Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I am new the forum and new to boxers  so I need some help, and wasn't quite sure where to post this.  My son has 2 boxers one is less then a year and the other is about 5.  The 5 year old un-neutered male is getting bumps on his head.  It always seem to happen this time of year, and I am not it is allergies or related to the weather.  My son has only been in NY now for just about a year, he was living in San Diego when he got Rocky.  Rocky also got the bumps in CA.  Rocky can get them around his muzzle area, and sometimes under his arms.  I have him a medicated shampoo with clorahexidine (sp) in it, and have done some research on Pyroderma, but still doesn't make alot of since to me.   I have read that antibodicts are needed for this and bathing.  I am heavily involved in border collie rescue and german shepherd rescue, but have nothing to back me on boxers.  The bump around his muzzle can get ozzy, and bleed, the ones on his head you know are there because the fur gets raised.  The are hard and crusty at times.  My son is not in the best finacial situation, but I am more then willing to help with what ever is needed, he loves his dogs, and I am a proud grandma to these wonderful boxers of his.  I apoligize if I have put this is the wrong area, but any help would be appreciate.  Thanks
Kay

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Welcome Grandma Kay :lol: Don't know about the bumps, this time of year in NY ours get lots of black fly bites but they're usually round red blotches on the belly and ears, never any discharge or scabbing over. You could try the conservative route and try benadyl (dosing instructions in health section) and see if the bumps decrease. If that fails, I'd make the trip to the vet. Any pics of those grandkids???? :lol:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome Kay...I would try the Benadryl, but my concern is that this is something that has been happening to Rocky every year, if I understand right? Seasonal allergies maybe? Angel has a bit more of a runny nose due to the pollen, but no bumps..If that doesn't seem to help, I agree a trip to the vet might be in order....Hoping you can get some answers for Rocky

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you everyone for the welcome and for all your help.  Rocky does get this every year at the same time.  I am also thinking allergies.  I will start some benadryl and see where it gets me.  I also was reading around here and read something about using witch hazel on them, I think I want to give that a try also.  I know it is not flea bites he is on frontline plus.  I am also concidering changing his diet.  I have a shepherd here that I rescued from Long Island that has allergies to everything under the sun, so allergies are not new to me.  I feed my shepherd Ivo, with no grain and this has worked wonders.  I do have pictures of my grandboxers but don't know how to post them, I would love to share if anyone can tell me how.  Thanks again everyone, I very much appreciate it.

Kay

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Howdy from Texas and welcome! :D
Good luck with the allergies.  They can be a pain. :roll:   We just use benadryl, but I use very little.  Just one little pill at meal times.
I'm not very good at explaining the pic thing, someone else can help there. :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Kay, there is a Sticky topic in the Announcement section that would help you..Most of us use a phot sharing program to upload from like Photobucket. Copy the image tag and paste it right in your post

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I hope you can find the information you need on here...there is all kinds of good stuff on here to help you get better aquainted with the breed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts