Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm from Singapore. I don't have a Boxer, but I'm considering one. I have two golden retrievers. A year old male, Monty & a 2.5 year old female, Chloe. I hope to learn more about Boxers before I get my own.

Thanks to everyone in advance.

This is us.

Chloe, me, Monty & my goddaughter Sugar.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the forum. Your retrievers are beautiful.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi welcome to boxer forums.  I just got my first boxer almost two months ago.  He is 16 weeks and so smart.  I had a golden for a while.  I think if you do decided to get a boxer you must be prepared for the energy difference.   My golden would lie around which my boxer does not.  I am not sure how much of this is puppy and how much is boxer though.  My puppy is also very smart.  He was potty trained in four days.  Tricks he knows so far are sit, high five, touch (touches a target on the floor or in my hand), fetch, door, bark, speak, talk (he makes a rolled r sound
) heel and come.  He knows his leash manners, sitting whenever I stop moving as well as not pulling.  He is a bit hard headed about chasing the cats though.  He is also a sweet heart with my daughter.  I know that many of the people on here have a lot of great knowledge that has helped me.  One thing I can say is to really study the breed standard before you start selecting.  I look forward to hearing about what you decided to do.
~Anne

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for the welcome. Chloe & Monty thank you for the compliments as well.

Truth is, I'm deliberating between a boxer & a dobermann. I'm not rushing because I will be sending Monty for obedience in January. I understand that boxers are working dogs & there will be an energy difference between a boxer & a golden retriever & honestly, I'm more than prepared for that.

I'm hoping to learn from your experiences with boxers & what to expect if I get my own. Thanks again.

Regards,
lian, Chloe & Monty.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Wow, Singapore,, how cool...welcome to the forum..Your Goldens are beautiful. My second favorite breed as that's what my sister has & her Jake is wonderful.

Boxers are definitely way different than Goldens, but I have no doubt they can live together very well. Your boxer baby will keep your Goldens entertained with it's antics & also encourage play & exercise. Boxers get along with other dogs very well & people, esp kids..Boxers are highly intelligent & the repition method for training does not usually work as they get bored easily. Sounds like you have doing a lot of research,,good for you...Pick the boxer over the Dobie,, :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi, welcome to the board. I have a Golden Retriever, 4 years old, a real sweetheart with a golden heart. I now also have a 4 month old Boxer ( got him at 8 weeks old).  It was love at first sight between Buddy ( Golden) and my Boxer Mitch.  Yes, the temperament is different and Mitch makes sure Buddy does not lie around much...LOL    They get along famously and it is so cute to watch both of them playing, running after the balls, digging holes in unison to catch gophers and Buddy even lets Mitch eat out of his bowl! They complement each other perfectly even though they are so different.  There is never any fighting over anything, whether toys or food. They share equally.  Buddy has been elevated to Saint status for his unbelievable patience. No other dog would have tolerated all the shenanigans Mitch pulls on Buddy. But Buddy also teaches Mitch that when it's enough he means it. Mitch then retreats....LOL. I don't think Mitch would be the Pup he is without Buddy's influence. Buddy is a wonderful teacher and the perfect companion for Mitch.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Welcome! Your Goldens are gorgeous!

As others have mentioned, temperaments are very different between boxers and goldens. Goldens are more laid back, have less energy, seem more contented, and are very willing to please their owners, no questions asked.

Boxers are different in that they're a very high energy breed, they are "busy" and always have to be doing something (it's the working breed thing) and they're much more of an independent thinker than a golden is. In training a boxer, you have to make them think that it's *their* idea, or it ain't happening. ;) Because of this, training can be a bit of a challenge (many use the term "stubborn"), but they are very smart and it definitely keeps things interesting. For quite some time, the common thought among trainers was that boxers were stupid and untrainable, which is totally untrue. Boxers are very smart, but they're independent thinkers, so your training methods need to be altered to reflect that.

Having said all that, they are very pack oriented, and they have been called "The Peter Pan of the dog world", because they live to play until the day they pass on and they usually act like puppies all the way up and until that day.

Dobies are very similar to boxers, with the exception that they're less goofy than boxers are. Their play drive isn't *as* strong, and it has been my experience in owning a dobe that their pack drive isn't quite as strong. They too, however, are independent thinkers, and you have to tailor your training methods around them.

Make sure to locate a responsible breeder that breeds with temperament, health and conformation in mind. Without focus on temperament, it is very easy for these breed traits to become lost, at which point, there is no guarantee of what you're going to get.

Good luck! Keep us posted on what you decide!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts