Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lost my best friend on Saturday to stomach cancer. He just turned 8 years old, but was also diagnosed with Cardiomyopathy back in January. The void created is almost unmanageable at this point. For folks that have gone through this, how long did you wait to get another boxer? Did it help?

Part of me needs something to fill the void but I also worry that I'll always be comparing everything to him, the perfect dog.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Sorry for your loss, my condolences.

All depends on the person really. Only you can decide when you are ready. One thing I would advise against is comparing any dog to a previous dog. I have had several and they all hold a different place for me, but I never tried to compare them cause they are all different. They all had their different quirks and personalities and thats what made them all individuals and great in their own ways.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
I can sympathize with what your going through, I lost my 10 month old Dutch Shepard to a sudden onset of septic arthritis and was devastated. It's never easy to loose a dog but a 10 month old puppy, that just tore a hole in my soul.

Like you I was left with a huge void in my life, the kind that can only be filled with a dog. I absolutely could not bring myself to get another Shepard because like you, the memories would just be too hard to deal with. I had rescued a Boxer in the past and he was a fantastic dog but I never got to enjoy "puppyhood" as he was 14 months when I got him. I decided that a Boxer would be perfect for me but since my last guy was a Fawn I put my efforts into finding breeders who were producing litters with Brindles.

Boxers are a breed that many people seem to lock into and end up having several in their lifetimes and I can understand why. I wouldn't worry about constant "comparisons" if you get another Boxer but perhaps look for a puppy that's a different colour and/or sex then your last dog.

I can't stress enough however how important it is to do your research and find a good quality breeder who will focus on health and temperament. Don't rush this just to fill the void. As hard as it is to deal with the emptiness of not having a dog in your life it would be much worse if you rushed out and got a dog with health problems.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I am so sorry you lost your dog that way. I lost my previous two dogs to cardiomyopathy. It was very hard to move on from but I did get new dogs first I researched a breeder and talked with her several times then I decided to get on her waiting list and I got my little girl 6 months later I had some time to grieve but I needed a dog in my life and no other dog seems to make me happy but a boxer. It was love at first sight when I got her she had me instantly wrapped I was apprehensive at first but she made all that go away then a year later I got her half brother they are best friend and play a lot and make the grief I felt and still feel a little easier. I don't feel like I have ever replaced any of my dogs I just think of it as an in addition to because all of them are different. I feel all of them around me all the time but I have these two now to make my life fun again so whenever you feel you are ready its the time to make this move don't do it before

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
I am sorry for your loss. It always hurts to lose a dog. And as for how long it hurt's?? Well well that depends entirely on the circumstances and the individual??

Sudden traumatic losses ... out of the "Blue??" Are pretty much the worst of circumstance's one minuet your dog is there and the next he's gone?? I lost my first Boxer/Pitt mix in an accident that was my fault! And I could not let of the guilt ... I was diagnosed as "Suicidal and had PTSD. I was on drug therapy for ... four year's??

And my Stewie was a fawn dog and was "very" much a Boxer in behavior and for four years ... I could not engage with a Fawn Boxer ... without breaking into tears! So of course my wife was worried about so she found us another Boxer! A Brindle pup ... "Hedi," ...sigh BYB puppy we did know?? And Hedi had "PARVO!" She was a game a little trooper, and she spent her "One Week," of life of with us at the Vet during the day and her evening at home with me administering IV's.

She was a game little girl but to small and to weak and she died on a Thursday night in my arm's ... so much for getting over a loss with another Dog/Boxer??

So that was two Boxer's down as it was and I still wanted a Boxer ... and maybe one year later, (Parvo in the yard maybe??) but I was running out of color's??

Now at the time "Breeder's" were still putting putting down "White Boxer's!!" The early 2000's in America!! Well that seemed like crap to me!! So of course ... a "White Boxer," was what I wanted! Aww, well I still did know not what a BYB was but ... I did better!

I got my White Boxer my beloved Struddell (Avatar) and I did much better with her sigh for a while?? But in year eight and (right on course) DM struck?? Still with pretty much 24/7 care and me struggling to manage her care ... she did barely manage to make it to the ten year mark. Which depending on where you look ... seems to be par for the course for most Boxers??

Frankly I call BS on that, the larger the Dog the shorter there life and Boxer's aren't that big?? But ... whatever that's not my call to make. Irish Wolf Hound's average life span is 6 years!!! So you know there is that ...

Ok a long tangent here ... but my point is that "comparing a new Boxer," to one you had "could/may" be an issue ..."color can be important!" But if you at least had "year's" of good time's with that color Boxer ... it does help??

But that is a theory on my part. Cuz, I suppose ... I messed up?? If you live with a partner?? And if you grieve to long ... they will think your being silly?? And they will find a dog for you!

I lost Struddell in 2013 and this time I had ton's of good memories, with her! So I wanted another "Female White Boxer!!"

And I wanted local cuz I wanted to chose my girl in person!! But sigh ... after six year's my wife was done and she took over! So now I have a "Bella," and that was an issue for me cuz "Bella," is not a "Bob!!" So you know in a Boxer household two females ... can be a "serious freaking issue," so yeah ...

But back on point ... the first two week's of loss ... is I think typically as bad as the grieving is gonna get on under normal circumstances???

And it made be hard to believe but if your guy had Cardiomyopathy Issues also?? He hung in there for there you! Cuz Cardiomyopathy ... alone can take them out in the blink of an eye!! On here we have had a pup's that were gone at six month's old! And other's that have dropped over dead while playing with owner's playing and other's that have dropped over dead with owner's on site!! So as much as losing your dog sucked he did spar you that ....

As for me sigh well I'm still pretty ticked off that Bella is a girl!!! I still want a another "White Boxer!" I did not like my life with Struddell ended but I had eight year's of good times with her! So I'm not that concerned with comparison's?? But having to chose a "Boy," "now," ... really tick's me off!!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Lost my best friend on Saturday to stomach cancer. He just turned 8 years old, but was also diagnosed with Cardiomyopathy back in January. The void created is almost unmanageable at this point. For folks that have gone through this, how long did you wait to get another boxer? Did it help?

Part of me needs something to fill the void but I also worry that I'll always be comparing everything to him, the perfect dog.
Yes, getting another helps. It's very hard to lose them. And it does not get easier as you get older. Give it a couple weeks. You'll start remembering the fun times and be grateful for the blessing of him in your life for 8 years. :(

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sorry for your loss OP. Condolences to you.

For one thing, remember the good times! Getting another pup will help, but maybe take a couple of months...?

Every dog is different, hate to sound cliche.
Your new doggy won’t ever fill the hole left in your heart by your old pup. But you will have new experiences and make new memories with them. Taking your time will help you know when you may be prepared to take on a brand new doggie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts