Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week ago Scout had a growth on her chest removed and biopsied.
Thankfully it was NOT an MCT, just a benign skin tag.
She came home with a 2-3" incision with four stitches. A week later, we were back at the vet because her stitches opened. This time home with ten stitches, and less then two days later, she has popped open a couple of the new stitches.
She's been wearing a cone, and after the latest restitch, we also have a t-shirt on her. She can't reach the incision with her mouth or any of her paws, and between my wife and myself, she isn't out of our sight except when we're asleep. Not sure what is causing the issue.
We'll be headed back to the vet this morning!

Any suggestions to help us through this issue? Has anyone tried a Thunder shirt or something similar? As we know, getting something to fit a boxer is a challenge.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Good news about the biopsy.(y)

Maybe the vet just isn't very good at stitching? I've had 4 growths removed, two very small ones(required only a stitch and some glue), and two larger ones.The last one requiring 12 inside and 11 outside .

The two larger ones weren't in the greatest of areas. One on the shoulder which was constantly in motion whenever he wasn't laying down, and one on the rib cage. I know they did inside and outside stitches to close it up. Never had any issues. The last one(the largest incision), I had him light jogging at 8 days(they say 10) but it was healed at around 7.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good news about the biopsy.(y)

Thanks, Matt. It was great news, so that's why I'm trying not to let this bother me too much.

I was wondering the same thing when I saw the first set of 4 stitches, thought maybe the vet tech did them rather than the doc since it was just a skin wound. The second set of 10 looked good and tight.

I sent a picture and just spoke with the vet, and he believes that the stitches are holding, and what I'm seeing is the normal 2nd-day healing process. But does want us to keep on eye on it and bring her in if we have concerns.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Well that's good news, hopefully that's all it is and Scout is good to go in a couple days.

The hardest part is keeping them calm for those 1st 7-10 days. lol

·
Registered
468 Posts
I am glad your dogs biopsy came back good. I hate it when they have to have stitches its hard keeping them from picking at them plus I think their skin is a little thin so its hard to hold them sometimes. There is a blow up collar at Pet smart and other places that kinda looks like a life preserver but it works one of my dogs went frantic with the cone. Another person I know used one of those pool noodles they just cut it size threaded the regular collar thru and put it back on the dog worked well.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
An inflatable collar would be a good first step! But you also need to keep her in a "lock down," until the stitches heal. Most likely two weeks or so of on leash only??

Boxers can reach extreme "speeds," in the smallest of spaces ... if given the chance! And doing that is gonna rip out stitches no matter how many the vet puts in.

An while the Thunder shirt could not hurt??? If she can reach it ... she'll just rip it to shreds??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts