Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone gives their boxer anything for their urine PH level.. so it stops turning the grass yellow or dead?  I have seen pills and other stuff at Petsmart for this but I was just checking to see what anyone gives theirs-- if they have this problem?  Thanks..

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Best thing I can say is if you are right outside with them when they go to dilute it with water. I have done this and it works but I have never gave Chloe any of the other stuff cause I don't trust whatever is in it that makes their urine weaker.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
beanie\";p=\"81353 said:
I just get Hondo to aim for weeds so I don't have to buy Round-Up. LOL
ROTFLMAO, Yup that will work....Well our grass is pretty dead right now, being winter and i never really noticed in the summertime that I had any yellow spots..I'm kinda leery about giving anything to to adjust their PH, so I am not much help, sorry

·
Registered
412 Posts
dyskrasia\";p=\"81366 said:
I heard tomatoes are good for this, but I can't seem to get my dogs to eat them.
I am pretty sure that Tomatoes are in the nightshade family and are best avoided for dogs.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I seem to remember reading that as well, have to find it

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies-- I have to take him out on a leash.. and he always goes in the same spot, needless to say killing the grass.  Anyways thanks!!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
The reason it burns the grass is because of the high nitrogen content of the urine along with the pH (acidity) of the urine.

What a dog eats can be a factor in this problem. The way a dog metabolizes or breaks down its diet, and how it eliminates normal by-products in the urine will determine how high the nitrogen content is and what the pH content is also.

Some dogs can benefit by adding a tablespoon of baking soda to the food, or a little tomatoe juice to the food. This makes the urine less acid and may help, but it is a try and see thing. Some dogs will continue to

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Odin has this problem too... I bought these Grass Tablet things at Petsmart to feed him... they aren't cheap but they did work. Reason I say did is because they aren't cheap and right now we don't have $25 or so to put into that a long with Heartguard and K9 Advantix. If you can figure out how to stop it they also have stuff in that same area to repair the damaged grass.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I noticed a decrease in the burning with my last dog when I had him on cranberry juice.  His pee was extremely strong.  It looked like yellow highlighter.  Had bloodwork done on him and everything.  Nothing wrong with him, just the way he was.  Anyway, watering the spot down is probably the best way to deal with it.  If you'll notice, the edges of the burnt grass is usually extremely green (because of the nitrogen aka fertilizer).  So, even if you water it down you'll probably end up with a bunch of green spots all around the yard.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Found this about tomatoes from http://www.lacetoleather.com/fataltodogs.html

Tomatoes (plant and fruit) contain tomatine, an alkaloid related to solanine. As the fruit ripens, the tomatine is metabolized. Therefore, ripe tomatoes are less likely to be problematic for animals. Clinical signs of poisoning include lethargy, drooling, difficulty breathing, colic, vomiting, diarrhea or constipation, widely-dilated pupils, paralysis, cardiac effects, central nervous system signs (e.g., ataxia, muscle weakness, tremors, seizures), resulting from cholinesterase inhibition, coma and death. (This information comes from veterinarians, and the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center.) (All parts of the plant except the tomato itself are poisonous to humans, although some people are sensitive to the ripe fruit also.)

Tomatoes also contain atropine, which can cause dilated pupils, tremors, and heart arrhythmias. The highest concentration of atropine is found in the leaves and stems of tomato plants, with less in unripe (green) tomatoes, and even less in ripe (red) tomatoes.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
My parents have this problem, and always have 2-3 watering cans filled, waiting for one of the dogs to pee. Then they water it down LOTS. That fixes the dead grass issue. Plus it's easier / cheaper / safer than giving your dog a pill for it.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I've done the watering it down thing... hasn't worked for me... and it rains here like everyday... it's really just one spot now... I've heard about cranberry juice... was thinking about trying that a while back.
Good thread Rodimus!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have tried the pills that you can get from Petsmart and they did work alittle but ended up being an expensive addition to his meals because you have to go by the weight.  I ended up pulling up the now dead bush and putting rock there.  drenching the area does help then come fall I dig up the other yellow areas and put down new soil and seed it and come spring seed it some more and patch it up.  You can buy those pee posts they attract the dog to one area.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts