like to ask, where someone read that when a dog eats grains it can cause cancer in dogs. If so, I would like to also know what types of cancer? Please, educate me. I would like to see a dog health journal entry not another forum entry please. This is purely for my education.

By the way, I too am deciding on a proper diet to feed and am educating myself on all diets avail. Just wanting to pick out the best diet avail and make a educated decision for my new puppy (when I get one).

Thanks!
Check out this article. Scroll down to the section with the heading "the right diet":

Is Cancer Prevention for Dogs Possible? - Whole Dog Journal Article

·
Registered
85 Posts
21 - 35 of 35 Posts