Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

So we have an 11 month old female boxer (Rey). She is typically great while I’m home, couch potato, doesn’t grab things she shouldn’t, doesn’t jump up on counters, happy to lay around and chew a bone etc. (she does get plenty of exercise in our fenced in yard)...Problem is, all those behaviors go out the window when I’m working and my wife is home. Within 20 minutes of being let out of the cage she’s grabbing everything left and right, pulling things off tables and counters etc etc. My wife can’t let her out of her sight for 2 seconds, yet I can leave her on the couch with my kids and get a shower, do the dishes or laundry or whatever, and when I get back she’s still on the couch.

Little background info- My wife and I work opposite schedules, when she’s working I’m home and vice versa. So one of us is always home and it’s fairly equal amounts of time meaning it’s not like I’m the primary caretaker. We’ve had her since about 9 weeks old. I have always been more strict and always corrected bad behaviors from day 1, whereas my wife was much more lenient.
Anyone else dealt with this sort of thing, essentially two different dogs for two different owners? What do you think is the cause, and how would you go about correcting it? Thank you for your help!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Welcome to the3 forum and what a beautiful over and I of course am partial to brindles. Yes I've heard th is before your wife isn't strong enough with her I would presume. I would not give her a lot of free time from her crate if she cannot behave. Your wife is going to have to treat her just like a puppy, which she still is. Continued training is key I'm not a trainer but some others on here can give you advise BTE and Chip has lots of links. My boxer was not totally trustworthy until he turned 3.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
OK well first ... that is not a great picture to make your case with?? Because... she looks like a perfect angle, to me and not the wild child you describe?? But ... Boxers you know, so I'll take your word on the "Bad Dog" thing.:)

I don't know what the situation is with the difference between your wife and you exactly??? But I am fairly comfortable in saying that "I" trained my dogs. All my wife had to do is "tell them what to do." And the pointy end of the spear of was our formerly Human Aggressive GSD, Rocky. He was (could be) a scary SOB! But she had no problem handling him in public. Hands off was the only rule in public and she became so enamored with him that our current "problem" is next dog a Boxer or a GSD???

But back on point ... the solution to your current issues are much simpler than you would imagine ... most likely??? And they always annoyed the crap out of me with the "exercise" thing on GSDForum buttt ... exercise is important but it's not everything.

Exercise alone will "not" solve your issues and having a large yard for the dog to do "whatever" is not sufficient! Your dog does not need you to run hog butt wild in the back yard?? But she does need you to go on a proper "Structured Walk!" If you want to get the "Crazy Under??? Then " the first step" ... is to "Walk" your dog! Pretty much daily for at least two weeks, I would say???

That as a "part" of behavioral solutions ... is so simple, that it actually took me "literally" years, to understand how I had gotten my my Over Size Human Aggressive Working line GSD under control, seemingly without effort??? Rocky ... was the only dog I had serious "issues" with and he was also the only dog "I did not walk." We moved from the big city, San Jose Ca to NV. And exercise was easy drive a quarter mile to open desert, open the car door and you know ... go for it dog! That seemed to work out fine , until it did not??? The only dog I had serious ... send you to the hospital issues (for stitches-issues with) was the only dog ... I did not walk, lesson learned as they say. When I first start working with a dog and I use a Slip Lead leash, I don't say a word to the dog, all we do is "Walk." I got more of course but "the Walk" is key to uh everything. And I'm not a "Pro" but Larry Khron, is and here is what he says about the "Walk Thing." :

And of course there is also the "Place Command." Larry has some minor quibble on the necessity of doing both (walks and Place) I suppose?? But I don't my (Formerly, Human Aggressive GSD) was always kept in "Place" when company came over (he was not a fan of company in his home!) And I kept company out of his face, worked out fine. :)

Training Place can be found here.:
http://www.boxerforums.com/training/183298-fearful-anxious-flat-crazy-place-command.html

In closing ... I'll add that I have written literally millions of words on dog stuff over the years. And not once has a poster said "my dog is well behaved on leash and can hold a two hour Place Command and is still wild and out of control??" I suppose it could happen but I've never heard of such?? Welcome aboard in any case and she's a cutie. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the3 forum and what a beautiful over and I of course am partial to brindles. Yes I've heard th is before your wife isn't strong enough with her I would presume. I would not give her a lot of free time from her crate if she cannot behave. Your wife is going to have to treat her just like a puppy, which she still is. Continued training is key I'm not a trainer but some others on here can give you advise BTE and Chip has lots of links. My boxer was not totally trustworthy until he turned 3.
Thanks for your help! I actually did recommend my wife treating her as if she’s a 10 week old pup etc. We did have her in puppy training in the fall, but my dad had/has some health issues which made it tougher to have someone to watch our kids. That’s definitely something we have to try and fit back into our schedule though. We’ll have to try more crate time etc for sure

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK well first ... that is not a great picture to make your case with?? Because... she looks like a perfect angle, to me and not the wild child you describe?? But ... Boxers you know, so I'll take your word on the "Bad Dog" thing.:)

I don't know what the situation is with the difference between your wife and you exactly??? But I am fairly comfortable in saying that "I" trained my dogs. All my wife had to do is "tell them what to do." And the pointy end of the spear of was our formerly Human Aggressive GSD, Rocky. He was (could be) a scary SOB! But she had no problem handling him in public. Hands off was the only rule in public and she became so enamored with him that our current "problem" is next dog a Boxer or a GSD???

But back on point ... the solution to your current issues are much simpler than you would imagine ... most likely??? And they always annoyed the crap out of me with the "exercise" thing on GSDForum buttt ... exercise is important but it's not everything.

Exercise alone will "not" solve your issues and having a large yard for the dog to do "whatever" is not sufficient! Your dog does not need you to run hog butt wild in the back yard?? But she does need you to go on a proper "Structured Walk!" If you want to get the "Crazy Under??? Then " the first step" ... is to "Walk" your dog! Pretty much daily for at least two weeks, I would say???

That as a "part" of behavioral solutions ... is so simple, that it actually took me "literally" years, to understand how I had gotten my my Over Size Human Aggressive Working line GSD under control, seemingly without effort??? Rocky ... was the only dog I had serious "issues" with and he was also the only dog "I did not walk." We moved from the big city, San Jose Ca to NV. And exercise was easy drive a quarter mile to open desert, open the car door and you know ... go for it dog! That seemed to work out fine , until it did not??? The only dog I had serious ... send you to the hospital issues (for stitches-issues with) was the only dog ... I did not walk, lesson learned as they say. When I first start working with a dog and I use a Slip Lead leash, I don't say a word to the dog, all we do is "Walk." I got more of course but "the Walk" is key to uh everything. And I'm not a "Pro" but Larry Khron, is and here is what he says about the "Walk Thing." :

The BEST Dog Training Tool There Is Guaranteed: Structured Walk - YouTube

And of course there is also the "Place Command." Larry has some minor quibble on the necessity of doing both (walks and Place) I suppose?? But I don't my (Formerly, Human Aggressive GSD) was always kept in "Place" when company came over (he was not a fan of company in his home!) And I kept company out of his face, worked out fine. :)

Training Place can be found here.:
http://www.boxerforums.com/training/183298-fearful-anxious-flat-crazy-place-command.html

In closing ... I'll add that I have written literally millions of words on dog stuff over the years. And not once has a poster said "my dog is well behaved on leash and can hold a two hour Place Command and is still wild and out of control??" I suppose it could happen but I've never heard of such?? Welcome aboard in any case and she's a cutie. :)
Thanks for all the info! Yes she certainly is a cutie! N thats the thing, she is an angel for me, but the devil for my wife haha. Like i said the difference between my wife and I is that i am more strict. I wasn't afraid to correct the puppy whereas she would say "well she's just a pup, she doesn't know any better" but now that the pup is 55 pounds its not so cute anymore haha. Yeah we would love to get her in more structured training, problem is we have two young kids and i work till 6pm and she works till 8pm (on opposite days). So our schedules don't allow for too much in the way of training classes. Same can be said for structured walks, tough to do with 1 adult and 2 young kids and a puppy. So the majority of her exercise is playing fetch or frisbee etc.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
OK ... well I tried to be brief and this is what happens???
I'm "not" saying you need to enroll your dog in classes or find a trainer??? Quite the opposite in fact. I believe that anyone can fix there dog themselves, all it takes is time commitment and yeah knowing what to do.

But if I must ... the whole back story behind "Rules/Structure and Limitations" can be found here.:

German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - My 11 month old GS is crazy!

And the vast majority of that are things/changes that a comptant qualified trainer that could actually help with your dog, are changes that they would tell you to make in the home anyway ... nuff said. :)

I look at your girl and what I see is 100% all American Line Boxer! And what you describe is uh ... what they do! My two favorite breeds are Boxers and Wl GSD's. And out of those "I flat don't recommend WL GSD's to anyone I know!

A poorly behaved WL GSD is a law suit looking for a place to happen. And a poorly behaved Boxer ... well by and large that tends to be more of a hair pulling experience???

Nothing you describe sounds unusual??? Boxers are not in the top ten of dog IQ charts but they are not at the bottom either! They simply, especially the girls are more interested in doing what they want to do. Cause you know whatever it is you want them to do does, not seem like that much fun?

But it's a phase and once you break through it, after seemingly endless repetitions of whatever ... one day ... you will see the wheels spin in there eyes and a "Oh that's what dad means monument?? And then instant compliance, from that point on, everything becomes a piece of cake. In Boxer world the females are the more challenging of the two sexes ... now you know. :)

And as for the exercise think?? I felt "obligated" by others to say my piece. The fact of the matter is I did the exercise think ... literally endless miles of open desert available when we moved to NV! And on GSDFORUM one member ran his dog 13 miles everyday!

And it made no difference to his dogs in home behaviour??? To quote "what I had created was a well conditioned tool of a dog and after a short nap the dog go on for hours???

So you know exercise ... did not work?? As for me and my PIA "Pack Fighting" (send you to the hospital for stitches ...breaking up them fights!) Human Aggressive ie I don't much care for uh anyone save for you and Marilyn, he was fully obedience trained and well exercised and walked well on leash. But sometimes being to good at something can be an issue?? It took me exactly, less than, five minutes to leash train him. So you know ... no need to "Walk him??" That was an expensive/painful mistake!!

But actually getting it right with him, was so freaking simple that it took me literally years, to understand what I had done ... seemingly, without much effort??? It was only when I found Larry Khron ... that I finally understood what I'd done?? The "secret to creating a well behaved dog ..." is to "Walk them!" That's really all I did/do and the rest of that story is here.:
What would my dog do? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

I don't have kids and I don't work your hours but I assume you came here looking for answers?? The balls in your court now. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts